Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

03 OZ clutch question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 OZ clutch question

So my car is going on 78,000 miles and the clutch seems to be doing fine. When should I replace this darn thing. This is the longest I have ever had a manual car. Info is much appretiated and don't say to replace it when the clutch gives out. I know that answer already and don't feel like getting stranded some place and have to have a tow truck tow my vehicle for a huge price.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:52 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chameleonzero
So my car is going on 78,000 miles and the clutch seems to be doing fine. When should I replace this darn thing. This is the longest I have ever had a manual car. Info is much appretiated and don't say to replace it when the clutch gives out. I know that answer already and don't feel like getting stranded some place and have to have a tow truck tow my vehicle for a huge price.
mine was still good at 100k, but at that time i was going turbo so since i was in there i replaced it.

josh
Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

How often and how hard do you drive your car? I was new to driving a manual when I got my car a year and a half ago (50k miles I've driven it now) and the previous owners had just replaced the clutch when I bought the car.
Well after a year and a half of me going back and forth beating on it, treating her nice, showing off... and well lots of other stupid stuff it's starting to slip so I'm replacing it.

If you are good to the clutch you can probably wait until 100k like JRR.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

I only rough house it every once and a while
Old Oct 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

You can probably make it last until 100k then. Unless you do something to really destroy the clutch you'll feel it start slipping if it's on its way out. Once that happens then you know you need to take it in and have it replaced.

Also and equally if it makes you feel better you could always just replace it now and be set for the next 100k miles. It's up to you and what you feel more comfortable doing really.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

My 02 OZ has 78k on it to and the clutch in it is good shape. I take such good care of it and actually get compliments from my car buddies about how smooth it still is. When my slave cylinder gave out and I had to pull the clutch to fix the slave I was gonna go ahead and do the clutch while I had it out, but I was surprised it was so good I just put it back in. Basically it all depends on how it feels and when it starts going you'll know...hopefully before you get stranded somewhere. Also, sounds like grinding during clutch engagement and release can be signs that its time.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea in stock form these cars don't make enough power to burn up the clutch in short order like some cars seem to do. Driving normally you can expect to get 100k out of it. You'll know when it's starting to go because the engagement will be much higher on the pedal travel. At that point you should replace it before it leaves you stranded. The only way it will fail suddenly and force you to get the car towed, be late for work, etc. is if you really beat on it and overheat the friction material, or overrev the car and make the pressure plate explode. Otherwise if it aint broke.. you know the deal.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:10 PM

i am coming up on 85k of hard driving in stop and go and i get pretty rough on my car and my clutch is still going very strong
Old Dec 2, 2009, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chameleonzero
Your clutch will not grab one second then the next be gone. Only way this will happen is if you lose a line or something. If you get stranded and its because of your clutch disk that means it had been slipping for awhile and you chose to ignore it. Just leave it until you notice it start slipping some then replace it. You can buy one whenever and then just have it ready for when it does start slipping.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:44 AM

Hello,

First Post! I have an 02 OZ and she is starting to break here and there so I found this forum to get some repair tips. Good stuff. Anyway, my OZ has 168,000 miles on the original clutch. Never slips, but it does chatter sometimes (but it has done that since about the 45,000 mile mark). Like everyone has said, it depends on how it is driven. I have driven mine pretty hard and it has held up beautifully. Of course driving it hard doesn't mean you will wear the clutch excessively if you have experience driving manual trans. cars. Thanks in advance to anyone who might help me fix broken stuff on my car!