Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Phantom Grip v RRM

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2002, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is PHANTOM GRIP!

ROAD/RACE
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Attached Thumbnails Phantom Grip v RRM-phantom.jpg  
Old Dec 2, 2002, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hopefully people can now see the reason for the price difference HAHAHA
Old Dec 2, 2002, 09:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Z.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 3, 2002, 07:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Where did Liquid's post go?

ROAD/RACE

Old Dec 3, 2002, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm wonder which one looks more for the money, you know Rock probably does show favorites but he also provides us all with vcaluable info iam sure that if the phantom solution was so great he would tell us so. granted he his also a buisness man but he's also a member. so if you dont wanna believe get the phantom try it out and if your spiders break you know he was right
Old Dec 3, 2002, 08:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think that's exactly the info Jonathan was looking for. I know it's what I wanted to hear. I think I'm going to have to have a talk with the people at BMTrany. Bound Brook's only about 45-60 minutes from here.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BlkLancer
iam sure that if the phantom solution was so great he would tell us so. granted he his also a buisness man but he's also a member. so if you dont wanna believe get the phantom try it out and if your spiders break you know he was right

Are you saying I'm a dealer? That's crazy!

The MODs here know I don't sell anything, besides passing a word. All the local lancer guys know me. They can verify that I don't own a performance shop at all. If I did, I'll be a poor man since I don't have the personality or tolerance towards certain behavior around me.

Only my brother has a shop. He's a welder for minitrucks, and it's his bread and butter. All the cars guys don't want their cars hacked up and welded like minitrucks.

Besides, there is Qualife (sp) . . . I do believe the 5g cyborgs w/ MIVEC uses some design of it. 50% of cyborgs have them.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 08:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Bahamut has to be easily one of our most informed regular members, if not the most informed regular member who posts regularly. ...I'm overusing the word "regular", but I'm all hopped up on Dayquil and I think you all know what I mean.

He's helpful and objective to the point where he allows you to make your own decisions. His curiousity and willingness to help out has taught me a buttload. I'm assuming others as well. We should steal more informed members like him from the Mirage forums.

Baha, do you know if DiaM still checks these forums? I want to talk to him about that LSD.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

no i wasnt saying that nor did i say that i was just saying that everyone qu. rock on the price of thier lsd and that if phantom was a good product i'am sure that rock would tell us. even if you where a dealer i wouldnt care i 'am just pointing out that Rock made a good argument for both with a clear explaination of the two.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Rob, yes, I was looking for you to work harder with your answer, because I don't feel that your first post was an answer to the question at hand. It seemed more like smack-talk against the Phantom Grip without much in the way of comparison/explanation.

The second set of posts, however, are a different story. That is exactly the information that I was looking for, and yes, the RRM one appears to be a far better one in that it is a complete package. The second post (aside from the "you guys want me to work harder comment) was exactly like the kind of professionalism, and knowledge that I have come to expect from RRM, and it's represenative.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor

I get loopy sometimes too. Honestly, I guess I was emphasizing more the fact that you shouldn't waste your money on that. As for hyping up ours... Not many of you guys will buy it. It is mostly a hardcore kind of mod. Serious guys that go to the strip will buy it anyway. Point being, not trying to sell our LSD in the first post, just making sure you don't waste oyur hard earned money on phantom thingy. If you are going to go through the trouble of pulling trans and dismantling it make sure it is for something of proven design.

ROAD/RACE

Old Dec 4, 2002, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Noted and appreciated.

It's just that there are certain other members that have a tendancy to blatantly slam anything that isn't RRM whether they have pertinant information on it or not, and slam for the fact that RRM doesn't sell/manufacturer. From what I've seen in the past, you're usually above hyping the products, or believing the hype made of them.

Personally, if I had the cash, I think that RRM's LSD would be on my list higher than the turbo kit, because, I'm from the school that says "what good is power if you can't put it on the road?" I think that the LSD is an all around way to improve performance in your ride, in that it goes beyond strip, but also functions well for road course and auto-x (my overall goal).

Thanks for the info.

Another question, and this one is less pointed, and that is how does the RRM LSD compare weight wise to the OEM differential? Reason I ask is that although the LSD would more than make up for the weight issue, weight on the front end is weight on the front end, and I was simply curious.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

yo street i hope that wasnt a poke at me and if it was oh well. I'am not an RRM junckie matter of fact i agree to what you had just said about power and it's usless unless you put it to the wheels.i will say that most my parts are RRM, But not all i just thought Rock explained it just fine granted he did leave out some things but knowone agreed until the pics where shown. i kow you see newbie next ta my name but i too looked into the pg to find out what was cause i was close to getting one i figured yeah cheap power until the realization real fake power in a sense.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 01:29 PM

I thought I had concocted a semi-long winded response on this topic but I guess I had trouble hitting the send button (it should of been on page one right under bahamut's post and above rock's) oh well...

Anyway, the BMtranny unit I have is virtually identical to the Phantom Grip unit. Yes the design will cause undo wear on the differential components but I have yet to hear of any mirage (I can't say lancer cause I don't pay enough attention to this forum) having a problem with spider gears. I have heard of 3300lb AWD 300+hp eclipses and more powerful/heavier 3000GTs having spider gears becoming damaged...but there are very few people with the resources to produce that kind of power from the little 4G9X series engines. If you have that type of money then you could probably afford to get a "real" LSD anyways.

Now for those looking into the Phantom grip or BMtranny units. You have to ask yourself if you will be doing the labor yourself (if not get the more expensive "real" LSDs) otherwise you won't save too much money as labor on a tranny tear down is probably around $500 or so. Now what have I noticed? Well I can leave two sets of tracks instead of one, I don't get understeer so bad going through a turn that I fly right off the course, I get to drive in STX class (not fun if you don't have all the other suspension already...you'll be in the bottom of your class), I can lay down the power through a turn now, I'm able to "shoot" into a main road from an intersection without sitting in place (still spin the tires but I get in much quicker).

Is there a lot of pressure on the diff case area of the tranny? Sure! Was there before hand? Yup I had stress fractures all across my tranny around the diff casing BEFORE I put the LSD conversion in.

If you have the cash and want a good LSD get a MECHANICAL unit! Clutch type units have several negatives associated with them that more than make up for the $200-300 you save over a mechanical LSD. Clutch chatter at low speeds/sharp turns with aggressive clutch packs, avoid the aggressive tuning and there isn't enough grip, clutch packs usually wear out after 30,000 miles so in 30,000miles the clutch type ends up costing the same as a mechanical unit. One thing nice about clutch pack types is that you can "re-tune" the LSD easier by changing the clutch packs of course all of this requires opening the tranny back up.

Next year (or the year after?) I'll let you know how my spider gears are when I re-open the tranny. As of now I have about 8 months and 10,000 miles on the "LSD conversion" unit. My motor puts out enough power (4G93 1.8L) to have me run low 15s with mid 90mph traps in a 2200lb (racing weight) mirage...just to give an idea of the type of abuse the tranny must endure.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 01:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ah, Rob, Bahamut, DiaM, you guys rule. You helped out tons. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Oh wait a minute, I didn't start this thread.

Quick Reply: Phantom Grip v RRM