Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Upgrading oz brakes, possible rear disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading oz brakes, possible rear disc conversion

While replacing my clutch I noticed one of my front calipers was dragging and the other showed signs of leaking, this brought a few options to the table.
1) rebuild or replace existing calipers and rotors
2) upgrade to twin piston 2g gsx calipers
3) upgrade entire break system

At the very least I'd like to go with option 2 (there's a gsx at the local salvage that I believe still has the front calipers) as I understand this is plug and play as long as I can find the correct rotors.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 92 galant vr4 rotors should work while retaining my 4x114 bolt pattern.

Now for my real question, in order to once again retain my bolt pattern for the rear and convert to disk brakes I had planned on the following parts:

Rear oz disk kit from 89mirageman
Rear rotors from a 92 galant vr4
Rear calipers from a 1g fwd dsm (would the awd calipers work as well?)
Evo master cylinder ( not sure what year I'm assuming an evo 8?)
1g dsm non abs proportioning valve
Stock lancer front brake lines

Would this be all I need? New brake lines or anything?
I had planned on a rear conversion later but figured since the engine bay is empty I can plumb all the lines to the Mc easier, plus the car isn't my current dd so time due to labor isn't a factor.

Last edited by Foxman92; Aug 16, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also a secondary question
Would I be able to upgrade to the evo Mc and dsm proportioning along with my front upgrade and focus on the rears later? Or will the proportioning valve and Mc put too much strain on the rear drums?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just rebuild your calipers or get some used ones if its a daily driver and put the rest of your funds toward your project car (tsi). The eclipse has much more potential. Just my .02 cents.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you could get a rear disc upgrade from an ES, LS? Maybe there are part outs? You could get the whole assembly as it is and just get the e-brake cables. I'm assuming they are still in the 4x114.3 bolt pattern. (I'm from the Philippines) Possibly replace the other parts just so to retain the OEM spec? I'm not really keen on converting the calipers themselves. Although, I knew a friend of mine who converted his front brakes using EVO1-3 calipers and rotors. (Since they are also 4x114.3 pattern)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The stock Lancer front brake lines should work, I did the upgrade but used stainless steel front brake lines on the dual piston calipers and 02 Mini Cooper S Rotors all around - I have an ES. Also, You can use any 90-94 fwd dsm rear caliper. 89mirageman was very helpful getting the parts together for me. Try heading over to mirageforums.net and message him.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey man you can use eom parts for a direct bolt on conversion! I wrote a thread on that in the past so i bumped the thread. Here's the link to the OZ rear disc conversion: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...onversion.html
Let me know how it goes i have been running this setup on the track for the past 2 years with no problems