Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Blown shocks?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2004, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown shocks?

Hey, I am trying to help out a lancer owning buddy of mine and require your help, experience, and comments.

We are going to install lowering springs on his Lancer ES but am wondering how long do you figure he will be able to run on the stk shocks before they all blow?

I know lots of people running protege 5's like this with no problem at all but when I had my acura all my shocks blew very quickly.

If any of you out there have lowered with the the stk shocks before can you please let me know what the ride is like? I will provide everyone who replies with free .....ok you know I can't really do that but I wish I could
Old Apr 1, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Life span is about the same. It also depends on which springs you install. The Eibach Pro Kit gives a good drop and doesnt stress the shocks too much.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

lowering springs wont kill ya shocks as logn as it dont go past 1.7 - 1.8 im guessin...and i doubt any company makes springs to drop more than that...unless your cutting them yourself heheh
Old Apr 1, 2004, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

lost my struts a good 6-7 months after install of eibach springs. it's not super bouncy, but you get used to it. when you go over speed bumps, there's a lot of suspension travel. but at least the ride isn't like those ricers who cut their springs(do people even do that anymore?). you definately feel when they're gone if you frequent turns that require good suspension at speed. there was this strip of road that my car could take like a champ and now i have to take it easy or else i would understeer off the road.

installing progress springs might aggravate the aging as it's a lower drop than eibachs.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 09:19 AM

Tokico makes Shocks and struts for the ES. So don't worry. You should probably do the shocks, struts, springs, and camber adjustment bolts at the same time and get the car aligned. Best of luck to yall.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 09:26 AM

Yeah thanks for the post's fellas. My friend is running on a limited supply of funds so we are forced to perform a ghetto drop for now.

My suspension is being installed today, Tien springs with Tokico HP's. Mine is a P5 incase you didn't notice.

Thanks for the imput, keep the comments coming!!!
Old Apr 1, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I have stock front struts for sale if he needs them... Im also dropped on progress springs and I really like the ride/look
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:48 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have rear shocks for sale, ^ and I should hook up and sell them as a set

but from what I've seen on these forums, some people didn't make it 3 months without losing their shocks. Plenty others re going on 2 years now and are just fine.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 03:27 PM

I have an 03 OZ and i put Eibach Pro's on it and they killed the struts and shocks as soon as I pulled it out of the shop. I think the shocks and struts that are put on our cars are inferior. So now I have to find a company that sells them for our cars and get new ones all the way around.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

That why I'm saving to just get full coilovers to avoid this whole mess, keep the smooth ride, but gain the dropped look.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

How much do a good set of shocks cost for the ES? Anyone have a price?

-=RoscoES=-