Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Manual tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey buddy...

I would check out the posts either that I wrote previously or that a few others wrote regarding the mixture. This was recommended by a Red Line engineer to me over the phone when I called Red Line.... That should lead you in the right direction... James
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

i got an 03 es...and seems like everyone on the boards is using 75W90...I'm gonna go with that! thanks a bunch :thumbup
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

No dude... try this instead... as I mentioned, I spoke to Red Line, and this is what they recommended... On another note, I spoke with them after filling my car with straight MT90... It's been on that for over 40k miles with no problems, but the next fill I will follow their mixing idea....

Here is the post I entered earlier...

"On another note, I contacted Red Line again today, and they stated that the recommendation of blending one quart of MT90 with the other 1.3 quarts of MTL is to reduce the viscocity of the 90 weight gear oil to an 85 weight, as the manual states to use. You can use the MT90 with no adverse affects, but for smoother shifts, they recommend blending. I will try out this combination very soon, when I replace my Red Line gear oil with MORE RED LINE GEAR OIL!!!! James"
Old Feb 28, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

ok so first off....is 2.3 quarts the recommended amount to fill?

And second...should I still contact Redline about the 1 quart MT90 + 1.3 quarts MTL combo? Or that's pretty much what I should use?

Lastly, after replacing your tranny fluid, what were the benefits, changes,etc.?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, ~2.3 quarts... you'll need 3 bottles basically...

I don't see any need to contact them, you and I have the same car (mine is OZ but same engine/tranny) and Red Line has not come up with anything new... The local dumb-dumbs at the auto parts stores may suggest something different, but I am going to listen to the engineers that design and test the stuff...

Heat up a steak knife over an open flame for about half an hour, then poke it into a bowl of butter... now manuever the knife through the butter as if it were the shifter of your Lancer... that's how mine STILL feels after over 40k miles on the fluid... You won't notice that result for a hundred miles or so, but when you do it will be unmistakable... It's awesome. My father is now running the same setup in his car, and loves it.... You'll never go back... James
Old Feb 28, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Nice analogy James So basically w/ the Redline it shifts like Butta !

It's gonna be freakin sweet. Cuz I'm gonna be replacing my tranny fluid along with my base shifter bushings ! I'm stoked!
Old Feb 28, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

I actually skipped the bushings because I didn't want the notchy uerethane (sp?) feel... I did swap the shifter out for the $30 group buy one though... best $30 mod I've ever done...
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thedeatons
I actually skipped the bushings because I didn't want the notchy uerethane (sp?) feel... I did swap the shifter out for the $30 group buy one though... best $30 mod I've ever done...
well i'm doing everything I can to make my shifts better. I'm always grinding and misshifting...maybe my driver skills should be improved as well, hehe.

But yea...we were in that same GB. Longest GB i was ever in, hehe.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have to let the filler plug drip until there's no more drip and then you screw back the filler plug?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Yep... just like oil... you can even lean on the front of the car if you want to get the last little bit out... overall though it should be fine if there is a bit left in there, just like oil... You're not doing a complete flush...
Old Apr 3, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I placed 3 bottles (1 MT-90 and 2 MTL) on the transmission and I let it drip for a little bit and I closed it. I didn't wait until there's no more drip, is that bad?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

call me a NooB i don't care...

where da fawk is that shiet? I was under the car and I couldn't find it. Well maybe I found the drain plug. Is the drain plug a rubber hexagon? Also...the filler plug, I'm not too sure where that is. I wish someone took a digicam pic. Someone please help me...also do i need to lift up my car to do this?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:00 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That pic helped me, but only after I printed it out and crawled under the car with it. crawl under so that your feet are sticking out of the front of the car. Looking up, the drain plug faces the left side of the car, and the filler faces the front.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

my chest don't clear the bottom front of my bumper. Maybe if it was still stock I'd be able to do it or if i worked out a lil more i'd be able to slide under . I don't have a printer so i just drew it to the best of my ability. I'm gonna try again this morning/afternoon. Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

If I remember right I crawled in from the side, behind the front wheel.... It's further back than you think, which took me a while to figure out also... Try some ramps bro, or a jack...

Quick Reply: Manual tranny fluid