Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

ES and OZ Suspension Difference

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2002, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ES and OZ Suspension Difference

I ordered some Tein Springs, not the coil-over set, because I'm on a slim budget. Well anyway, I ordered them, right before they were going to ship it they said that their springs will not fit an ES Lancer. They said that it can only fit the OZ suspension due to fitting complications with the ES. Now I'm going with Sprints. Too bad, I really wanted Tein's, but I guess I'll have to settle for Sprints... Anyone know of Sprints' reputation? Or know the difference between the OZ and ES suspension?

--- Kei
Old Jul 15, 2002, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Been covered a lot recently...looks like people are catching on...

The main difference is the strut. The ES front struts are thinner requiring a thinner diameter spring and top strut mount. The easy way to remedy ($) is by purchasing OEM OZ/LS front struts and the mounts. RMR seems to be fully aware of this and is probably selling the mounts when they sell the struts to ES owners. The next route ($$$) is buying the entire Tein SS suspension setup (very nice by all accounts) since it replaces almost everything suspension related.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

It's possible (I'm told, still trying to verify) that the one of the Mirage struts is the same as the ES. Therefore, it is probable that the springs for the Mirages may work for the ES, meaning that there will be ALOT more suspension options for us ES owners over the LS/OZ owners for right now. Example, for the same price as the S-Techs, you could get some H&Rs that are considered by many to be the best you can buy. Let me get into a dealership and compare parts numbers, and see if it can be verified that way. I think that this is how it will end up being. It would be right silly to make a whole separate, new part for one package of one year's model of a car. I know that Jeep did it, but, that was that short period of time that they were owned by the French. I don't think Mitsu is that stupid.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

That's right...you've mentioned that before. Only problem is now, what about the rear? Is it the same as a Mirage or a new setup? Probably something else to investigate...God...it'd be a pain if it was half US Lancer and half US Mirage...
Old Jul 15, 2002, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

It is
Gotta buy 2 kits
Old Jul 15, 2002, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Jeezus H Christ Pjal... don't even say something like that... Really, though, I hope to God it's not something like that. Otherwise, how the HELL would you order something for that? I guess I just automatically assumed... Anyway, verify this for me as you can, but, isn't the reason that we have the different strut because the ES was the first of the Lancers to be made, and that somewhere between the time they were done with the ES and they started the LS and OZ they decided to go with a beefy-er strut? Because if that's the case, it's more than likely that the ES will use both front and rear struts, right? And, is there a difference between the Mirage and Lancer rear struts in the first place?
Old Jul 15, 2002, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone got the measurment of stock or aftermarket spring & shock/strut for LS/OZ? & ES? & Mirage as well? Then we might know the different....
Attached Thumbnails ES and OZ Suspension Difference-07.jpg  

Last edited by bbvc; Jul 15, 2002 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

That's what I'm trying to find out... I've got all that info on the Mirage, but, it varies by the type of car... as in, the Coupe and the Sedan have totally different struts in and of themselves. I have not as of yet been able to find the OEM numbers for the ES, and Tein said that they had those numbers for the LS/OZ. The way we can find out now is by comparing the part numbers for the struts of the ES and the Mirages, and I've tried email corespondance with my local dealerships, but, to no avail. So, I guess I'm gonna hafta drag my *** up to one later today because this is now a big *** thorn in my side, and the sooner I get it out, the happier I'll be.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yeeees....get the ES data you must, hmmm?

Save us all, Obi-Wan!

I want a new suspension, new wheels...a whole laundry list. But first...the data.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

someone who changed their springs must have stock springs laying around, can they measure the diameter of their old spring?
Old Jul 16, 2002, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Not as simple as that... the only people that have changed their springs have the LS/OZ struts. There are no other springs available for the ES... that we know of. That is what we are trying to determine. The only thing that we could do other than running down parts numbers is take apart a ES's suspension, and, really, I'm not so mechanically inclined to try that myself. I can't make it to the dealership today, but, will in the next day or so.

"Lost some time Master Obi Wan has... how embarressing."

Pjal, just going to ask you something... you mentioned something I hadn't thought of before because I hadn't thought it would be possible. Could I purchase the front OEM struts of the LS/OZ from the dealer and they would fit? Is the mount the same? How much would that run? Because if that is the case, they HAVE to be considerably cheaper than a full set from RMR, and (?)possibly(?) cheaper than having to purchase two different sets. Or do I have struts and shocks confused? Straighten me out on this... I need to know so I can ask the right questions tomorrow.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

ES: smaller front top strut mounts, smaller strut, thinner spring

To use OEM parts, you'd need the mounts and the OEM struts. The problem here are those top mounts. Swap the mounts for LS/OZ units and use either the RMR struts (they say they have the parts to fix the fitment, which I'm assuming is the top mount) and some aftermarket springs or do what I'm not seriously considering should I get another job and that is go with the Tein damper system. I wish H&R would make a Cup Kit for the Lancer, they use a rate matched spring and strut and I've seen pretty good ratings for it.

Last edited by pjal84; Jul 16, 2002 at 03:56 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by StreetLancer
Not as simple as that... the only people that have changed their springs have the LS/OZ struts. There are no other springs available for the ES... that we know of. That is what we are trying to determine.
so LS/OZ owner, what is the diameter of the stock or lowering springs you are having? I want to see how much bigger or smaller than ES, thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2002, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Sprints' reputation?

Does anyone know if Sprint makes good springs? Cause the only person I know that has them is a friend of mine that drifts a little bit, and he doesn't have any problems when he's losing traction and sliding, so I dunno, whattaya say?
(I'll prolly get the whole coil-over system from Tein in like...a few years, but for now, it's just springs..)

--- Kei
Old Jul 16, 2002, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Kei, has Sprint said their springs fit the ES?

Okay, Pjal, could the mounts and struts themselves be obtained? If so, would that be cheper than what RMR is offering? And if so, by a wide enough margin to really be worth it? I mean, because if that is the case, than, well, that would be the cheap way out, right? Just to get those mounts and struts, and then choose the springs, or, would it be cheaper to put together the cash for the eibach/ralliart package with the mounts? That is my query.

Quick Reply: ES and OZ Suspension Difference