Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

possible 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by engineerboy
Hey stud. You need a reality check and some downers. You know what your kind of blind motivation will yield? a car in pieces on the floor of a garage. A garage that you owe thousands of dollars to, even though they didn't finish the project. Worse, you won't want to just say "wow, that sucks, I was really really wrong about this. Please put it back together"

Just take a quick gander at your compatriot in "money talks, BS walks" : https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=swap

6 months into his 10 day project and he's either so happy with his swap that he didn't bother to come back and tell us how great it is and how wrong we all are, or.... yeah, it didn't happen.

5 gears is plenty. when you actually start making enough power to bump the 136-odd MPH limit of the stock gears, how about you take my man's advice and start looking at a new set of gears then.
*begins slow clap*
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked that other thread. You need to talk to Omarboy about his setup and what he's done to his tranny, if anything. He's making significantly more power than anyone with a 4G94.
as long as you have the cryochamber, if they'll let you add a few things, I'd say put the differential and driveshafts in with the rest of your stuff. Bam- now you don't have to sweat that quite as much.

All vitriol aside, I hope this works out for you. I know cryotreating does some fairly miraculous things (I'm actually looking at a DIY setup for my knives to increase wear resistance and flexibility).

What would be REALLY interesting is to install the turbo as-is and tune it. Then after you've made a best time with it, cryotreat it and retest. A before and after could better prove your claim that cryotreat is the way to go.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If the evo can function with a 5-speed, I'm sure the lancer can. If you ever get your car above the 300hp or so mark (which will cost a hell of a lot of money) you might not want to bother with a 6 speed upgrade, the 5 speed should be stronger and more than enough realistically speaking.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:54 PM

Everybody had some very usefull information and i appreciate you all talking about that info you had. To let you all know the reason i said that is because i have been around here reading a lot of post and i see a lot of people go off on people telling them to search so i am not meaning anything personal except if you don't have anything usefull to tell me and "search" is the only thing you can say... please don't post in my thread. And to you engineerboy, i do my own work i don't let shops touch my car plus it saves me a lot of money. I am researching which is why i am asking the question i am about doing it, if i am told its not possible or will cost out the *** i'm not going to do it.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were doing the mod youself, just machine a new set of transmission gears. You could make them have straight teeth so you get the awesome transmission whine like the GT and F1 cars. (think of reverse and flooring it in a civic-- except going forward in every gear, it sounds bad-@ss) It also puts more power right to the drivetrain with alot less loss than the stupid spiraled gears. The gear ratio could be all up to you.. I would keep it close so the car would sprint really good and have a lower top speed. It would be perfect for the US since the odds are you live in a city area where you can't go fast without breaking the law where people see you.. lol. I would kill to have a nice close gear ratio with the straight toothed gears. I was going to have my friends dad try to get me the specs so I could machine some here at work. He worked designing engines/trans for Lotus a while back.. Hes retired now.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
If you were doing the mod youself, just machine a new set of transmission gears. You could make them have straight teeth so you get the awesome transmission whine like the GT and F1 cars. (think of reverse and flooring it in a civic-- except going forward in every gear, it sounds bad-@ss) It also puts more power right to the drivetrain with alot less loss than the stupid spiraled gears. The gear ratio could be all up to you.. I would keep it close so the car would sprint really good and have a lower top speed. It would be perfect for the US since the odds are you live in a city area where you can't go fast without breaking the law where people see you.. lol. I would kill to have a nice close gear ratio with the straight toothed gears. I was going to have my friends dad try to get me the specs so I could machine some here at work. He worked designing engines/trans for Lotus a while back.. Hes retired now.
hey that's pretty cool. you should try that ... but wouldn't you get a little annoyed after a while if it's your daily driver? lol
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wiretap
Instead of that.. it would probably be cheaper to put in closer ratio gears.. but still remain a 5speed. Please search first.. someone just posted this same topic like 3 weeks ago.

Ive heard this before, but I dont really understand how it functions...
what does changing the ratio do for the car exactly, and how do you make those changes?

Marcos M. Duarte
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The gear ratios are basically the relationship between the engine revolutions and the wheel revolutions. Its not easy (or cheap) to change, you have to basically replace the gears already present in the transmission.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 09:14 PM

The most important reason that people change gear ratios is that it changes the way your car accelerates. A close ratio gear box keeps the gap between the gear ratios shorter so the engine can accelerate faster through the gear (this is because the rpm it comes back in at after shifting is higher and it can keep you in the power band). The trade off is a lower top speed. The same thing can be done with differential gearing, although I think that only applies to rear wheel drive cars. I'm not sure if you can change the differential gearing on FWD.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Why does anyone ever want a 6 spd for a low end market car? None of the miragers ever want 6 spd, because it's fruitless expense.

Closer gear ratio = faster sprints and sacrifices top end speed. Also, a lot more gear shifting.

BTW: making a new tranny isn't a project that anyone can create in their garage.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alchemist
Just take a quick gander at your compatriot in "money talks, BS walks" : https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=swap

6 months into his 10 day project and he's either so happy with his swap that he didn't bother to come back and tell us how great it is and how wrong we all are, or.... yeah, it didn't happen.
actually.... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=159150&page=1
you should prolly check his recent threads.. he did complete it with a 6.5tme motor.