Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Grinding while downshifting to 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding while downshifting to 2nd gear

Hey, when i downshift in from high rpm from 3rd or low rpm from 4th into 2nd gear, while the clutch is fully depressed, it grinds gears. This isn't when I am letting go of the clutch, only when i am moving the shifter into the gear slot. If anyone has this problem please let me know or if anyone has advice. Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

do u mean its jus hard to engage into that gear? i know in mine it might FEEL like its grinding but in reality the synchronizers r jus doin their job...
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the reply, no its a loud grinding sound, it feels like the clutch isnt fully disengaged. I can also feel it on my clutch foot. I have had it happen to me when i am downshifting to turn and people from three lanes away look at me like i just hit the curb or soemthing. It happens when moving between the neutral part of the gears (when the knob is in the middle) through the second gear slot. There is no sound when it enters in completely.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

go to the dealer man, thats f'ed
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:11 PM

yea i think im going to do that, i wanted to know what it was before i take it in so they dont give me some bull**** excuse though
Old Apr 13, 2009, 04:42 AM

I don't have a problem going into second but when I'm at a COMPLETE stop and I go into reverse it will grind ( even when the clutch is all the way down) I'm going to take it in today or tomorrow, Pretty weird for a two week old car
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

lol thats normal to me man..if ya think about it reverse isnt synchro'd which im sur eu know, but it wont always be lined up right with the hub that engages the gear...

*imstig, i dont think u have to worry bout that cuz either way itll be all under warranty, ur 09, and i cant think of nething u could have done to cause it, unless u can?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
imstig-It should grind at all, especially on a brand new car
------------
my reverse gear never grinds when I'm at a COMPLETE stop however it is hard to engage sometimes. The only time it grinds is if the car is moving very slowly .
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:12 AM

thanks for the help, i took it in yesterday morning and they said they havent seen the problem before. I called today to check on it and they still haven't figured it out :/ I guess now its just waiting

blackdiamonds- I asked the dealer about reverse grinding in complete stop, they said they have had that problem before and take it in they will fix it
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:50 PM

Update - I just got back from the dealer and they said your not supposed to be down shifting into a gear higher than 3500 rpm and said they can red tag my vin number and void my warranty for doing that. As the problem happens before you let go of the clutch, the gear isnt engaged. He tried explaining to me that it is always engaged and thats why it is grinding.

Does this make sense, What are your opinions?

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

why downshift when your rpms are so high???? 3500 is the sweet spot on our engines... at least it is on mine
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

...donno, ill downshift from 5th to 4th from like 3500-4k rpm to get up this hill part on the freeway.....the gears are always engaged? whaaa..can someone explain plz
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by imstig
thanks for the help, i took it in yesterday morning and they said they havent seen the problem before. I called today to check on it and they still haven't figured it out :/ I guess now its just waiting

blackdiamonds- I asked the dealer about reverse grinding in complete stop, they said they have had that problem before and take it in they will fix it

I took it in today, the guy drove it like a pro, he said I had to have been moving back wards even the SLIGHTEST bit, idk maybe i'm going crazy..

Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiamonds
I took it in today, the guy drove it like a pro, he said I had to have been moving back wards even the SLIGHTEST bit, idk maybe i'm going crazy..

I dunno, mine does not grind unless i am moving backwards quite a bit, for example if I am backing out of a steep driveway and put it in reverse after i start moving.

Regarding my problem, I am taking it to a different dealer and calling corporate to complain. I have asked a couple mechanics and they said that is a bull**** excuse it shouldnt be doing that no matter what I am doing and the synchros are f'ed. The only thing not covered under warranty are brakes, tires and clutch, but all the internals are covered.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imstig
Update - I just got back from the dealer and they said your not supposed to be down shifting into a gear higher than 3500 rpm and said they can red tag my vin number and void my warranty for doing that. As the problem happens before you let go of the clutch, the gear isnt engaged. He tried explaining to me that it is always engaged and thats why it is grinding.

Does this make sense, What are your opinions?

Thanks
It's just a scare tactic. It's still not supposed to grind. Mine doesn't grind, no matter what the rpms are.

Quick Reply: Grinding while downshifting to 2nd gear