Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Went Out In Parking Lot Today

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went Out In Parking Lot Today

Car stalled out in the parking lot of a Ford dealership today as I was backing up into a parking spot. Tried to put the car in gear afterwards and wouldn't go into any gear. The clutch and transmission fluids are fine and I am getting resistance from the clutch when I press against it, so the pressure plate seems to be fine as well. The only other thing I can think of would be the synchros. What do you guys think?
Old May 3, 2009, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably blew the slave cylinder.
Old May 3, 2009, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

It could be the shift cables I've had mine pop off the transmission before. Does the shifter just flop around easily? There is a rubber bushing, but you can upgrade it.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:47 AM

It seemed like it got stuck in a gear because when I towed it home, I put it in first gear while it was off, started it up and pulled off and shifted through the gears fine from my house and down the street and back. I even drove the car for an hour and it was fine. Then, I stopped at a light and it wouldn't go back into gear while the car was on. So, I turned it off and put it in first again. I can shift quickly through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th from start but after I go for a while and put it into neutral, it won't go back into gear.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

That's wierd? I don't know what it could be.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:33 PM

I will find out tomorrow. I am going to pull the line from the master cylinder to the transmission and find out if it is pumping fluid or not. I am pretty sure this is what is causing my problem. I hope that is what it is. Cheap and simple fix.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ralliboosted
It seemed like it got stuck in a gear because when I towed it home, I put it in first gear while it was off, started it up and pulled off and shifted through the gears fine from my house and down the street and back. I even drove the car for an hour and it was fine. Then, I stopped at a light and it wouldn't go back into gear while the car was on. So, I turned it off and put it in first again. I can shift quickly through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th from start but after I go for a while and put it into neutral, it won't go back into gear.
its the master slave cylinder. if you can perfect shift(which by your story you are doing so)

happend to me, easiest thing to do is to go on the highway to teh place you need to go to get it fixed. its costly too.

it cost about $500 for me.

shift 1 to 2 at 15mph
shift 2 to 3 at 28mph
shift 3 to 4 at 35mph
shift 4 to 5 at 45mph
Old May 11, 2009, 09:06 AM

Yeah, it is going to a shop next week. I really don't feel like messing with it, so I will just fork up the $400 to them.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:07 PM

Just curious are you in a warm or colder climate? And what type of fluid are you running? Somtimes my 02 lancer oz wont shift into gear after sitting in the cold for awhile. I run full synthetic tranny fluid in mine. Maybe not the same deal but if it was your slave cylinder it would not be letting you shift at all if it wasn't working or there was no fluid going to it. Check that your slave cylinder reservoir is not low and check the clutch pedal and shifter cables for looseness.