Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

2nd gear grind?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gear grind?

wtf, i only have 3g miles on my car, and it seems like my second gear syncro is worn out already, i sometimes when i put it into second, and ive tried this and made sure i put the clutch to the floor, i will get a grinding sound, like i grinded the gear but the clutch is in, wont happen every time, did this happen to anybody else? also what should i do?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take it to the dealer and make sure its doing it at the time. Only second gear? If thats the case then yes sounds like the synchros. But the best thing is to make sure it does it lots and let them hear it. Even wait until the problem develops. Its all covered under warranty so let it break or get worse.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:00 AM

I just had this same EXACT problem and i asked the same question here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=316085

I took it into the dealer this morning and they looked at it. What the technician told me was the cabling and linkage was corroding and had some kind of gunk build up on it, manufacturing probably didn't lubricate it properly. All he did was wipe the cabling down and re-lubricate it.

It fixed the grinding instantly, driving out of the dealership the shift was sooo smooth i had a hard time believing it. It's much smoother then it was when I first got it.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:06 AM

also just to add this is covered under warranty so when in doubt just take it in and let them look at it. I wonder just how many people are having this same exact issue?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:39 AM

I've been having the same problem since day one, although it has gotten a little better with time.

The Evo X seems to be having the same problem as well, I guess it's time to pay the dealer a little visit.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 01:29 PM

Only happened to me once, but it was my fault. Foot slipped off the clutch on a rainy day. Oops.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Happens to me several times a week actually. And first gear sometimes won't go in gear either. Had a hard time tonight trying to leave a red light, and caused massive traffice I need to visit the dealer soon, so probably this weekend. I'll let everyone know the 411 on how everything goes, if and when I do go
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by tranceguy420
Only happened to me once, but it was my fault. Foot slipped off the clutch on a rainy day. Oops.

We're talking about grinding happening with the clutch fully disengaged, aka to the floor. the grind isn't the clutch but something below the gear box.

My grinding hasn't come back , it has but very minimal and to the point where it's not a issue anymore.

1st gear lock out happens to me only when my revs are high but on the second try it goes in fine

Last edited by evolusent; Jan 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

this happens to me in third
i have almost 4k miles
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

i now have 4g's and am bringing it to the dealership this week, i now have a worse problem, it wont stay in second gear half the time , and i sometimes get that first gear lockout
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

I get this grinding too sometimes, but not always.
And only from 1to 2nd, (Downshift is always smooth)
Don't grind that much but well..
Gonna hit the dealer soon.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Unhappy

i was just on the way to the dealer to drop it off

Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MaRcO_GTS86
Happens to me several times a week actually. And first gear sometimes won't go in gear either. Had a hard time tonight trying to leave a red light, and caused massive traffice I need to visit the dealer soon, so probably this weekend. I'll let everyone know the 411 on how everything goes, if and when I do go
First gear is the most finiky gear for me as well. It seems to be getting better, but it's still VERY noticeable that 1st and 2nd gears are much more notchier than 3rd, 4th, and 5th... In the week that I've owned my GTS, I think I've had first gear not wanna play with me maybe 2 or 3 times. In those situations, I normally put it into 2nd and retry 1st. If it still won't go, I'll put it in neutral, let up the clutch, push the clutch back in, and redo the 2nd gear to 1st gear trick, and it usually stops complaining at that point.

After reading that a trip to the service dept cured the situation for someone else, I'm considering doing the same for my car.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
First gear is the most finiky gear for me as well. It seems to be getting better, but it's still VERY noticeable that 1st and 2nd gears are much more notchier than 3rd, 4th, and 5th... In the week that I've owned my GTS, I think I've had first gear not wanna play with me maybe 2 or 3 times. In those situations, I normally put it into 2nd and retry 1st. If it still won't go, I'll put it in neutral, let up the clutch, push the clutch back in, and redo the 2nd gear to 1st gear trick, and it usually stops complaining at that point.

After reading that a trip to the service dept cured the situation for someone else, I'm considering doing the same for my car.
iv been having this problem as well, when i went bak 2 the dealer saying how notchy my 1st to 2nd was they blamed it on my aftermarket shiftnob, and when i put bak the stock shift nob on it seemed like it was worse then my aftermarket shift nob

so i just kinda got use to it after 8 months of driving it

also i had that happen to me with the trying to put it into 1st gear, but it hasnt done that for a long time for me, like it was like that when i 1st got the car but myb now its stoped doing that, all i do for that is just put it bak into neutral and disengage the clutch and then push the clutch bak in and try and push it bak into 1st, it usually works for me the 2nd time
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

every once in a while 2nd or 3rd will grind on me, with the clutch all the way to the floor, only about once or twice a week so far...it's been having more of a problem feeling really rough going into 1st and 2nd, like it doesn't want to go into gear. anyone else been having that going on?

Quick Reply: 2nd gear grind?