Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

anyone had a leaking slave cylinder???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anyone had a leaking slave cylinder???

lately i have been driving and the clutch engaging point requires the pedal to be pushed down further, so i decided to take it to an auto shop and have it checked out. by the time i got there, the gears would barely engage. the shop said with parts and labor (including new oem sachs clutch, tob, etc.) it would be about 1200. im at 56k mi, and have factory clutch, i just figure in the long run it would save me ~$500 for labor on installing a new now rather than waiting to do it in 10-20k. has anyone had this problem? how much did it cost? im not too knowledgeable when it comes to tranny so i want to know about what it should cost. thanks for any help.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:18 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86340

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=132608
Old Jun 25, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

rasputin had said 770 for parts and labor, but that is just to replace the slave cylinder (which is internal on 02-03 lancers). so you spend the same amount in labor to have that replaced as you do the clutch, and seeing that several of the 02-03 lancer owner's clutch life is less than 60k (i am at 56k), no sense in risking having a clutch die and spend another 550 again in a short time for the same labor that will be done. thats why i am asking if anyone has had all of it replaced.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ch+replacement

Last edited by oz4g94; Jun 25, 2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm, I wouldn't have expected the slave to fail so early, and it's not like this a super widespread issue. You've got an 02, and if you were like me, that means your warranty went out the door at 36,000...unless you bought an extended.

When I got rid of my 02 at 70k, I had no leaking or loss of feel. Gear changes were just as good as the day I picked it up with 3 miles. Sucks to have something like this happen, but if you do have an extended warranty, I'd think about asking the dealer, and paying whatever deductible your plan has. Mine was only 500 for anything that would be a warranty repair.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

^yeah, well unfortunately it did. it really couldnt have come at a worse time either, i had just gotten the money to buy a apexi safc2, big bore fuel rail and larger injectors. oh well, now i will be spending it on getting my car fixed. im not sure if it has an extended warranty, i bought it one year old.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard of Evo's having a spring or something in the slave cylinder so it wears the clutch out faster.. and thats its sole purpose. Anyone know about this in the lancer? BTW, the evo people said it was perfecly fine to remove it, and it effected nothing else, it just gives you longer clutch life.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

get the parts and do it yourself I had to buy one when i replaceed my clucth, i put it in my self do get the part from the dealership the most you will pay doing it yourself would be around 200.00
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

are they sure it is the slave only. i had a 2g eclipse with this "problem." Drove from Chicago to Dnever in a snow storm where i could only drive 45 without a clutch, about 17 hours. No reverse so no parking. They resplaced my salve, did not fix. Replaced it again, did not fix. Replaced the master, did not fix. Replaced the lines three times. The whole time they tried to scam me by telling me they should replace the clutch. It eneded up when I pressed in the clutch, it would hit and break off my lines from my slave to master. A $10 problem cost me almost a $1000. Never really fixed it, so I traded it in for my EVO one day when it didn't have problems. Good luck.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

well thanks for all of the input. since i had it bled and put more fluid in, it hasnt seemed to give me any problems. i have been checking the fluid level in the resevoir daily and is not decreasing at all. i think that the bleeder valve just wasnt tightened completely and it was leaking there. i going to continue monitoring it for the next couple of weeks , because i think that is all that it was. ill update again later.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE: it has been several weeks since bleeding the slave cylinder and filling the resevoir again, fortunately enough, it has not decreased at all in the weeks since. so i believe that it was a leaking bleeder valve. thankfully i didnt go ahead and waste the money trying to fix it when there was in fact not a problem.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem and bleeding it has worked for 6 months now.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

i just got back from having my timing belt/water pump done and i had the dealership check to make sure the slave cylinder wasnt leaking, and they said that it was just fine. they said it was most likely the bleeder valve came loose. so now i can continue to build.