Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Spring install question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spring install question

Sorry for the double post, but I've got a day off tomorow, so I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to install my spring.

Originally posted by engineerboy
you need to invest in an impact wrench. most auto parts stores carry electric models that run about $60. If you plan on doing your own auto repair, it's invaluable. WD40 won't do **** to help remove the top nut. Whereas using an impact wrench will spin that bastard right off. be sure to POINT THE STRUT AWAY FROM YOU when you're taking the top nut off. Spring compressors, to hold the spring in place, aren't a bad idea, either.
Is it doable with just a regular ratchet and no spring compressor, or is it just too plain dangerous. Or will I be able to remove but not to put back on?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you NEED a spring compressor. and you can do it with just a ratchet, but its a PAIN IN THE ***. with the impact gun, you could get it done in a half hour. if you dont get a gun, you could always use a breaker bar.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

IMO you don't need a spring compressor. You do however need a inpact wrench//gun. pneumatics is the best. I had a ***** of a time trying to get the top bolt off the strut using a normal wrench. The middle of the strut spins around and there's no good way to hold it still. Pull out the impact wrench and its off lickety split.

dig
Old Mar 1, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I used my teeth to compress the springs, screw a spring compressor, enamel is for ralley winners!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

that chompers guy from the old bond flick comes to mind...
Old Mar 1, 2004, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

For taking them out compressors are highly recomended, especially for the inexperienced. If it is impossible for you to get some point the strut mount away from you and push down real hard while loosening the nut on top. If you don't have an impact gun you gotta have spring compressors or you will get hurt. Putting my Eibachs in (1.2-1.5" drop) I did have to push a little to get the strut nut to catch, but no comp was necesary. For my friends Ground Controls they were loose untill the weight of the car was on them. One thing to be careful of is the driver side axle, the inner CV joint seperates easy. I have had a ziptie holding on my cv boot for over a year now (not good, but works)
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:31 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

You need either a spring compressor or an impact gun. Nothing else will do (not a ratchet, not teeth, MAYBE a power drill with a socket adaptor). Although you could use vise grips and turn the nut by hand, you need approximately 50 or so revolutions on a nut that has pressure on it.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 05:43 PM

i was told that the 97-00 has the same shocks as the es is that true
Old Apr 14, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

you dont need a spring compressor for the rear springs
Old Apr 14, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

oh yea if ur using eibach's make sure the compressed end of the spring in on the botton! the first time i did it, i put em in upside down (the front springs) cause i really couldnt tell.

I dont understand why the eibach logo is upside down? I would think the company would put their logo so you could read it but w/e.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

I just baught my-self this Impact Wrench . So I guess, all I need now is a spring compressor
Old Apr 21, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

awesome - my uncle has one who lives like almost across the street from me, so i just always use his, with like a 40 gallon tank lol.

Let us know how the install goes too please, im thinknig about doing this sometime soon and i dont wanna pay 350$ for the install
Old Apr 21, 2004, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

for the fact that you can BUY a spring compressor for 40 bucks or rent one for free at autozone or for 17 bucks from other places... and it's much faster and much safer... that's the way to go... you need the impact wrench because the strut spins otherwise and you need the "hammering" action to get it loose easily.. that or the "special" tool.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:45 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

You don't NEED a spring compressor now that you have a decent impact wrench. I have installed 3 sets of springs now without a spring compressor. But as said above, if you want to use one just to be safe, they're not very expensive.

Just curious, are you using my thread in the how-to forums to install them?
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by urbanknight
Just curious, are you using my thread in the how-to forums to install them?
I will be using your thread in conjunction with an article I saw on the main page.

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...rmcorner&id=18

Quick Reply: Spring install question