Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Another lowering springs Q

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004 | 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Another lowering springs Q

Quick newb question cause i dnt know much bout shocks or suspension. im getting those dropzone lowering springs for my es, now my question is: Will they kill my stock shocks and also will they cause positive camber or whatever i was reading on RRM, they'll lower the car bout 1.7". Any help would be most appreciative.
Old Aug 7, 2004 | 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

anyone????
Old Aug 7, 2004 | 02:46 PM

Depends on whether or not it really will drop it to 1.7, I've heard dropzone goes lower. Anything below 1.7, you would want a camber kit. You will have negative camber wear on the inside of your tires because of the weight distribution but if it drops it to 2 inches or lower it will be much worse without a camber kit, the inside of the tire will wear away much faster. Myself, I'm puttin progress springs on mine without a camber kit, I know it will wear some, but not so much that I absolutely NEED a camber kit. I have thought to invest in one just so I don't end up investing so much into tires, but I don't have the funds for it right now. It will come in the future
Old Aug 7, 2004 | 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

what bout my shocks, will it kill them? do i need anything else to help my stock shocks? i just dont want them to go cause i dont have the money for new ones right now...
Old Aug 9, 2004 | 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

well i just got my springs 2day, i want 2 put them on so bad but i wanna wait for some input by u guys!! So i know ill need a camber kit to correct the camber, will i need to instal that before i put on the springs or after? is there anything i can do before, or after i install them to keep the springs from killing my shocks, do i need anything else with them? I mean, will the car be ok with just the springs? can a suspension pimp help me out here? thanks!!

Its sounds like, ive been reading a good way to go is springs/shocks combo, so with my dropzone springs what r my options with the shocks? and if i do this, will my struts suffer? or will i be ok...

hehe, sorry

Last edited by Nm0ney34; Aug 9, 2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2004 | 12:33 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Don't drive hard over bumps and your shocks will last longer. You really don't need a camber kit, as you will only get slight negative camber (good for cornering anyway), but with a camber kit, you can adjust your handling if you choose.
Old Aug 10, 2004 | 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

I've had my car lowered almost 3 inches for a summer and although I wore out my tires due to negative camber, my stock shocks are still fine.
Old Aug 24, 2004 | 08:23 AM

I think your shocks will be fine, just don't go rallying on a bumpy road anytime in the near future. as for the guy with the 3 inch drop and stock shocks, you are nuts, good luck with that one. You may have lasted through the summer but guaranteed they will blowout. I'm sorry to be so insulting but you're an idiot. (You're gunna end up spending more in the long run cuz you'll have to replace em and anything else you damage when you blow em)
Old Sep 4, 2004 | 01:09 PM

Yeah I think a camber kit is a very good idea for this one. Unless you can afford tires every three months.
Old Sep 6, 2004 | 09:17 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally Posted by ToFast4U
Yeah I think a camber kit is a very good idea for this one. Unless you can afford tires every three months.
Actually, we measured the camber I got after lowering my car a full 2" and came up with -1 in the rear and -0.5 in the front. Although not a racing setup, it won't do any harm to your tires under normal driving, and will even improve your tire wear if you tend to take corners a little faster than the average Joe. My stock tires seem to be lasting longer than anyone else's (going on 30k and finally starting to show signs of wear) with -.75 rear and -1.75 front.