Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Stock Clutch Vs Stg 1 Clutch Vs Stg 2 Clutch...which???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2005, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock Clutch Vs Stg 1 Clutch Vs Stg 2 Clutch...which???

hey!

so Mitsubishi has to do warranty work on my car w/ the transmission and I found out that if i want the clutch replaced i only have to pay $98.00 for labour instead of the normal labour of $500.00, thats awesome in my opinion, so im gonna get a clutch since im running stage 2, in my opinion that is a smart choice.

so heres my question 4 u... i like the feel of my clutch, do I NEED a stg 2 clutch,w/ a stg 2 turbo? is there a different feel between stock, stg 1 clutch and stg 2 clutch
if i end of getting a stg 1 clutch and am running stg 2 will my clutch wear quicker??

pls keep in mind i am a daily driver and i do deal w/ a lot of rush hour in the week considering my hours i work are 9am - 5pm
lemme know thanks

if there is a post on this already, pls direct me in the right direction...thank u
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
STAGE 2 turbo means you may as well go Stage 2 clutch. You will be happier longer if you do that.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

how bad is the stiffness on the stage 2 clutch??

cause if im gonna be a daily driver i dont wanna brutally stiff clutch...
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is stiffer than stock. Lets call it boy stiff, not for girls. Can't have heavy duty race type clutch but feather lite pedal.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

i have it, it aint bad, trust me, its well worth it, you can definatly deal with it. the big upside is that it will last wayy longer than stg one clutch would, and it will grab harder, i can almost chirp 3rd gear with mine. i have same hours as you, rush hour traffic, i have no problem with this. hell, if u think its too rough, take a trip to the gym, lol. if i were u i would get a lightweight flywheel for that turbo while your trans. is all apart.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

k coo thanks for the advice...

Rock, do u need thing additional when buying the clutch??
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

u need the clutch kit from rrm, which is like 439?? i dont remember. u should also buy a new mitsu throw out bearing assembly, its like 100 bucks from stealership, I MUST ADVISE U THOUGH, mine was fine before replacing the clutch, but i said, its apart i might as well change it, well, after about 500 miles the new t.o.b. started clanking and hasnt stopped since, so if yours isnt making noise i suggest u leave it be, and just change your pressure plate and clutch disc which is all that is needed and all that is included with rrm's stg 2 kit, believe me, you'll love it, i love mine very very much, lol.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Realistically, you only need a clutch that will handle the power you are throwing down to the ground. You dont need a monstrous heavy duty clutch that can handle 550 hp and you will never see that mark. Just get a clutch that will do the job and can handle increased load.

I have had a ClutchMasters Stage 1 in my car now for YEARS, probably about 3 years now. It has handled tons of abuse NA, and even more abuse FI and has not slipped, or moaned or nothing. Mind you, it is just a stage 1. Even numerous romps at 20psi and one at 28psi, the tyres were slipping before the clutch was.

Moral of story: because you are running a Stage 99 FI package does not necessarily translate to the ned for a Stage 99 clutch. And I would shop around for a clutch kit. You can usually find Stage 1s and 2s for under 400 bucks, inclusive of pressure plate, disc, release bearing, pilot bearing and the tool for alignment.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Remember, WORKS came out with 2 clutches too (stage 1 and stage 2, also a lightened flywheel). Don't get me wrong, RRM is awesome and I love their stuff, I'm just telling you there's other ones out there to look at as well.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Almost forgot the "newbies" coming on to the scene and doing excellently.... Works, I have heard good things about, and my fellow Mirage buddy has a Spec clutch that he has no problems with, and it was cheaper than the ACT. There is another one that is slipping my mind right now.....
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
RPW makes clutch kits as well.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Im ordering a stage 2 clutch when my stupid credit card gets here this week.. I need it bad. lol, I'm going to get it and max it out on the first day w0000t! Stage2 clutch + lightened flywheel + steel clutchline. I need all of it installed before I go on vacation before 7/15 too.. hopefully this happens or I'll be taking my brothers ralliart on the trip. =/
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
Im ordering a stage 2 clutch when my stupid credit card gets here this week.. I need it bad. lol, I'm going to get it and max it out on the first day w0000t! Stage2 clutch + lightened flywheel + steel clutchline. I need all of it installed before I go on vacation before 7/15 too.. hopefully this happens or I'll be taking my brothers ralliart on the trip. =/
I dont want to rain on anyone's parade but you should evealuate credit and its consequences before going on this spending spree. In all honesty, it's not worth it to max it out.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

well if his car is broke and he has no other one to drive and needs to and doesnt ave the money.... what else can he do...(dont say go to the parents)

Quick Reply: Stock Clutch Vs Stg 1 Clutch Vs Stg 2 Clutch...which???