Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Manual tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004 | 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Bam. And that's why I love this forum. Thanks guys.
Old Sep 15, 2004 | 04:33 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

I didn't spill a drop of tranny oil when I filled it. Just make sure the tube is firmly in place and hold the funnel carefully.
Old Oct 5, 2004 | 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Auto

[question moved to its own thread "Automatic Transmission Fluid Change"]. Thanks

Last edited by Kelspar; Oct 5, 2004 at 10:20 AM. Reason: New Thread Created
Old Oct 25, 2004 | 07:43 AM

I changed my tranny fluid about 5,000 ago and now in Wisconsin it is starting to get alot colder in the mornings. When it is cold out and my car isn't warmed up yet 2nd gear is giving me problems. It is be a pain in the *** to get in 2nd and it may kick back or grind...but when it warms up then everything is perfectly smooth. Does this sound like the tranny fluid needs to be changed again? I used Mobile 1 synthetic 75w90.
Old Oct 25, 2004 | 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03OZLancer
I changed my tranny fluid about 5,000 ago and now in Wisconsin it is starting to get alot colder in the mornings. When it is cold out and my car isn't warmed up yet 2nd gear is giving me problems. It is be a pain in the *** to get in 2nd and it may kick back or grind...but when it warms up then everything is perfectly smooth. Does this sound like the tranny fluid needs to be changed again? I used Mobile 1 synthetic 75w90.
I have had that problem on colder mornings since I got my Lancer and it's just starting again this year. Over the summer, I did replace my tranny fluid with Mobil 1 synth and I don't feel a difference with it, in this respect anyway. I generally find when I can't get into the low gears (1,2,R), that double-clutching makes things smoother - I guess the synchros just don't like the cold.
-N
Old Oct 25, 2004 | 03:37 PM

Double clutching into 2nd...okay thats easy...LMAO explain how you double clutch into 1st and Revers???lol you gotta like push it and then jump in then pop it into gear and tap the gas then release the clutch...ahahahahahaha. I don't have problems with 1st or revers though...just 2nd. I will have to give that a try.
Old Oct 25, 2004 | 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03OZLancer
Double clutching into 2nd...okay thats easy...LMAO explain how you double clutch into 1st and Revers???lol you gotta like push it and then jump in then pop it into gear and tap the gas then release the clutch...ahahahahahaha. I don't have problems with 1st or revers though...just 2nd. I will have to give that a try.
For 1st and reverse, you go into neutral, bump the gas, clutch in, and shift in... it's the same as double-clutching any other gear really...
-N
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

What actually is Red Line MTL? I found Red Line MT90 on http://www.optauto.com/ but I can't find thi MTL stuff.
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
What actually is Red Line MTL? I found Red Line MT90 on http://www.optauto.com/ but I can't find thi MTL stuff.
I've got the plain answer to your question: Canada. You won't find any RedLine Trans Fluid unless you go to a speciality shop, like a tuner shop. Redline Tanny lub is concidered a Dangerous good when it comes to importing it, so many store don't take the time to fill out the paperwork to import. Most Tuner Shop should carry it though. Don't expect to find it a Canadian Tire.

Edit: I think I missed the whole point of your question here
MTL means Manual Tranny Lube (I think )

Last edited by blaze_125; Nov 27, 2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Guys,

If you need any technical information about these products, I'd suggest hopping on Red Line's website, www.redlineoil.com. Their engineers that answer the technical support line are always willing to explain what you need and why. Each product has an explanation as to what it does, but some need further explanation. I would suggest taking their advice only, as I have run into some local retailers that give differing opinions on which Red Line product to use, but there is no way I'm gonna trust Joe Shmoe over the guy mixing the juice at Red Line. Ebay.com should be able to help you out as far as ordering products, and most of the guys on there will mix and match the products you need. I managed to get my father 3 qts for $40 shipped. Hope this helps... James
Old Nov 28, 2004 | 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
I've got the plain answer to your question: Canada. You won't find any RedLine Trans Fluid unless you go to a speciality shop, like a tuner shop. Redline Tanny lub is concidered a Dangerous good when it comes to importing it, so many store don't take the time to fill out the paperwork to import. Most Tuner Shop should carry it though. Don't expect to find it a Canadian Tire.

Edit: I think I missed the whole point of your question here
MTL means Manual Tranny Lube (I think )
If its a dangerous good, does that mean I can't order it online?
Old Nov 28, 2004 | 09:12 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

It's available online, and I'm pretty sure Optauto carries the right kind, I ordered it from them earlier this year. You just have to be creative (their search engine isn't very good). And what Blaze missed is that Optauto is in California, so it should be on their website.
Old Nov 28, 2004 | 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah seems I'm probably gonna have to go through the dealership to get it, not sure if Canada Post will kind the whole dangerous goods thing.
Old Nov 29, 2004 | 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
If its a dangerous good, does that mean I can't order it online?
You can, but who knows if you'll ever get it. Border clerks might not allow it, or you'll have to pay more for Dangerous Goods Shipping. Look up the UPS webiste and find more about it
Old Feb 28, 2005 | 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'm on the redlineoil.com webpage. I'm raising this thread up from the dead because I was going to change my tranny fluid soon. Which one to get...the MT-90 or the 75W90?

Quick Reply: Manual tranny fluid