Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

08 Lancer CVT Acceletation Bog, Any Solution?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010 | 08:00 PM

08 Lancer CVT Acceletation Bog, Any Solution?

I know the fact that the 2008 2.0L CVT Lancer makes a loud noise when the engine is trying to rev beyond 2200rpm. beyond 3k rpm it's just fine and sounds normal. I don't know if it's due to CVT or the fact it's not the 4B12 engine. This CVT is supposed to be "smooth" on rides. Does anyone have any suggestion what to do about it? I am not really looking for more power but i need the engine to run smooth and have a more linear acceleration. I wonder if SRI would help the situation i do not care if it will add loudness as long as it is across all rpms. Any ideas?
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Sprint Booster!!! it will end your problems. Trust me

In a nutshell, the ECU / TCU have a predetermined set of parameters that it tries to stay within. Keeping Fuel Economy at the top of its list. It attempts to deliver power based on Users demands on the pedal.

Sprintbooster will give your tranny the impression in nano second bursts that you want to haulass and give a more appropriate throttle curve. What you will notice is smooth acceleration, but you will find it easier to balance RPMs during acceleration.

Trust me, it might seem step in price, but it will blow your mind when it comes to the CVT

Last edited by evo_soul; Jan 26, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010 | 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Sprint Booster!!! it will end your problems. Trust me

In a nutshell, the ECU / TCU have a predetermined set of parameters that it tries to stay within. Keeping Fuel Economy at the top of its list. It attempts to deliver power based on Users demands on the pedal.

Sprintbooster will give your tranny the impression in nano second bursts that you want to haulass and give a more appropriate throttle curve. What you will notice is smooth acceleration, but you will find it easier to balance RPMs during acceleration.

Trust me, it might seem step in price, but it will blow your mind when it comes to the CVT
If you're a fan of snake oil, this is definitely the product for you. I suggest buying an electric supercharger as well if you're already getting suckered.

Read this

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...does-work.html

If you still want to spend hundreds of dollars to get a box to do what your right foot used to do for free, go for it.
Old Jan 30, 2010 | 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ambystom01
If you're a fan of snake oil, this is definitely the product for you. I suggest buying an electric supercharger as well if you're already getting suckered.

Read this

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...does-work.html

If you still want to spend hundreds of dollars to get a box to do what your right foot used to do for free, go for it.
Amby, I have no problem going toe to toe with you on this debate, but the talking points have been done to death. that said. Since you think its snake oil, its funny how it won best new product of the year at the Sema show http://www.modified.com/news/modp-09...ema/index.html . I dont know... can that many people be believers of this snake oil like product???

I can somewhat understand why you are skeptical, but I use it every day I drive my car, and when i lend my unit out to one of the guys in our local car club. Its brutal driving without it in my car.

If people live close to a retailer, I would tell them to try it for free. but at the end of the day its up to a buyer to figure out what he / she wants to spend money on. For a CVT equipped lancer. I am confident in saying that this would be the first mod I would put on my car. And thats in front of an exhaust and an Intake.
Old Jan 31, 2010 | 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Being declared new product of the year doesn't mean squat. It is still snake oil, their own website indicates this when they fully admit it has no true affect on performance. For 300$ it does what your right foot has been doing for years, for free.
Old Jan 31, 2010 | 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Being declared new product of the year doesn't mean squat. It is still snake oil, their own website indicates this when they fully admit it has no true affect on performance. For 300$ it does what your right foot has been doing for years, for free.
This is a throttle controller, not a Horsepower mod.

I said it before, and will say it again, if you have never driven a CVT, you just would never understand. The manual version is tuned differently and I dont speak from that perspective. But when it comes to the CVT, it just rocks much easier to control the Engine / Transmission RPM level.

Without Sprint Booster its very hard to keep the RPM in the 2500 - 3000 sweet spot. With Daily Driving city and highway, with the sprint booster its very easy to get the accelleration bursts you want without the CVT going nutz (overkill)
Old Jan 31, 2010 | 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

This is a throttle controller, not a Horsepower mod.

I said it before, and will say it again, if you have never driven a CVT, you just would never understand. The manual version is tuned differently and I dont speak from that perspective. But when it comes to the CVT, it just rocks much easier to control the Engine / Transmission RPM level.

Without Sprint Booster its very hard to keep the RPM in the 2500 - 3000 sweet spot. With Daily Driving city and highway, with the sprint booster its very easy to get the accelleration bursts you want without the CVT going nutz (overkill)
And the company that makes it clearly states it has no affect on 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, which draws into question the entire claim that it increases performance in any way. They even go so far as to say it simply makes the car feel faster, with feel in quotations.
This product is nothing more than a signal amplifier. You throw around words like tune but that isn't an effective use of the term and is misleading to people who aren't familiar with the product. It has no affect on the tune, whether it be the ECU or TCU tune, at least no more than could be produced from a stock vehicle. It can't, it doesn't interact directly with either unit. To say that the Sprint Booster can do something that your own foot can't is wrong, it makes the throttle pedal falsely sensitive by making 25% throttle position act like 50%+ throttle position, nothing more. It's the electronic equivalent of tightening the throttle cable, at a steep price. Would you pay someone 300$ to tighten your throttle cable? I wouldn't.
Old Jan 31, 2010 | 03:23 PM

basically man its just sayin this.
your car goes 0-60 in what? 8 seconds?
when you step on the pedal instead of your car taking 2 seconds to decide it wants to run that time it takes the car about a second to decide it wants to run that time. haha
Old Jan 31, 2010 | 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

That would have a direct affect on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, which this product doesn't. Unless it takes you 2 seconds to get your foot to the WOT position, that isn't a reasonable explanation.
Old Jan 31, 2010 | 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

maybe it does for one reason or another, and they dont want claim anything and start arguments like this.

after driving the CVT i can see what evo_soul is talking about. its honestly one of those things you would have to drive to understand. when you step on the pedal sometimes you get different reactions and sometimes the car just dosent feel like pushin no matter how fast you can slam your foot to the ground its not going to respond quickly and you'll have that 1 second or so delay until the car decides to start runnin. ive driven all kind of cars CVT and manual automatic,SST whatever. thats prob the main thing i dont like about this transmission is the terrible lag. i think ill give it a try sometime soon. with a 30 day guarantee we'll see what happens
Old Jan 31, 2010 | 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
maybe it does for one reason or another, and they dont want claim anything and start arguments like this.

after driving the CVT i can see what evo_soul is talking about. its honestly one of those things you would have to drive to understand. when you step on the pedal sometimes you get different reactions and sometimes the car just dosent feel like pushin no matter how fast you can slam your foot to the ground its not going to respond quickly and you'll have that 1 second or so delay until the car decides to start runnin. ive driven all kind of cars CVT and manual automatic,SST whatever. thats prob the main thing i dont like about this transmission is the terrible lag. i think ill give it a try sometime soon. with a 30 day guarantee we'll see what happens
If the product made the car faster, they'd put that right on the box. There's no way a manufacturer in the car industry would leave out any performance increases.
Again, this product is just a signal amplifier, nothing more.
Old Jan 31, 2010 | 10:36 PM
Former Sponsor

If the product made the car faster, they'd put that right on the box. There's no way a manufacturer in the car industry would leave out any performance increases.
Again, this product is just a signal amplifier, nothing more.
with more power on tap (immediately) the driver is likely to drive in a more aggressive manner. Equals = less fuel economy if the person does not adapt their driving style.

Its not about power, but control. Control of the throttle is liberating when it comes to the CVT.
Old Feb 1, 2010 | 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

with more power on tap (immediately) the driver is likely to drive in a more aggressive manner. Equals = less fuel economy if the person does not adapt their driving style.

Its not about power, but control. Control of the throttle is liberating when it comes to the CVT.
The same power is available stock, it merely requires you to move your foot slightly further. This is a 300$ signal amplifier, nothing more.
Old Feb 1, 2010 | 09:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

this topic has been beaten to death... no more.