Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

NTB scratched my Rims

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NTB scratched my Rims

Ok, I bought new Falken ZE-512s and I had NTB install everything for 99 bucks with balancing and everything. But they scratched up my rims! They say it is normal to have it scratched and you can't really avoid it even if you do alignment. Well I went back and talked to the manager and they refunded me the installation so basically I got it for free. However, I my wheels are still scratched up. Oh well, I got 205-45-Z17 so I think that's normal diameter replacement.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

You gotta know the folks that are doing the tire changing. A good tirechanger like the Snap-on one that they use at my favorite place has nylon bushings that stop the metal to metal contact. These things wear out and hardly anyone replaces them and then you get the scratching on the lip.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

is it a machined finish lip or all silver? if it's machined you may be able to use some fine sandpaper and polish and make it at least tolerable again. that sucks though. good luck.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem as you...they scratched n refunded part of it..eh. but im sandin down the clear coat soon in winter n paintin them again. so no worries to me. but i know how it feels when things like that get f****d up.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

yeh they scratched mine pretty bad but they didnt refund me b/c i bought my rims from a friend but the rims were never used or opened.... real pros would flip the rim over and hide the scratches.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

I was so excited when I got my new tires so maybe I just have NTB work on it the same day I got the tires. I didn't realize some people don't give a **** about other people's car so they just do their just like it's nothing. I actually know of somebody to put the tires, I should have just waited... Anyway, I'm having a bit of a problem. My steering wheel vibrates past 65mph. You think I would have to re-do my balancing or is this an alignment issue?
Old Sep 6, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

I've had the vibration-past-65mpg ever since I put on a set of 17's.. I swear to god, I got
them re-balanced every time (about 4 times), and figured out that the machine they use at the shop just sucks ***.

Brought it into Kal Tire for balancing, and now the cars perfect.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by initialDRacer
You think I would have to re-do my balancing or is this an alignment issue?
Have them recheck the balance.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

I change tires for a living, that line is complete and utter BS. I have a machine that is 100% touchless, only a total jacka$$ would be able to mess it up. I've mounted 13"-26" rubber on painted, chromed, polished wheels and never had one incident (knock on wood)
Old Sep 6, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by feldguy
I change tires for a living, that line is complete and utter BS. I have a machine that is 100% touchless, only a total jacka$$ would be able to mess it up. I've mounted 13"-26" rubber on painted, chromed, polished wheels and never had one incident (knock on wood)
I'll say... why would you buy $2000 set of wheels if you just going to risk them getting scratched? I'll never have NTB do my tire change/alignment again. We need certified tire changers just like feldguy.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

See, I'd offer to tell everyone about my place of business, but the long and short of it is the exclusivity. I work at Costco, and even though Im a pro, you gotta have a membership. I run my tire shop, but even I can't change the rules....so if anyone ever needs G-Forces or PS2's, I can PM about them...but you gotta have the card...you know?