Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT performance programs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT performance programs

Hi,

I am new, but not so new to the tuning community. I was wondering if WORKS or RRM might be working on a CVT tune. I don't mean a tune for the engine with CVT, I mean a tune just for the CVT. I figured since it has unlimited gear ratios, and is computer controlled, it would be worth a shot to make it as fast as possible. I see great potential with it.

thoughts?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueGTS
Hi,

I am new, but not so new to the tuning community. I was wondering if WORKS or RRM might be working on a CVT tune. I don't mean a tune for the engine with CVT, I mean a tune just for the CVT. I figured since it has unlimited gear ratios, and is computer controlled, it would be worth a shot to make it as fast as possible. I see great potential with it.

thoughts?
It would be nice, I think. 1st & 2nd gear are plain stupid...it would be nice to tweak them a bit.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

theres something in the being made. i dunno who's making it or when its releasing.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
It would be nice, I think. 1st & 2nd gear are plain stupid...it would be nice to tweak them a bit.
I know, the CVT first gear goes to 45mph....but then you have to be all the way into 3rd for 60....who the hell programed that mess
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor

work has already begun on a CVT Controller. I beleive there maybe been official news on it soon in Japan, I am not sure if Works or RRM are also working on the same project. My knowledge of the project itself is limited but from what i understand it will involve the engine tuning into the equation. Since techinically there is 2 ECUs not just one. The CVT has software that allows it to be adaptable to human inputs, in this case yo uwould have to disable that and create multiple profiles. I would assume, normal, Max TQ, Max HP. From the setup I have seen it utilizes the space near above and next to your knee if your driving a left hand drive car. you know where those 3 none funcution button/panal is.

anyways we will see what happens.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

something like that would be awesome. a setting for max gas mileage when just rolling around that i would probably never use and then some different types of settings that are more aggresive and know what to do with the extra power we will be giving it. maybe if when floored it would hold the rpms a little above 4000 and not around 6000. maybe even expanding the ratios more would be nice because ive noticed that going into D the rpms always go down compared to being in 6.

Last edited by WhiteGTS18; Jan 22, 2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:36 AM

This is exactly the conversation I was hoping to create! I will be very excited to hear about CVT specific products coming out. Hopefully someone will take notice and fill us in.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WhiteGTS18
something like that would be awesome. a setting for max gas mileage when just rolling around that i would probably never use and then some different types of settings that are more aggresive and know what to do with the extra power we will be giving it. maybe if when floored it would hold the rpms a little above 4000 and not around 6000. maybe even expanding the ratios more would be nice because ive noticed that going into D the rpms always go down compared to being in 6.
The CVT is actually currently engaged in max fuel economy by default, but based on a user input adapting software by Mitsubishi to learn a drivers habits. If you ride the brake, accellerate hard or passively, all of that is used to anticpate and be a more effective transmission. In essence, this CVT the bridge between drivers desire vs. Engine power. The controller may include an adaptive program geared for racing or performance learning profiles.

About the 6th gear ratio vs. D. I beleive the gear ratio range is fixed between the ratio of the 1st to the 6th gear, I am not sure the if their is a range beyond it. I think the reason why 6th is higher is due to fuel TQ Convert engagement, or being in a fix gear litterially. When in D mod I beleive you will notice that there is a bit of float when the throttle is not 100%. This is why if you are a passive driver, you may notice less engine braking.

Mitsu's Software programing and CVT design is proprietary so it will take some time to learn exactly how it operates and if it can be further optimised. It will be intersting to see if the transmission can hold up to normal N/A aggressive 100% throttle driving.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:37 PM

One thing that I would like to see are the types of programs that have been developed for VW/Audi. There is a company, APR that has a chip that you can select performance programs using your cruise control button. I had one once, and I would switch between stock and boost programs. It was excellent.