Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Manual tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well heres an update on the repair progress...after the car has been garaged for nearly 2 months...Mitusbishi is actually thinkin bout fixin it now under warranty...basically i called the corporate offices and told them on how the service guy at the dealership was bein a punk because of my car lookin like it does...(body kit, lowered, intake, exhaust, wing, taillights, c/f hood...more)...the corporate office said that the car bein lowered DOES NOT void the tranny warranty and that they should fix it....so they had some district supervisor come down and all I'm waitin on is his ok...sorry for the long post but im glad to get this news so that my car can get outta my body shop and into the paint shop...ill keep yall posted on progress on the custom body work and tranny work...
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:30 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rhyzin, did you ever get pics of the drain plug and filler cap? I might be changing my trans fluid soon, and just thought it would help for peace of mind.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I got those to him a little while ago.... I have them at home if you need them... Let me know... Any thoughts on your fluid brand yet?? Mine is still like a hot knife through butter.... I can't believe what a difference $30 made...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:07 PM
EvoM Guru

pic is on page 2 somewhere in the middle.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 06:52 PM

Lancerboy not sure if they got them out there...but give a call to somethin like the better business buereau(sp)... don't let them ****s screw ya wit some bs... any who, to make this relevant... Redline Tranny Oil workin nicely...
Old Jan 20, 2004, 04:04 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

so it's 2.2 quarts, right? I'm going to see if Pep Boys or Kragan carry the Redline oil. If not, does anyone have any other suggestions? Preferably something more reliable than ebay. I need to do this before school starts in Feb.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Seriously doubt you're gonna find it at a local auto parts store.... You could try redline's online retail location, or you could do like I did for my dad, and go on Ebay, find Red Line products, and you'll see a vendor selling a bunch of different products from Red Line. I emailed him, and he gave me his phone number, and when I called I found out he was a shop in the midwest... He gave me four quarts of MT90 (what the lancer needs) for $30 shipped and believe it or not, my dad got it the next day..... Anyway, hope this helps, James
Old Jan 20, 2004, 08:20 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

so I need 4 quarts?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

OOPS!!! My mistake, you'll need three quarts.... sorry about that, and good catch.... I had half a quart left over at the end..... I have never shifted a smoother tranny than the one in my Lancer OZ..... believe it or not.....
Old Jan 21, 2004, 03:34 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by thedeatons
OOPS!!! My mistake, you'll need three quarts.... sorry about that, and good catch.... I had half a quart left over at the end..... I have never shifted a smoother tranny than the one in my Lancer OZ..... believe it or not.....
Thanks. That's why I'm going to use the Redline oil for this one. At about 25k miles, my syncro (I think) started making a whine when downshifting to 2nd, which I do when on a track or canyons. So this should help clear that up.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

I was under my car tonight I did not see the drain plug or the filler plug. It is a 5 speed. I just looked at the pictures and that didnt help too much. Anyway I will head back to my buddys house and get under the car again in a few weeks and see what I find, it was a little late so I was not paying too much attention. Anyone out there recomend Amsoil 75-90 for the tranny. I have heard good things about that stuff. One last thing does the drain plug have a magnet on it to catch particles, If it does was there much wear particles stuck to the plug.
Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:44 PM
EvoM Guru

don't think it's magnetic. my oil was dirty though cuz i changed it at 60k instead of 30k. the filler plug is on the front of the car and is the only bolt there. the drain plug is a big flat hex bolt by the driver side axle.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

cool I saw the drain plug but i didnt see the filler I will look again. That seems odd that it isnt magnetic. Have you heard about the amsoil. They make a pretty bold claim about an increase in gas mileage somthing like 4% so that would be cool. I dont want to use it and there be no change in the tranny at all, shifting or mileage. I hear synthetic is the way to go. Way expensive stuff, I checked the price its about ten bucks a quart.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 06:20 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

That was a piece of cake, and the spark plugs too! Rhyzin, any suggestions on changing brake fluid, steering fluid, and the fuel filter? Do I need to change these (my father said brake fluid doesn't need to be changed very often)?

btw Rhyzin, you are awesome! I printed that little diagram and held it up to the engine, and was positive where the plugs were at that point. Mark should ask you to write some how-to articles in the features section.

Last edited by urbanknight; Jan 27, 2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:06 PM
EvoM Guru

thanks! haven't done the other fluids on the lancer yet. i've changed the brake fluid on other cars before, but not the lancer. the manual shows that cars with no abs will have to bleed the front two brake lines twice. time consuming, but not difficult.

its a bit odd that no one can find a canister type fuel filter on the lancer (or at least i haven't read yet). couldn't find it in the service manual so the only real filter that's left is a small tea bag looking filter thats on the fuel pump itself. you can check the GSX fuel pump swap in the how to section on how to get to it, though i don't think it would need changing anytime soon? it's not under "severe maintenace schedule" in the owner's manual.

and i've never replaced steering fluid before. that's gonna be a new one for me. Overall, i don't think you would have to change any of these fluids anytime soon unless there's some sort of discoloration or milkiness to them, or a decrease in performance. on my old car, i went through maybe a set of brake pads a year. that's when i would change my brake fluid. maybe check your clutch fluid after 60k, though i'd doubt it would need changing either.

Quick Reply: Manual tranny fluid