Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Manual tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2004, 06:00 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job, Peejay stickied it for you. Also, thanks for quoting the people who made the information available, very noble and honest of you!
Old Apr 10, 2004, 07:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I have to quote them. I don't want people PMing me thinking that I know anything about trannies. I can point to my tranny and say "that's it", and that's about all of my knowledge.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 07:18 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it seem to matter? With the majority of my posts being about suspension, and a profile that clearly shows that I have no audio or show upgrades, half of my PMs have questions about installing/painting an Evo7 wing/body kit and what subs and amps to get
Old May 8, 2004, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured I'd add my 2 cents here. I just replaced my tranny fluid with the Mobil 1 Synth - I've got a stickshift, so it was realy easy. Seriously, it makes an oil change look complicated. A few notes I did have are these.

I didn't have the proper size socket for the drain pipe, so I used vice grips - I'd suggest getting the proper size socket to others, so you don't score up the soft head of that plug, but the vice grips did work. Once draining, the oil gurgled out a lot and I probably should have opened the filler plug to let air flow more easily and make less of a mess.

I had trouble reaching the filler plug at first with my funnel, but found that the stock cold-air intake is very easy to move out of the way. It just pulls out of the air box and only has two pins to hold it to the front frame of the car (or in my case, none). Once you move that out of the way, anything will fit there. And I ended up tossing my funel when I was done, because the tip on it was just about the exact same width of the filler hole and so wouldn't fit inside it. A razor made for a leaky connection that functioned, albeit leaking roughly half a quart of new oil on the way in.

Other than that, it was really an easy job and so far, I can already feel smoother shifting after less than 10 miles. From what I gather here from comments, it'll still smooth up even more, so I'm looking forward to driving a couple hundred miles tomorrow for Mother's Day.
-N
Old May 10, 2004, 03:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Doing mine tomorrow (hopefully). I'll post up how it goes.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not too bad. Drain plug was TIGHT. Lots of blooping and therefore splashing. Hard to get to the fill hole, but otherwise, I've had harder tasks.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 03:02 PM

i just changed mine out to ROYAL PURPLE 75-90W Major imporvment, much smoother, main difference is fourth and reverse use to be hard to get into, but now they slip in much better, i recommend to everyone, cost me 15 bucks a quart but i dont have to change it for like 60 thousand is what they said but we all know that i will change it sooner than that, mistu says change engine oil every 7500 LOL yeah right, lata peeps
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

I just got off the phone with Red Line and they recommended the following for the manual tranny: 1 Qt. of Mt-90, and fill the rest with MTL. I find it odd that people are using straight MTL because it's a 70W80 gear oil, and not the recommended 75W-90 gear oil like some have stated initially in this thread. For those that do have the straight MTL, how is the tranny and shifting doing? Any negative effects that you can see? I might just blend it like Red Line mentioned.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

I also spoke with Red Line over the phone, and my local dealer (Red Line Distributor) and they both recommended straight MT90. I used it with great success. I now have over 30k miles on that fluid (my '02 has 78k miles total!!) and I still notice the improvement. I changed to the Red Line fluid after installing the Ebay short shifter, because the shifter felt so notchy, and after about 2-300 miles I noticed the difference. Like butter! I still have no problem with the car. Hope this helps. By the way, I ordered my father some Red Line tranny fluid from a midwestern shop on Ebay, and it was $30 shipped for 3 qts... James
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:52 PM

I used to own a Honda and read that Red Line fluid eats up your syncros. I am guessing it will do the same for a Mitsubishi. Therefor I will not put red line in my car. I just canged it the other day with only 17,000 on it and was glad that I did it. Normal internals are every 30,000...granted that I drive my car hard it needed to be done alot earlier. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w90. You will need about 2.7 quarts so just buy 3. Mobil runs about the same price as Red Line. I paid $35 for 4 quarts. I would recommend you use Mobil and not Red Line. It works good and it shifts alot better.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

No offense intended... but I think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.... Red Line is a top name oil brand, with major sponsorship in many aspects of racing... I have personally used Red Line without fail for over six years and have never had any problems.... I have had Red Line in my 02 Lancer for the last 40k miles (in the manual tranny) and after extensive high rpm runs up the SoCal mountains at or near redline (4-5k RPMs) my engine and tranny still feel brand new. Never believe what you "hear" about things... look at the proven tests given by numerous magazines and internet sources. There are many oil analysis forums that recommend only Red Line as a manual transmission gear oil, after extensive analysis tests of used oils.

On another note, I contacted Red Line again today, and they stated that the recommendation of blending one quart of MT90 with the other 1.3 quarts of MTL is to reduce the viscocity of the 90 weight gear oil to an 85 weight, as the manual states to use. You can use the MT90 with no adverse affects, but for smoother shifts, they recommend blending. I will try out this combination very soon, when I replace my Red Line gear oil with MORE RED LINE GEAR OIL!!!! James
Old Aug 19, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

This Honda guy seemed to like the results.....

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...;f=16;t=001199
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Bringing this back from the dead.

So, I'll be doing a full overhaul when I install my turbo (I figure it's a good time to do it) which will include tranny fluid. From a auto parts store online I found Redline Gear Oil in 75w90, and Redline Tranny Lube MT90 or MTL.

What's the difference between tranny lube and gear oil?
How much does the manual tranny hold (I've seen 2.7 and 2.3 in this thread)?
How likely is it to spill the tranny fluid when putting it in?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You will spill. Trust me. Between filling and spilling, I'd say it's somwhere around 2.5 that you'll use, so get 3 qts.

Other people gotta help on your other question, as I don't really know.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

They are the same thing, gear oil and tranny fluid, in this case anyway. For autos they are not. Redline's gear oil is also for use in rear ends/differentials. If you use what we mentioned above in the post, then you will be fine. The postings about the mixture and the types are straight from a Red Line engineer, talked to over the phone.

You will hold 2.3-2.5, but you should pour slowly into the funnel, and watch as it runs down through the clear tubing used from the funnel to the tranny inlet... If you go slowly, and have a drip pan underneath you, then you should only loose a tiny bit.

Good luck!!! James

Quick Reply: Manual tranny fluid