Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

FWD Transmission Removal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erikocc
hey hotshot, i am in the same prob as you. i spent FOREVER looking for a service manual for a 03 lancer, and found one company.. forgot the name... that had one for nearly $400. i said screw that and pay the $13 to get a cd one off ebay - i just did it a day ago, cd hasnt come, so i hope it wasnt some scam for $13! but ya, thats the only two places i could find something for our car.
oh, i didnt call the dealership though, i dont overall like my dealership.
yeah the ebay one should come in a few days. if it doesn't pm me.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HBZ
my bad !! i figured he could figure that out .. he was just wanting a little instruction on how to get it out..

HOTSHOT ,,,

DONT FORGET TO RESURFACE YOUR FLYWHEEL!!!

now excuse me i need to go kill myself..i forgot 1 step out of 100..

GO2fast will you be my friend??
grow up moron

you need a pry bar and something to support the trans. if you know somebody with a lift it will cut a lot of time off of the job. most of us (including myself) do not have access to a lift though. the nut on the drive axles is fairly large as well. make sure you have a socket to fit that before you start the job. just make sure you put everything back in EXACTLY how it came out. if you are doing the clutch...torque the bolts properly or you will have a blown stage II clutch on your bench in less than 9k miles on it like i do. the pressure plate will not function right and turn into a potato chip oh yeah, i do not recommend laying that trans on your chest. it is about 75-110lbs...but i'm a scrawny little guy so i can't really move with that on me good luck. if you get in a jam and get confused PM me, i'll send you pics from the service manual.

EDIT: meant to say earlier --> i like the mods list
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Good chimp in!!!

Its so tru about that socket. Its a large one and if im correct it needs to be a deep socket one. I think!!

As for supporting the tranny with no lift, use and floor jack and a engine lift. Jack the car up really high and support it with jack stands. Then put the floor jack under the motor for support. Connect a chain to the tranny and Use the lift connected to the chain to lower the tranny. The engine lift comes in handy when u put the tranny back up. It allows you to move the tranny freely to align it into the motor without all the lifting.

Comatose what clutch are u running????
Old Jan 6, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

ACT Stage II...my second stage II clutch...3rd in all hahhaha.

that socket is NOT deep set. it is just large enough that it looks deep set. i didn't use jack stands when i did the job though. i just put a quilt under the trans so nothing got into the housing when i dropped it. there were two of us as well so we let it down slow together. a jack will do fine if you dont have extra stands. just put a small peice of plywood on it and center it under the trani (if you are doing the job by yourself). use your one free hand to make sure it stays balanced over the jack and let it down slow with your other hand.

NOTE: check the lower pan on the bottom of your tranny after you reinstall it. mine sprung a small leak!!! if needed, remove the plate (of course drain the gear oil first), clean the area, dry it, and apply some RTV high temp silicone on there and bolt it back up. mine hasn't leaked since.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

ok im at school right now, ive asked me dad to start removing the axles and tranny, however, he is having a lot of difficutly removing the axle from the transmission. he took some pictures i will get them posted up this evening, maybe someone can point me in the right direction so i can give him some heads up on what he might be doing wrong, its tough for me to tell becuase im at school and i don' get home that often. i'll throw some pics up and u guys can help me out a little bit.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what to tell you/him. It's just a matter of prying and yanking. There's no special trick. Just gotta pry it out as best you can.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

well with two grown men prying and yanking / pulling, it went nowhere. they are either prying at the wrong part, or there is something that they are doing wrong.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

bump, pictures up
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

i added little arrows to show where to pry from...just make sure the full rotor assembly is removed and that the hub is also removed before trying to pry/pull the CV out. you can use a crow bar if that is all you have. be careful with the CV joints though, make sure that you do not damage the boots. they are a pain in that a$$ to get out. when removing mine we damaged the left CV boot. good luck.

mark
Attached Thumbnails FWD Transmission Removal-cv-1.jpg   FWD Transmission Removal-cv-2.jpg   FWD Transmission Removal-cv-3.jpg  
Old Feb 13, 2006, 07:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta be the wrong area. I got mine out by myself (and I have no problem admitting that I'm really weak).

As Mark said, make sure that location is the last thing connecting the arm to the car (remove the CV from the spindle first).
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
I got mine out by myself (and I have no problem admitting that I'm really weak).
i'll second that 5ft 7.5 inches and weigh 133lbs...i'm pretty little.

anyways, did you get them out? any updates for us?
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

nothin yet im trying to relay the info to my dad, either way im goin home this weekend so i'll work on it myself if it hasn't been done yet. i gotta thank you guys for the help.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

I'm doing this on my car now, and can't get the damn axles out! This sucks...
Old Feb 15, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Nevermind...prybar, and mallot did the job. Those little retaining rings hold the axle in pretty well.

Quick Reply: FWD Transmission Removal