Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT Launching RPM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007 | 04:56 PM

CVT Launching RPM

Hey , new to this site and to my GTS. I've had it for about a month now. For a little while i thought that maybe the car had some sort of traction control, because when power braking I can get the car up to 3500 4000 RPM and the car just bogs down, then goes. I'm kinda trying to brake the tires loose. Any one spinnning tires on their GTS, or even launching hard? I know its hard to lanuch hard in a FWD car, but I would atleast be happy with some smoke. ANYWAY, my question is, how high do you think i can power brake on the CVT. I dont want to brake a belt or anything. Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 2, 2007 | 04:51 PM

Not the best idea I have ever heard but good luck with the launch.
Old Jul 15, 2007 | 03:04 PM

Why are you launching a 154hp/3000lb car? the power/weight ratio is like 16.lame hp/lb
Old Jul 15, 2007 | 03:28 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

^^^ evo owners are always so positive....lol....anyway go and get some crappy tires and they should break loose easily but if you plan on having the car for some time I would somewhat baby it.....ya know , but by all means HAVE FUN....
Old Jul 15, 2007 | 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

yeah If you dont give a crap about your tranny go ahead and keep testing away and youll find what your looking for eventually. In my opinion, if you wanted to spin tires, the CVT was not the way to go at all. Why would you get an automatic when you want to spin tires? Its a 152HP 3000lb car, spinning tires on this car proves nothing except that you can spin one wheel and have crappy traction

I would say since your not too keen on preserving your cars reliability, I would just get a 50-75 shot of nitrous and then your good to go

Im sure its bogging cause the ECU has no clue whats going on...it doesnt use a throttle cable so the ecu is taking readings of the input you give the gas pedal and the car isnt rolling... idle speed is enough to roll 3000lbs worth of car... imagine the stress you are causing on the tranny at 4000 RPMs where the engine is already making a good amount of its power.. But hey if you are having fun, by all means carry on!

Last edited by chachipower; Jul 15, 2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2007 | 10:06 PM

I remember when I bought my first car (automatic civic) and I had the same question. Anywho I didn't ruin my transmission but looking back at it, it was a bit foolish. If you want a car that peels, and look silly while at it, I would get a beater or something. Don't ruin your nice shiny car.
Old Jul 18, 2007 | 10:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by mos_skeeto
I remember when I bought my first car (automatic civic) and I had the same question. Anywho I didn't ruin my transmission but looking back at it, it was a bit foolish. If you want a car that peels, and look silly while at it, I would get a beater or something. Don't ruin your nice shiny car.
Agreed. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm really starting to get the "look at what you bought and be realistic about it" mentality.
Old Jul 18, 2007 | 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Agreed. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm really starting to get the "look at what you bought and be realistic about it" mentality.
Its not really about getting old, its about being responsible... you dish out a lot of money for something and its in your best interest to take care of it instead of ruining it to spin a skinny tire with a FWD car
Old Jul 18, 2007 | 08:31 PM

at least he's not reving it up in nuetral and popping it in to drive
Old Aug 7, 2007 | 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

N drop FTW! And yeah ive tried brakestanding it once, and it does bog, theres just no way to "launch" a CVT or Auto without damaging your car. Makes me wish i got a manual.

Another thing that makes me cry is a friend of mine got a Speed6 for only 24k which i think i would have much rather had over the lancer since im looking for that crazy speed.

But i too am coming to accept the fact that my car really isnt a race car lol, its sad but ill come to terms eventually...
Old Aug 7, 2007 | 11:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by DoHBoY
But i too am coming to accept the fact that my car really isnt a race car lol, its sad but ill come to terms eventually...
You have a Mustang and a Camaro. Just remember the difference between a Daily Driver and a racecar toy.
Old Aug 7, 2007 | 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

If you think a neutral bomb is bad, I used to date a girl who's brother would rev his car in PARK and then throw it into drive. It surprises me it didn't blow up on him...that I know of.

But, back on topic, I noticed the bogging too, but I didn't care to fool around with it too much because I didn't want to mess anything up. I love the car, I just wish it had a little more 'giddy up' in the lower rpms.
Old Aug 7, 2007 | 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

I think im going to invest money into my car and make it into a more luxury car for now... chicks dig spacious expensiveness over a fast ricer

that is until i hit 100,001 and they have a turbo for the CVT then i dont care ill launch the hell out of it whatever way i can if i dont have enough get-up in the low rpms.

Another thing about the bogging, has anyone experienced the car just slugging along when you floor it or something of the sort? i know i made mention to this in another post but my car felt like i was going through wet tar.
Old Aug 8, 2007 | 10:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by DoHBoY
Another thing about the bogging, has anyone experienced the car just slugging along when you floor it or something of the sort? i know i made mention to this in another post but my car felt like i was going through wet tar.
Welcome to CVTland...
Old Aug 8, 2007 | 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

i have had it switch on me. usually when i floor it it doesn't go anywhere but i swear, 1 out of every 5 or so it jumps really hard and even fishtails a little bit like it is a manual.

seemed kind of random to me, which made me worry so i stopped doing it... lol

Quick Reply: CVT Launching RPM