Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

What kind of lube comes with the B&M short shifter?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks lancero-z. i'll let you know what i can find tomorrow.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Hey sorry I dont read all the threads I could have answered a long time ago, I used fishing reel grease otherwise known as Silicone. It works wonderfully on the plastic/metal in a fishing reel and it feels the same as the grease that was on the original shifter.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 08:41 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Describe the sticking. My Camaro had a problem with the stick sticking, but it would stick by not going into gears. Come to think about it, I never did find out what it was, but an aftermarket shifter didn't make any difference.

As for the grease, there is this bicycle lube I have that seems very similar in color, texture and thickness to what came with the S&M shifter. Unfortunately, I never paid any attention to the name on the shifter kit, but if you can't find that lubriplate stuff, let me know and I'll check what kind of bike lubricant it was.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

dude something has to be up with your lithium grease because it is a fairly thin and smooth grease. Typically about the consistency of bacon grease that has congealed. There are different grades of it though. The stuff I have looks like whipped butter, and when it gets warm it actually flows on it's own.

If your shifter is sticking it doesn't have anything to do with your lube. What you are feeling is the fact that a short shifter requires more force to do all the same things you use to do. So any "sticking" that was present before is now about twice as strong as it was before. That's the downside of a short shifter. I'd see if you can get the dealer to look at your tranny... I don't know how they feel about short shifters though... so I'd check into that first.

Later.

Steve
Old Nov 6, 2003, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

You say it was sticking before you changed it huh, just like sdhotwn said it will definately be amplified. you should put the stock one back and tell the dealer to give it a look. it could be your linkage. I have a slight stick coming out of first but I have gotten used to it.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

thanks again for all the input.

after breaking it all apart, the bottom of the 2 plastic cups doesn't slide easily. i'm gonna try and get a replacement from the dealer and see if that helps.