Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Manual tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 02:16 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pick_a_Fro
my chest don't clear the bottom front of my bumper. Maybe if it was still stock I'd be able to do it or if i worked out a lil more i'd be able to slide under . I don't have a printer so i just drew it to the best of my ability. I'm gonna try again this morning/afternoon. Thanks for the help.
Yeah I wouldn't fit while the car is on the ground either. I always do my oil changes on fairly short jack stands, and this operation would have to be done the same way. No wonder you couldn't find it
Old Apr 15, 2005, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, obviously make sure it's evenly elevated for draining and refilling... just a thought...
Old May 4, 2005, 07:00 AM

Hello, I have been reading your posts and I experience many of the same problems, grinding (esp in 2nd when it is cold, sometimes not even going into second) and everytime I took it to the dealer they told me that nothing is wrong, MY ***! The mitsu dealers are rip off artists, my parents and neighbors used to have Galants and whenever anything went wrong (which happened a LOT) those idiots never wanted to fix it under warranty, I should have known better before buying this Lancer... Anyway, I am going to change my fluid also and came here for some advice. I noticed that many of you are talking about adding Mobil synthetic, but that is a GL-5 oil, the lancer needs GL-4, you will probably have some problems with it...
Old May 4, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pick_a_Fro
call me a NooB i don't care...

where da fawk is that shiet? I was under the car and I couldn't find it. Well maybe I found the drain plug. Is the drain plug a rubber hexagon? Also...the filler plug, I'm not too sure where that is. I wish someone took a digicam pic. Someone please help me...also do i need to lift up my car to do this?

http://www.mitsubishicarclubcanada.c...opic.php?t=656
Old May 4, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Actually most of the thread has concerned the Red Line brand of oil... I personally have had no experience with Mobil's Gear Oil, but their Mobil 1 Engine oil is spectacular, with 10k miles between oil changes it works great!
Old May 4, 2005, 07:52 AM

I called up Mobil last year and asked their tech line if using sythetic oil means that you can go longer without oil changes and they said "absolutely not", that you must go by the manufacturer's recommended interval.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

any Automatic guys make any successful attemts at this yet??
Old Jun 3, 2005, 01:28 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

If I recall correctly, changing fluid on an auto is a pain, so unless you have a machine to flush the fluid you're better off just getting it done at a service place. I already ran a search for you, but only found discussions on where to get the fluid and how much to pay for the service. Even reputable vendors were recommending against trying to do this yourself. I'm sure it can be done, just haven't seen anyone do it yet.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Forgive me if this is already answered in this thread but does mitsu ever change the gear oil during their services or is this something that you have to request extra?

I'm at 66K plus and don't think my gear oil has ever been changed unless they do it automatically.

WADAD
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure about the tranny fluid being changed but I would say no. Their is usually an extra charge in that. Call and find out and if it hasent change asap......every 30,000
Old Jun 8, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Manual tranny fluid-dsc02671.jpg  
Old Jun 30, 2005, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

finally a useful thread. i got tired of seeing how much people pay a month on their evo and what color they like.

still one thing im not sure of. i bought redline synthetic 75w90 and its GL5. someone said to use GL4... I already bought it, but id rather not use it if itll screw stuff up.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

not sure if i can help you or what the difference is... anyone?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

ok i searched (my manual) and it says to only use GL4. I also looked around the internet instead of working cause work is boring and i found at that GL5 has sulfer additives that will eat away at the syncros.

what i bought was Redline 75w90 Synthetic GL5 and im gonna go return it and look for a gl4 fluid. I keep hearing that BG syncroshift is the best so ill go look for some of that.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Hello "imapunkclaimer"... Just wanted to welcome you to the discussion... No offense, put you mentioned that the thread was very useful, but didn't seem to read it.... We've mentioned from the getgo EXACTLY which gear oil to use from Redline, received from the engineers themselves over the phone.... I confirmed this a second time with the engineers. I still have this gear oil recommendation in my car, after 60,000 and it's still butter. I installed the gear oil at ~45k miles, and now I have over 100,000 miles on the car, and the cheapy short shifter and Redline combination still gives me the best shifts I've felt this side of a Suzuki motorcycle.... I just want to implore everyone not to reinvent the wheel here... This stuff is great, so why restart the what to use topic? Thanks, and once again, welcome... James

Quick Reply: Manual tranny fluid