Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

lowering springs raised the rears?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowering springs raised the rears?

Hey, Ive looked for awhile now and cant figure it out. I just replaced my struts and put lowering springs in. Now the front sits lower, higher than what it was(rubbing when turning) when the blown struts were in. The rears had a set of buddyclub coilovers that were basically blown, So I switched those out with new struts and the springs. Well, the rear has about a 4inch gap from fender to tire, as the front has maybe 1/2-3/4 in gap between the two.

Now, Ive replaced shocks and struts before on the few dsms ive owned over the years, but this is just annoying me now. I know they are supposed to settle in and all that, but with the springs supposedly doing an inch drop, it raised the back., Considering the buddy clubs used the stock mount, there was a couple rubber fittings i reused which might be causing the extra height? or should i loosen all the strut bolts and lower the car on the jack and get it settled?

Im about to go back out and pull out a strut to see if i put it together wrong. Its been like this for 2 days, it rides fine, WAY better than the coilovers but the stance is now raked.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:38 PM

Here's what it looks like.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
what springs are you using?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That doesn't look right at all. Are you using the correct parts? Are they meant for that vehicle? I would double check that.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yikes. What springs?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:30 PM

Honestly I'm not sure what kind. I got them off eBay back in October and the guy said he got them for his oz. Before I found out mine was an es. He said it was an inch drop, never installed them cause he sold his car before he could put them on.

This is the strut/spring compared to the adjustable shocks. Minus having the top mount on, which i just pushed a little bit down on the spring to put on.

I'm just kinda confused.

Old Apr 27, 2015, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure but those springs on the left don't look like they belong on the Lancer (I could be wrong). Are those B&G springs.....? Hmm. I'm also confused about what's on the car now. I thought it was the springs and shocks on the left? What's on the right? The Buddy Club coilovers?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:31 AM

Yea, the one on the left is what's in there now, the right is what was on there. Buddyclubs. Had to compress the spring a little to loosen the perch. And the stock mount is on the buddyclub in the picture, that's what I took off to put onto the new ones.

I'm not sure of the brand still, it does have a part number I looked for but can't find the exact parts. I'll have to look again. It puzzled my brother as well and he used to be a tire tech. I'm gonna tare out the passenger side again and redo the redo on it since I did it its now about 3/4 in higher, but could be the fact the battery is on the driver side in the trunk.

12hr work days kinda limit my car time. Thanks for the replys so far guys.
Old May 3, 2015, 01:11 PM

OK, so a little update. The part number is LS-ML02-R. The only spring with that number that I can find without searching too much are Megan racing springs... 1.5 in drop. Well, the front did what its supposed to but the rear... Not so much.

Time to cool off before going back out to the garage.
Old May 7, 2015, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Model Number : MR-LS-ML02 For the lowering springs. If that's what you have then it should work perfectly, unless you have the incorrect struts installed? No idea man, this is strange.
Old May 8, 2015, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"The rears had a set of buddyclub coilovers that were basically blown"

So the car was riding lower than it normally would even with coil overs, correct ?
Lowering springs lower with respect to stock height, is the car now sitting higher than stock ?
Old May 8, 2015, 09:41 PM

Yeah the buddyclubs were lower then stock, it was about half inch from the tire to fender, even less to the rear bumper..

But I've driven it a week now, seems to be a little lower, still not lower than stock. Its about 4 inches from tire to fender, with 205/50/17s.. I'll give it another week or so before I order up different ones. The front is definitely lower. About a half inch if that from tire to fender, rubs on tight turns but tolerable.

Still, mind boggling. I did my "hand" measurement on my exes 05 eclipse, and she has a little less gap then I do on the rears. So, maybe this is stock height on mine for the rears? Either way.. Thanks for the help fellas .
Old May 9, 2015, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Purchased from a private party, and that guy originally bought them off EBay. I think I found the problem. I would order springs from a vendor off this forum. Nothing from EBay should ever go on your car. Could be a knock off with poor to zero quality control.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roach85
Purchased from a private party, and that guy originally bought them off EBay. I think I found the problem. I would order springs from a vendor off this forum. Nothing from EBay should ever go on your car. Could be a knock off with poor to zero quality control.
That could be a possibility.

Has this issue been sorted out?