Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

NTB: Clutch for 2003 OZ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NTB: Clutch for 2003 OZ

I need to replace my clutch on my 2003 OZ. I talked to the dealership and they will install the aftermarket clutch and keep my warranty (if they do the installation).

Now i need to know what the options are and suggestions on clutch brands...

I figure that this is an opportunity to upgrade...however i am not looking for a big performance gain...just something a bit bettter then stock..

Suggestions / reviews are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in the same boat as you...I'm considering getting a clutch from CNFX performance. They have 5 stages of clutches for our lancer.

Run a search though...RRM, RPW --visionimports.com, and works also sell clutches for the Lancer. Then there is also the Mirage ACT clutches but the throw out bearing on those will not work and you may have to get one from the dealer.

WADAD
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WADADLIG_OZ
I'm in the same boat as you...I'm considering getting a clutch from CNFX performance. They have 5 stages of clutches for our lancer.

Run a search though...RRM, RPW --visionimports.com, and works also sell clutches for the Lancer. Then there is also the Mirage ACT clutches but the throw out bearing on those will not work and you may have to get one from the dealer.

WADAD
CNFX has great deals on their clutches and if you ever want to replace your flywheel, go with WORKS because it's cheaper .
Old Nov 4, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

While this thread is here I just want to make sure what I have read everywhere is corroborated.

If you are staying NA then a stage one clutch is more than enough correct? If you plan on forced induction then it's best to get atleast a stage 2.

WADAD
Old Nov 8, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Reboot
If you haven't bought your clutch yet I just ordered a stage one and will give you a review if you want one.

WADAD
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

I just got my car back from the shop and I had them put in a Works Stage 1 clutch. After just driving it tonight it is very different from stock. My tires chirp in first from a dead stop and again in second. They weren't kidding when they said that it has 75% more grip than stock. This clutch setup is very nice but I still think it needs to be broken in. I feel like I have my low end back now. The clutch was only 299.00 too... which is far below what the dealer wants for theirs. If I were you and not planning on going FI, go with this clutch. Hell even if you go FI this clutch should do you... I don't know what people are talking about when they say you need a stage 2 clutch, that's only if you are pushing 250+ whp, and from what you said that's unlikely.

Also when considering what stage clutch to get, stages are different for each company. CNFX Stage 2 might be equal to Works Stage 2... (I'm not sure what is what the actaual comparison is) but when I made my decision I compared gripping strength, price, what I want to do in the future (which includes FI), Evom member reviews and refferals and my own judgment. In my eyes the Works clutch was just as good or better than others and Works has a great rep on these boards. In addition their price beat out everyone else, save for some of the Mirage ACT clutch setups. The good thing is, no matter what you do, anything is better than stock. Good luck...

Fox
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

I take it you did not replace the TOB.

I emailed Works and the addition of the TOB put it slightly over a stage one I got from Vision imports. I hope those won't be my famous last words but once I actually receive the clutch and get it installed I will be able to give a more complete review. The clutch comes with everything included supposedly.

I think break in is supposed to be atleast 500 miles and I know for me that will be tough with the way I am accustomed to driving.

WADAD
Old Nov 9, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

No I insisted that the shop put in a new TOB. Why do the job if you aren't going to do it right?

I'm at 50 miles right now... you almost have to give it more gas to engage the clutch effeciently. I don't know if I can wait 500 miles... haha.

Fox
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

How much was your TOB? Or are you saying it came included with the clutch?

WADAD

Last edited by WADADLIG_OZ; Nov 9, 2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:51 PM

thanks for all the reponses... I would definatelly appreciate a feedback WADADLIG_OZ on your clutch.

I also have to make sure i can find something local in canada as shipping on this will be significant IMHO
Old Nov 9, 2005, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

How much was your TOB? Or are you saying it came included with the clutch?

WADAD
You can pick up the TOB for about 50 bucks from the dealership or you can order it from Works for about 90.

Fox
Old Nov 9, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

There are 2 different throw out bearings. The older Lancers have the more expensive one. Alas it was 8X.00 from both the dealer and from Works. The new TOB only costs like $50. I priced a new clutch assembly from 2 dealers before I purchased an aftermarket one.

I'm getting the Spec stage 1 clutch which also happens to be the same clutch type sold by CNFX.

I hope it gets here tomorrow so I can have it installed by Saturday.

WADAD
Old Nov 10, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

There are 2 different throw out bearings. The older Lancers have the more expensive one. Alas it was 8X.00 from both the dealer and from Works. The new TOB only costs like $50.
I did not know that... that makes me wonder which one I got. I got to see the old TOB my mechanic took out and that thing was fried. Smelled like hell too.

Fox
Old Nov 10, 2005, 03:23 PM
HBZ

my WORKS stage2 and lightweight flywheel is in the mail, should have it tomorrow..
Old Nov 10, 2005, 04:00 PM

ok...so now i am confused...do i need a TOB as well?
There was a Service Advisory for the TOB...is that related in any way?

Quick Reply: NTB: Clutch for 2003 OZ