Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

FWD Transmission Removal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWD Transmission Removal

I'm about to drop the tranny on my '03 Lancer, and I'm looking for any advice or how-to's as I'm not so familiar with dropping a transmission. I'm looking for advice on disconnecting the drive wheels and CV joints and things like that. I'm sure there are people on here who have done their own tranny work and plenty of evo guys that are familiar with FWD transmission removal, so any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sawzall.

Seriously though, if you don't have the service manual I'd recommend getting one. They help break that stuff down for you so that it's easier to tackle. Do you have a pry bar and something to support the tranny once you unbolt it? You're probably going to need them both.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

I was told that if you drop the tranny down onto your chest its not that heavy to just wheel out from under the car and then lay onto the ground. my car only has 12k on it and hasn't seen an ohio winter yet so things aren't rusted, i am confident that the tranny bolts themselves will come off with air tools. i just don't know the technicalities of removing the transmission. do you know where i can get a service manual that encompasses the 2003 lancer? I have been unable to find one, i'm sure if i got a mirage manual it would be nearly identical. I have a manual for a 1g eclipse fwd, do you think i could reference that?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I want to say it weighs somewhere between 75 and 125lbs, but that's not something that is easy to do on your own. It's unlikely those bolts will rust in place however because the case is aluminum. The transmission and block are the same as the Mirage, yes. I don't know about the CV joints and everything, but I doubt it's much different. You could steal one off ebay, but I feel somewhat obligated to say the only legal means of obtaining one is through your dealership.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

hmm, alright, i'm gonna get under there tomorrow and start looking around at what's goin on, hopefully by then i've got some more insight as to what i should do. I have had a tough time finding a lancer specific manual, but i'll see what I can do.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From when I removed my axle, you just pry, basically. There's a little spring clip holding it in that you have to make sure not to lose.

To be honest, I don't remember if I had to physically remove the clip by hand or if it just came, as it's been about a year. But the guys at Mentor Mitsu just told me to pry something between the axle and the tranny and yank until it comes loose.

It might be good to call the service dept. and ask just in case I'm remembering something wrong.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:49 PM

The whole removal is just unbolting and prying. I did it last year when i put my new clutch in. I didnt have a manual. "Ok boys, lets get to work" and we did it. it was a MAJOR pain in the @$$ though
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Get a haynes/chilton manual and they will tell you how to do it. shouldn't be more than $20.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i was looking for the chilton or any similar manual but i havn't been able to find one for the lancer.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:25 PM
HBZ

i put a works lighweight flywheel and stage 2 clutch in my 02 like 2 months ago.

i found i little write up on here somewhere that walked you through it pretty good.

it was actually pretty easy , i did it by myself there was a couple of times where another set of hands would have been nice.. i will try to find that litle write up for you ..

and you don't have to take the clips off by hand..
Old Jan 2, 2006, 03:40 PM
HBZ

hey hotshot here is the write up i used and it was pretty close...

* well to take the axles out of the tranny you need to drain the tranny fluid take off the wheels then unbolt the struts then what you wanna do is remove that huge retaining nut in the middle of the spindle
* push that side of the cv through the back of spindle so you have the cv just conected to the tranny
* get a special cv joint removal tool (prybar lol) stick it in between the tranny and cv joint making sure you dont cut the cv joint seal
* once you have the 2 cv out remove all the sensor wiring from the mounts on the tranny (ecept the speed sensor one as this is a ***** to unplug)
* take out the 2 14mm bolt thats hold int he starter
* take out the 1 10 mm bolt that holds in the speed sensor
* take off the 2 shifter cables
* then take out the 3 17mm bolts that hold on the front cross member
* remove the 14mm nut/bolt from the front motor mount
* then take out the 14mm nut/bolt from the rear motor mount
* then remove all but one top and one bottom of the 14mm bolts that hold the tranny to the motor there are some cmoing from the drivers side and some from the pasenger

* get a tranny jack (if you have one a floor jack works good )
jack it up untill it GENTLY pushes up on the tranny
* after you have it up take off the nut bolt that holds the driver side tranny mount to the case and remove the 4 nuts that hold the mount to the tranny
* lower the tranny down so it hangs
* make sure there are no wiring harnesses left atached to the tranny
* pull the tranny out tword the driver side and it should be free
it doesent take much to get the thing apart if you get a smalll pry bar in between the tranny and motor it should come out rather easy if it doesent more then likely there is a bolt you missed that you just cant see

* remove the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel
* remove the old pressure plate and disk put the new one on make sure the side of the disk that stick out farther goes twords the tranny
* put on a few of the bolts that hold the plate to the flywheel dont make em tight yet
* line up the disk with a clutch alignment took or with your eyes and finger (i dont use the tool personaly)
* after you line it up tighten down the bolts in the "star pattern" make sure you only tighten them to 14 +- 2 ft-lb they dont go on super tight youll break emm off
* then just put everythign back together

well i hope that helps you out , but just know i thought it was harder to put the tranny back in , because you have to put it back in at an angle to clear the mounts..

let me know if you need anything else ...
Old Jan 3, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

What happened to resurfacing the flywheel?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 05:49 PM
HBZ

my bad !! i figured he could figure that out .. he was just wanting a little instruction on how to get it out..

HOTSHOT ,,,

DONT FORGET TO RESURFACE YOUR FLYWHEEL!!!

now excuse me i need to go kill myself..i forgot 1 step out of 100..

GO2fast will you be my friend??
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

ya the most important step!!!!

But i wont hate on u cuz it is a good write up. all i did was add to it!!!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:28 PM

hey hotshot, i am in the same prob as you. i spent FOREVER looking for a service manual for a 03 lancer, and found one company.. forgot the name... that had one for nearly $400. i said screw that and pay the $13 to get a cd one off ebay - i just did it a day ago, cd hasnt come, so i hope it wasnt some scam for $13! but ya, thats the only two places i could find something for our car.
oh, i didnt call the dealership though, i dont overall like my dealership.

Quick Reply: FWD Transmission Removal