Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Competition Tires

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2004, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Competition Tires

OK, I was browsing around on tirerack and noticed that the competition tires [Yoko/Advan A032R] came with a small description under the tire sizes...just wondering what do they mean? i know one of them but the other i can't figure out...also figured it would help out for the people who are looking to get Comp. Tires for autocross and what not.

1. Heat Cycled
2. Shaved 4/32nds

Heat cycled if I remember correctly is a treatment when you spin the tires around at a high speed to create heat on the tire properly bonding the compound of the tire? and once the tire reaches a certain temperature it is slowly cooled. by doing this process it allows your tires to have a longer life expectancy. [Thats what I remember from someone who told me this awhile back]

and Shaved 4/32nds I have no clue about. anyone care to shed a light upon this one?

Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 05:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Competition Tires

4/32 Tire Shaving:
Tire shaving is an effective means of permitting more of a tire's performance capability to be realized early in its life. Tire shaving removes tread rubber and reduces tire weight by several pounds. A shaved tire's tread profile will usually result in a slight increase in the width of the tire's contact patch putting a little more rubber on the road. The resulting shallower tread depths reduce the tire's slip angle, increases its responsiveness and help stabilize its cornering power by minimizing tread block squirm. Minimizing tread block squirm also reduces heat buildup and the risk of making the tire go "off" by overheating its tread compound. And in many cases, shaved tires used in competition actually have a longer useful life than tires that begin being run at full tread depth.

So with all of these benefits, the next important question is: "How far should a tire be shaved?"

Hoosier R3S03, A3S03, R3S04 and A3S04 radials are manufactured with 4/32 to 4.5/32" of molded tread depth and do not require tire shaving.

Most other DOT-legal Competition tires begin with about 6/32" of molded tread depth. While some tires do not require shaving for dry autocross use, all of them will benefit from shaving to about 4/32" tread depths for driver's schools, track days and competitive track use in dry conditions.

Heat Cycling:
The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities. Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to loosing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.

Brought to you buy the Tire Rack Tech Center
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

nice! great explanation thank you
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

NP
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:11 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about getting my next set of autocross tires shaved, since my last set wore the outsides before the inner tread was gone, and the inner tread had plenty left after the tires had been cycled from many races. I hate to ask Neal a question about a tire that Tire Rack doesn't carry, but do any of the Tire Rack installation centers in the San Fernando Valley perform this service?

If it's any consolation, I'm considering buying my next set of street tires through you, but I don't plan on getting those shaved
Old Apr 9, 2004, 06:02 AM
Former Sponsor

No worries, its ok asking I personally don't know if there are any shops that do this service. There are a few performance/speed shops that do, but the average place prob wont even know what your talking about hehe. Its prob best to check our installer list and see who's near you, then call and ask. The list can be found here: Tire Rack Installers (hopefully that link works better than my last batch)

The Tire Rack and I appreciate the business. Just let me know and I will send them out as soon as I can
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Is it common to heat cycle between uses or only when new?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Heat cycling is done when the tire is new.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:26 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

How about shaving? I got my racing tires 2 days before a race and the local shop didn't do shaving. Would it be practical to have them shaved down 4/32 even after I've put about 500 miles on them?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 06:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Although you can shave a driven tire, we wont because of the road grit embedded in the tires tread. This is very hard on the cutting head which dulls it very quickly.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 05:39 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Makes sense, I might just wait for my next set of tires then. I don't think these ones will last very long unless I get those camber plates and learn how to do alignments very soon