Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Tire Wear Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Wear Problems

First let me say I have had the car on 4 different alignment machines. The car has PERFECT alignment when tested but the front tires have wear problems. The left front wears on the outside and the right front wears on inside. It is not a feathered pattern, it is even wear. This has happened with several sets of tires and usually by the time I put 12000 miles on them its time to either replace or rotate the front two to opposite sides, which I know I shouldn't do but at least it gives me another 8 to 10000 more miles out of the tires before they need to be replaced again.

I cannot figure out what the deal is and neither can any of the mechanics. If anyone has had a similar problem and was able to remedy it, I would greatly appreciate the help.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Davey
First let me say I have had the car on 4 different alignment machines. The car has PERFECT alignment when tested but the front tires have wear problems. The left front wears on the outside and the right front wears on inside. It is not a feathered pattern, it is even wear. This has happened with several sets of tires and usually by the time I put 12000 miles on them its time to either replace or rotate the front two to opposite sides, which I know I shouldn't do but at least it gives me another 8 to 10000 more miles out of the tires before they need to be replaced again.

I cannot figure out what the deal is and neither can any of the mechanics. If anyone has had a similar problem and was able to remedy it, I would greatly appreciate the help.
maybe worthwhile to report your toe/camber/... values here.
has the car ever been involved in an accident ?
they normally check for play in tie rods, etc... do you have unusual noises/anything coming form the front ?

Last edited by bolc; Mar 17, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:47 AM

Is it the wheel hub? or Maybe a defect in the rims? just some options.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:48 PM

You probably make alot of right turns haha. Have you done any modifications to the suspension, or rather in any case does either of the sides sag lower than the other? Could be a slightly tweaked chassis if it was in a accident, but as mentioned above some toe and camber values could be helpful
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:53 AM

Your shocks might be blown out also
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:16 PM

Do you make alot of left turns. car are designed to make right turns not left. I dont remember the % but i think its around 80% of turns are right turns. If your cars alignment is good thats pretty much your problem. Think over the route you drive the most and if there are more left turns than right then try going a different way every now and then. If it is the problem there is no fix for it sorry just try and rotate your tires really often.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:33 PM

wth? This is not true at all. Please know what you are talking about, at least a tiny bit, before giving out advice.

Originally Posted by Ellimist55
Do you make alot of left turns. car are designed to make right turns not left. I dont remember the % but i think its around 80% of turns are right turns. If your cars alignment is good thats pretty much your problem. Think over the route you drive the most and if there are more left turns than right then try going a different way every now and then. If it is the problem there is no fix for it sorry just try and rotate your tires really often.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:44 PM

I do know what I'm talking about thank you very much. If you so smart what's you advice almighty know it all. I've see this happen several times. Same complant all had been to several different shops to get them aligned nobody could figure it out. After talking to the owners they all had one thing in common they all primarily only left turns on there normal commutes.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:28 AM

A handful of left turns on a daily commute don't lead to severe lopsided tire wear. Nice try though! If this was the case, the average driver (who makes left and right turns) would have severe tire wear on the outer and inner corners of both tires! You also said "Cars are designed to make right turns not lefts"...that comment speaks for itself. Your line of thinking is quite honestly mind boggling.
I stand by my earlier comment...if you don't know what you're talking about, please think twice before giving someone advice.

To the OP,
Not really sure what to tell you, like someone else earlier stated, perhaps you can post up your alignment sheet. Possibly frame or suspension damage is the only thing I could think may cause it (if camber and toe are good)

Originally Posted by Ellimist55
I do know what I'm talking about thank you very much. If you so smart what's you advice almighty know it all. I've see this happen several times. Same complant all had been to several different shops to get them aligned nobody could figure it out. After talking to the owners they all had one thing in common they all primarily only left turns on there normal commutes.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Doc Davey has made only one post, that was over a month ago. He must have found the solution to his problem.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:07 AM

I'm a master tech but what the **** do I know. What was your idea blown shocks right that would cause the front suspension to lean inward causing negative camber that would wear the inside of both tires, and wheel tramp because the shock isn't doing it's job which would be an uneven wear pattern on the tires. Any time you have worn suspension parts it will cause the suspension to cave inward. You could check your toe out on turns also know as the Ackerman angle but what do I know. Check your Sai and included angle but unless your **** is really messed up my prevouse answers most likely the cause. Unless some one can disprove me then by all means let me know. Not just say your wrong and not give any information to prove my theory wrong.

Last edited by Ellimist55; Apr 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM.