Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Clunking noise after swapping rims/tires

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking noise after swapping rims/tires

Hey guys so I need some advice as to what could be causing my problem since I can't get to a shop until monday. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's my problem, I swapped out my 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer's 16" stock rims (205/60/R16 tire size) with my friend's 2006 Honda Civic SI 17" stock rims that I had a shop mount new tires on (215/50/R17) since the tires originally were too wide and would have some rubbing going on. Now whenever I drive I am getting a clunking noise that sounds like its coming from all tires (seems louder in the back tires). The clunking is constant and gets louder whenever I drive over any kind of little bumps. However, whenever I apply pressure to my brake the clunking instantly stops.

I researched online a bit and thought I had found the answer to my problems... wheel spacers. Since my lancer's hub center bore is 67.1 and the civic is 64.1 I figured I would just need 3mm wheel spacers. I bought them, installed them and it didn't fix a damn thing. I also made sure that the bolt pattern for both were the same (5x114.3).

So now I am stumped as to what possibly could be the problem. Thanks in advanced for anyone that can help me, and if you need more information / have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
How did you even get the wheels to sit if the wheel's opening is smaller than the car's hub? The spacer doesnt mean too much considering you need hubcentric adapters instead of just the spacer.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:43 AM

Okay so basically my wheel bores have just been bouncing up and down and knocking off the hub while driving?

So all I need is 67.1 - 64.1 hub centric rings
like these like these
and that should fix the problem?

Last edited by JMusto0223; Sep 4, 2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah, we have hubcentric wheels, but if the lug nuts are tight, it should NOT clunk, but you would have some wobble, if they were slightly eccentric...
Old Sep 8, 2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
yeah, we have hubcentric wheels, but if the lug nuts are tight, it should NOT clunk, but you would have some wobble, if they were slightly eccentric...
Hmmm well the only thing I did was swapped out the rims and tires and there was immediate clunking. I made sure the lug nuts were tight, but I was wondering if it could be possible that the lug nuts are the wrong size and even though it seems I am tightening them all the way, it still isn't securing the rim all the way to the hub?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

depends on the wheels and type of nuts...lug centric wheels require acorn nuts to center the wheel on the wheel studs...hub centric wheels sometimes use flange nuts, and the flange nuts fit loosely in the lug holes, but when torqued won't wobble because the center bore normally matches the hub...if you use flange nuts with incorrect center bore, they may clunk around.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hondas use a ball seat....... not the regular conical seat....... your wheels are loose and dangerous at this point
Old Sep 8, 2015, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I would just say... probably shouldn't run those wheels on your car lol
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

if you used acorn lugs and tightened them properly, it should be fine as long as the wheel is mated flat with the hub, but they might vibrate at higher speeds...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

He was saying that the honda wheels bores were smaller than the hub on the lancer. Can't imagine that they would mate together. Like trying to stick a 12mm bolt in a 10mm socket.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
He was saying that the honda wheels bores were smaller than the hub on the lancer. Can't imagine that they would mate together. Like trying to stick a 12mm bolt in a 10mm socket.

this whole time, I was thinking it was the other way around...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
this whole time, I was thinking it was the other way around...
D'oh I got it backwards too! I was thinking the same thing ... that the honda's wheel bore was too big for my car's hub.

So there is no way to put these honda wheels on to my lancer I presume?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

no, don't put that **** on there...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Aftermarket wheels usually have a universal size bore and thats where the hubcentric rings come in. If its car company specific then their bores are specific to their car which is where you run into problems in making sure the bore sizes will work.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:49 AM

I called a few car repair shops that focus on tires/wheels and they said I could just bring the rims to a machine shop to have them bore out the honda civic wheels so they are the same 67.1 mm size of the lancer's hub.

This seems like the simplest solution seeing as how I have already bought brand new tires and mounted them onto the civic rims. I'll be the first to admit I don't know jack **** about cars but it seems like this "bore out" of the wheels to fit my lancer's hub precisely should solve all of my problems. Especially since after matching the hub and bore sizes everything else would match as well (the bolt pattern and stud sizes are the same).... or am I completely wrong in assuming all of my problems will be solved?

If you go to this wheel cross reference site you can see that the 2006 honda civic SI and the