Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

5th gear problems....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th gear problems....

Alright, so I've searched through the thread lately and no one else seems to have posted about this same problem... so here it is: (hopefully someone can help me)

When I'm driving... no matter if I'm racing or just driving normal... everytime I go to shift into 5th gear it grinds a little bit. I can still get into 5th it just sorta fights me and grinds before I'm completely engaged in 5th gear. Now here's the thing though... if I wait wait a few seconds before shifting into 5th and let the rpm's drop then it won't grind at all.

I've talked to a few of my friends and they think its my syncros going out. Which would probably be understandable considering my engine has like 93,000 miles on it (majority of highway/interstate.. I take a lot of trips). But I'm not sure. And if its just my syncros, is it possible just to replace my syncros or should I be looking at an entire new tranny here soon?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

i have the same problem... i don't have to wait seconds between 4th to 5th--but i do have to wait a little longer. it doesn't affect my driving now that i am used to it. it's easier to just modify how you shift than pull the transmission, disassemble it, and then replace the synchro.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lily03
Alright, so I've searched through the thread lately and no one else seems to have posted about this same problem... so here it is: (hopefully someone can help me)

When I'm driving... no matter if I'm racing or just driving normal... everytime I go to shift into 5th gear it grinds a little bit. I can still get into 5th it just sorta fights me and grinds before I'm completely engaged in 5th gear. Now here's the thing though... if I wait wait a few seconds before shifting into 5th and let the rpm's drop then it won't grind at all.

I've talked to a few of my friends and they think its my syncros going out. Which would probably be understandable considering my engine has like 93,000 miles on it (majority of highway/interstate.. I take a lot of trips). But I'm not sure. And if its just my syncros, is it possible just to replace my syncros or should I be looking at an entire new tranny here soon?

Its your synchro. The short term solution is to just rev match your shifts a little better to allow for easier engagement. Its like you said, if you let the RPMs drop a little more it doesn't grind. That's because you are shifting closer to where the RPMs will be once 5th gear is engaged. This means that the synchro doesn't have to try as hard to get the gear engaged at a higher or lower RPM. Take notice to where your RPMs drop to when shifting gears. The closer you get your RPMs to where they will be after engaging the gear, the smoother your overall shift will be with all gears. This will also put less stress on all of your synchros.

But to answer your repair question, it would be better to rebuild your entire transmission with all new synchros and seals or find a good used transmission. Opening up a transmission to replace only one synchro is kind of a waste of time and waste of money.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lily03

My solution would be to quit "racing" and just drive like a mature adult.

Last edited by bee_afraid; Oct 2, 2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

hey, there are actually several threads that were just started about this recently. Some people are saying that if you're stock then the stealership will warranty it, others say that they won't, and yet others say its not worth it to get it fixed by them. I have the same probelm and am pretty poor, so I'm going to try and have the dealership warranty it. there were seeral otehr suggestions, like new shifter bushings and adjust the clutch pedal. GL though
Old Oct 2, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

^Sry, but Evo tranny vs OZ Rally tranny...BIG differences!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bee_afraid
My solution would be to quit "racing" and just drive like a mature adult.
For the most part I have quit racing, if anything I just autoX and if you know anything about autoX the highest gear you get into is like 3rd. Least for our courses.

I agree with everyone else if I can match my shift points enough I'll be okay for a lil bit.

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
^Sry, but Evo tranny vs OZ Rally tranny...BIG differences!
I'm not taking about an Evo tranny. I drive a 03 OZ Rally so yeah....
Old Oct 3, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

went to my mitsu dealership today and tried playing stupid about already knowing my warranty was up but seeing what they would do for me....

no go.

there sticking to the fact my warranty went out around 56,000. damnt!! but yeah so i'm just gunna be match shifting it for awhile now.

***thanks for everyone's advice/ opinion... much appreciated.