Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

how strong are SSR rims?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2004 | 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

how strong are SSR rims?

hey guys, i'm looking for a set of rims and the only ones i like are the SSR GT1 rims 17x7.5", the rims i have now bent the **** up so i'm not paying to replace 2 rims which will probably get bent again, but i hear SSR is a great company, i'm just afraid that a 17.5lb rim will bend easily.. what are your thoughts?
Old Sep 5, 2004 | 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

I had those same rims in the 18" version. They are forged rims, meaning about three times as strong as cast, yet lighter. They will not bend, they will crack. But in order to crack them, you seriously have to hit a curb or something like it at a considerable amount of speed to do so.
Old Sep 7, 2004 | 05:30 AM
Former Sponsor

SSR uses Semi Solid Forging construction which makes them very light and very strong. They are some of the strongest wheels we carry. Many people use their brand for racing and even through all the abuse they still hold very well. You would really have to wack that wheel during normal street use to hurt it. They do make the GT-1 for the Lancer depending on what version you have.
Old Sep 7, 2004 | 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

thanks neal, but its not for a lancer, its for an acura cl
Old Sep 7, 2004 | 06:57 AM
Former Sponsor

ahh i see. No problem
Old Jun 6, 2005 | 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

so forged rims will crack and not bend?
I currently have 17" rims I got off ebay. They are nice looking but not very strong from what I see.

On two seperate occasions I have rocked into potholes on rt 80 and 287 (if your from jersey you know how bad our highways get) Both rims have small bends in them from hitting the potholes going about 70 mph. They still hold air because the bend is just on the outer lip. It just looks like crap.

I'm looking to get new rims and I'd like to get the strongest ones, but I almost like that the rims bend because I can still drive them. If I get the stronger ones would they just crack under the above conditions? If I hit a big pothole going about 70-80mph would they crack or would they probably be ok?

Any suggestions on rims for an ES guy. Any help is appreciated.
Old Jun 6, 2005 | 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard rotas are very strong, a lot of subaru guys stand behind them. Volk is another option, but unless you wanna spend like 500$ per rim, they're not really practical.
Old Jun 6, 2005 | 05:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Rotas are decent for what they cost, but I don't think they're particularly strong when compared to any other name brand wheel. There are tons of strong and light wheels out there. Figure out a price range, a style, and work from there.

timdog, you should see my ADR's. Every one has multiple bends, all 4 still hold air. I also bent a Konig Rated R on 80 when I hit a pothole the surface area of a small sofa (and 4"=6" deep from the way it looked at 65mph). One small bend in the lip, no problems otherwise. If I remember correctly I got a flat tire out of that experience too though.

EDIT: Oh, and $500 a wheel = about what I've paid for the 2 sets of aftermarket wheels I've owned now. I would have been better off buying top-shelf wheels to begin with.
Old Jun 6, 2005 | 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

i like rota's as well and very good quality imo
Old Jun 7, 2005 | 05:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timdog4life
so forged rims will crack and not bend?
It can go either way. I've seen forged wheels that have cracked and ones that have bent. It all depends on the angle of attack, speed, and size of tire you have. Even then its not certain what might happen.
Old Jun 8, 2005 | 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

but as a general rule of thumb the forged ones will take much more abuse than the cast ones?
Old Jun 8, 2005 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Sure?