Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Phantom Grip v RRM

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2002, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlkLancer. I can 100% say that no, I was not referrencing you in all honesty. To be perfectly frank, this is the first time I’ve been aware of you as a member, and thereby lack your prior post-history, and as such cannot draw conclusions. I hardly ever judge another member’s attitudes on the basis of one thread, and to be honest, I think that newbie is a state of mind rather than title. There are many evolving members who still act like noobs, and so, I don’t go by what some script says by your name, but rather by the quality of the information and candor in your posts.

However, that is not to say that there are not some members who are so pro-RRM that seemed blind to alternatives. It’s almost as if those certain members would buy used oil from RRM if RRM put their name on it and said it would work, and then berate other members for not doing the same (not to say that RRM would ever sell anything less than quality or embelish upon the performance of their products; I think that their reputation speaks to that quite clearly).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m as pro-RRM as the next Lancer owner, and am extremely appreciative of all they’ve done, and all they continue to do to offer the Lancer Community parts and upgrades. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, that I’d be willing to pay extra for a part from RRM than an equal part from someone else, due only to their reptuation for great customer service, and for their involvement in the community. That being said, I’m more pro-options than I am pro-RRM, if those options are of equal or better quality. It is Car Customization, after all, and if there was only one choice, we’d all have the same car (modification-wise, of course). For now, RRM is the best around. But, I’ll still keep my eye out for the BBD (bigger better deal), if one ever comes along. That’s pretty much the consumer’s responsibility.

Dude, let me ask you one thing you left out (or maybe it was inferred), but, was this a mod worth the money?
Old Dec 4, 2002, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

no ya see at the end of the posts we all be come a happy fam, cause i hear what your saying and agree with you.

and if i came across as rough in my posts these or any i apologize i'am just blunt and just say it

also if your asking if i bought the rrm lsd no not yet i was waiting till summer cause i hate working on my car in the cold i was looking to get it by june or so cause then maybe i by then i can go turbo and lsd. and as you mention maybe RRm will bring thier price down or a BBD will come along.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Trust me, I've had much rougher posts put up to me than that. I didn't know if you had the RRM LSD or not (I don't know of anyone who does, actually).

I was asking DudeInAMirage, or Dude for short if the PG LSD was a mod worth the cash.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they would buy used oil from us then we must of done something right!!

How does this sound? " ROAD/RACE 10W PIMPY TURBO OIL!"

ROAD/RACE

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Dec 4, 2002, 02:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

How much does it cost and how many horsepower will it give me?

Now it's time to do more reading on LSD's...since we weigh 1/4ton less than an AWD eclipse and we're heavier than a Mirage where would that put us as far as the danger of destroying our spider gears through aggressive (but not insane) daily driving?

I've got a lot of planning to do and I'm trying to cut costs, but not corners if you dig what I'm plantin'.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, Rock, you guys have some pretty loyal customers, and while I respect that (sometimes), being in that kind of mindset can sometimes lead to just generally foolish purchases and decisions. As far as money is concerned, I'm on the side I'm always on: mine.

A very good question as far as the weight issue, because I was thinking the same thing myself. Wish there was a method of time travel so we could test it out, and then go back and RESET if we were wrong...
Old Dec 4, 2002, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, DIM has appeared.

I'll ask him to appear again on your Q, SL.

Edit: Well, I guessed he appeared before I had a chance to email him.

Last edited by bahamut; Dec 4, 2002 at 08:52 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Summoning DIM... it's like some kind of wizadry.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 08:03 PM

Yes, to me it is worth the money. Next year if there is significant internal damage then it won't be worth the money.

But, remember the F5M42 casing, gears AND final drive (differential) have the same ratios, dimensions, and number (other than bellhousing) in the 4G64 2.4L eclipse...so it is "beefy" enough to handle that torquey motor's output with no expected failure.

I enjoy doing all my own work and was happy to have a good reason to crack open my tranny (as masocistic as that may seem). If you do it make sure you have all the small replacement parts ahead of time (tranny seals, pins, etc). The immediate performance results are very satisfactory. I still have a huge grin on my face every time I put the power down through a turn that I *know* should have me sliding off the road, yet I just pull through the turn very fast.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Good question. No numbers on weight. Next install (maybe next week) I'll throw both on the scale.

ROAD/RACE

Old Dec 4, 2002, 08:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Street, You seem pretty serious. Let me be serious now. We work hard to earn the following that we have. It is important! In fact, I think it is everything. I take it seriously and we will continue to run ROAD/RACE in the helpful manner that we have. Our mindset is simple. Earn business and you stay in business!

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 4, 2002, 10:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well if my final decision is BM Tranny I have the luxury of being able to drive down there. Hopefully they will do in house installs. Down time shouldn't be an issue as long as my sister is at school and I have her MX-6. I can always bum a ride there or back from a friend.

Rob, I think I know where SL is coming from. It seems to me what he's trying to say is he appreciates what you're doing, but he's tired of the sycophants. I don't think he's trying to blame you for your wild success. Quite frankly I think it would be impossible to find a Lancer owner who knows of you guys or owns a product of yours and doesn't appreciate how you've embraced the Lancer as a tunable car and put yourself into a position where demands outweigh manpower. Don't wanna take this too far off topic. This and the NA stages thread with all of RE6's info are by far the best and most informative threads in recent memory!

As far as your LSD install goes, Rob...do you think this would be doable by someone with decent technical knowledge and pretty good problem solving skills (and the ability to turn a wrench )? Basically, can I do it without putting my car at serious risk? I trust myself to do it, but only with proper tools, preparation and instructions, but I don't know what I'm really in for either.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 03:33 PM

I just took a long while reading this thread.. thanks for all of the input!!! WoW this forums is quite active.....
Old Dec 7, 2002, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Well if...As far as your LSD install goes, Rob...do you think this would be doable by someone with decent technical knowledge and pretty good problem solving skills (and the ability to turn a wrench )? Basically, can I do it without putting my car at serious risk? I trust myself to do it, but only with proper tools, preparation and instructions, but I don't know what I'm really in for either.
I'm not Rob, but I feel if you have a full weekend, patience, an actual service manual (I don't think a Chilton's or Haynes would be adequate), and a decent set of tools it shouldn't be too much. I feel that taking the tranny fully apart was actually easier than just getting the tranny down off the car. The F5M42 weighs 99.5 lbs (roughly) so becareful as there are many rough cast aluminum parts on the casing that can cut you with that amount of weight on it. I used a set of ramps, a tall floor jack, jack stands and a second jack. If you don't have any problem getting the axles out of the tranny the rest (other than putting the tranny back in) is a cake walk. If you have access to renting a garage with lift and tranny stand you'll be much better off. The tranny internals are easy to deal with...just have a clean dust free area to work in.

Note: Go get a new clutch at the same time...just have someone run your new clutch and flywheel out to a local machine shop for resurfacing and balancing while you work on the tranny.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Rob, I meant no disrespect, but, Andrew speaks true. I really do appreciate/admire/respect the step that RRM took in taking in the Lancer. In fact, the day after I got my Lancer, the RRM website was the first thing I stumbled across, which ultimately led me to the forums. So, you might say I owe all the cumulative knowledge I have about the Lancer and imports in general to RRM. That being said, I think that RRM has a ton of substance to it (obviously), but there are some that hype it up to where it almost is overwhelming. I mean, I'm not talking about those that would recommend the RRM SRI over the RMR SRI, but, I am talking about the few that seem to absolutely, outright BASH anything that RRM does not sell. Customer or Brand loyalty is a rare things these days, however, some take it to fanatacism levels. This is not wise. This is a bad thing. Moderation is good in all things, and that includes brand loyalty.

I don't want you to think that whenever I say anything about the customer base that I am goofing on them for goofing's sake. I am doing it for a reason.

I am completely, dead serious when I say that I don't think that RRM is a threat to consumers at large, but, I will say that closing your mind to options is a bad thing all around, be it in tuning or otherwise. I am extremely precise in my questions for two reasons: 1) I don't think that many people consider the things I ask, out of hand; and 2) Because I like to see my own thoughts in print in order to sort out what I am thinking, or wondering. The fact that this is how I amass the knowledge that I have is a secondary benefit. In other words, I am not slamming your customer base, because I am a part of it. I am, however, saying that those who would "pledge allegiance to RRM, and all others be damned" need to open their bleedin' eyes.

Quick Reply: Phantom Grip v RRM