Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

brake swap information needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2004 | 08:18 PM

brake swap information needed

is there any way to swap out the LS brake to the ES? I know the ES has drum on the rear and the LS has disc on the rear. Are the fronts bigger too?
Old Apr 14, 2004 | 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

I second this idea...

If it is at all possible I would be interested

-=RoscoES=-
Old Apr 14, 2004 | 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

There've been a few discussions over the removal of the rear drum to replace with a disk brake. The moral of almost all of them is that the rear drum works as well, or maybe better, than the rear disk would.

Basically, it would be cost inefficient to go through the process. I would replace the drum if it wore out, which is doubtful with a 2002.

You migh tbe able to find it under a "rear brake swap" search, or something of that order.

Edit: Are you wanting to switch the rear disks from the stock LS to a Stock ES? I don't think the rim size will allow, but I'm not sure of the brake size on the LS.
Old Apr 14, 2004 | 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

i didn't know that the LS came with rear discs though... makes it seem like the conversion would be more possible than i had previously imagine.
Old Apr 14, 2004 | 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

it might actually be dangerous to do the swap...with more stopping power in the rear and the absence of weight the rear would be more likely to lock up during hard braking, causing you to spin with the slightest turn of the wheel and at the least losing you stopping distance. although stock LS disks would be interesting because they were designed with the weight distribution in mind...hence the reason rear disks on almost all cars are always smaller...keep up the research but i know there's a thread on this already...look it up
Old Apr 15, 2004 | 10:39 AM

Originally posted by LancerDriven
it might actually be dangerous to do the swap...with more stopping power in the rear and the absence of weight the rear would be more likely to lock up during hard braking, causing you to spin with the slightest turn of the wheel and at the least losing you stopping distance. although stock LS disks would be interesting because they were designed with the weight distribution in mind...hence the reason rear disks on almost all cars are always smaller
with more power comes more stopping power you need
Old Apr 16, 2004 | 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

why LS's come with rear discs and OZ's come with drums??
BULL!@#$
Old Apr 16, 2004 | 06:34 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by RacinMylancer
i didn't know that the LS came with rear discs though
I second that. Last time I checked, the LS had rear drums, but it has ABS unlike the OZ and ES models. Karlen???
Old Apr 18, 2004 | 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

I thought the OZ, too, had ABS? And that the only lancer without abs was the ES.
Old Apr 18, 2004 | 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

nope...oz=no abs, no rear disk
Old Apr 18, 2004 | 11:10 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Just to clarify, I recall hearing something about ABS being an option on Canadian OZs, but the US versions did not come with ABS. And I'm happy for that, as cheap cars with ABS tend to be terrible in autocross. Hard to induce oversteer, systems shut down when you lose traction, etc.
Old Apr 18, 2004 | 11:59 PM
EvoM Guru

the LS in either country from 02-03 did not come with rear discs. the LS is also the only one with ABS(now the ralliart has it too). if you just want to add ABS to an OZ, the least you would need are the wheel speed sensors, abs rotors, abs ecu, and EBD proportioning valve as it would replace our regular hydraulic proportion valve.

as far as rear disc swap, you'd need the full brake system from the ralliart and redrill the rotors to 4x114 or 4x100 depending on which model you got. that seems to be the only way at this point.
Old Apr 19, 2004 | 07:02 AM

Originally posted by rhyzin
as far as rear disc swap, you'd need the full brake system from the ralliart and redrill the rotors to 4x114 or 4x100 depending on which model you got. that seems to be the only way at this point.
ya I must have read some incorrect information somewhere, only the Ralliart came with rear disc brakes. Still would be cool to have them