Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Bolt on evo 8 rear kit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bolt on evo 8 rear kit

I am curious as to how many lancer owners would pay for a bolt on evo 8 rear suspension/drivetrain kit that would require cutting drilling as well as installation of evo 8 rear quarter panels and painting but let you use every stock evo 8 rear part . It may be worth just purchasing an evo to some but would possibly like to see how many people it might be worth it to.

Last edited by 3grst01; Apr 2, 2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The amount of money u would spend on this would seriously be pointless. I doubt you will find many lancer owners would would/could put up the cash for something like this
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:21 PM

Well you contradict yourself by saying drivetrain since I don't think the evo 8 rear diff would just "bolt" up to the rear axle on a lancer

That being said you could source out some parts such as evo tails, rear bumper, wing and go to a wreckers for some rear quarter panels but mind you that you will also need to replace the doors too!

Best bet is to get an evo 9 rear bumper from accolade if you want that look

so no i wouldn't pay for it!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

maybe the suspension/drivetrain but i wouldnt want to have to do a bunch of body work and swap doors and paint and cut out quarter panels and all that.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I should have specified having to get the rear evo 8 quarters installed by a body shop. I was talking more or less custom rear subframe that would bolt in place of your existing rear subframe you would need to drill the welds out of along with custom upper rear shock mounts that all would " bolt " on.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:24 PM

I dunno man as much as I'd love a car that looks like an evo, I wouldn't be able to afford it. I mean people go the lancer/evo body kit route because they are young and can't yet afford an evo and to them that is cool and looks just as good. I'm all for that because I'm happy to see people modding the way they want to mod, not based on what others say, but I mean in this case: an entire rear subframe? If it was cost effective maybe? I mean I'm 100% for the evo look but lets be honest, if you want to do this your looking at maybe 2 grand at least for the labor and about another 2-4 grand for the rear subframe and around another 2 grand for the re paint a grand if you go to a dodgy place. So giving you the benefit of the doubt thats 6 grand to have a look of a potential 8 grand that might actually be spent.

I'd love the look, but finances wouldn't permit it as it is so much money for so little gain. I'd rather save it for another mod or for a future evo!

JMO tho!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

^ true. I was just thinking the benefit from offering a kit is you would be able to gather parts at your own rate of choice with no auto loan and or paying 14000 for a evo 8 while keeping Your car.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by 3grst01
^ true. I was just thinking the benefit from offering a kit is you would be able to gather parts at your own rate of choice with no auto loan and or paying 14000 for a evo 8 while keeping Your car.

But as you said your swapping the rear subframe so i would assume your car would be on jacks for a while.

I like the idea of building an "evolutionized" lancer but I'm not sure if it's practical.

If this is what your upto then I'll 100% support you since I think this is awesome and would love to see pics!

But something like this wouldn't work for me. If I had a lancer it would be a daily due to gas milage and reliability and taking it out of service doesn't give me the freedom of driving. If i bought a civic or a tercel until the build was done it would cost me 2-3k which is easily higher then the amount of interest I would need to pay if I got a loan from the bank.

I'd much rather buy an evo shell from somebody who's parting it out and slowly build up my evo as I went along at my own pace as my finances permit! You get two cars, a daily and an evo and you go at your own pace financially and physically!

Last edited by jmacman12; Apr 8, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

I'm personally going to be doing a ww lancer es with evo body front suspension 6 speed ( shep geared ) gtx 3582r possibly . Going to be dd it as lancer drivetrain then slowly swapping over body parts over the weekend then schedule an appointment for the installment of my rear quarters on a friday evening with a bodyshop open on weekends, drive for a week or two with white spray paint on rear quarters, same deal for scheduling for paint except that may not be able to get completed over the period of a weekend but I'm not a body shop guy so I have no idea ? Then once again over a weekend once rear end parts are ready install them ( say you have a kit .. ) and drive like that ( fwd trans awd rear ) then comes the front suspension / engine and trans install which depending on how ready your parts are how good you are may need to take a day off work or rent car for a week if starting on a friday once again. I am still undecided on which route i would like to go with the rear ( debating on evo 8 to make kit or not ). So far i might be going with 2g rear diff and outlander awd rear trailing arms in possibly like 6-7 months with custom axles if the 2g axles don't fit the outlander rear trailing arms. Have access to actual bender and welder and figured while I had the rear out I could get a evo 8 rear subframe control arms and springs to make a kit to bring to the lancer community that bolts on if there would be more than sufficient demand and just use that set up. Still debating which direction I'd possibly like to go with it though. Evo 8 and make kit or outlander and say screw the kit cus it's possibly way easier to get my actual swap completed.

Last edited by 3grst01; Apr 8, 2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

On a side note, the swap kit would most likely be sold for around like possibly 650 shipped within the usa un-painted for inspection.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

dude, nobody's gonna buy a "kit" like that. An overhaul like this is never as quick, simple, or cheap as you'd like to make it sound. It's in no way a weekend job
Old Apr 8, 2011, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for speaking on behalf of everyone. I am sure you had everyones different situations in mind when commenting . as for weekend job, I am stating how I plan to " try " to tackle my own project. How you may like to go about yours is not what I intend to predict or speak on behalf of .I apologise If I may have some how confused your great sounding intellect.

Last edited by 3grst01; Apr 8, 2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 01:49 PM

People might buy a kit like that but in general I would have to agree that most people wouldn't. There would probably be a lot of interest as the concept is awesome but the bite in relation to the interest, it doesn't look like it would be proportional.

The people who want an evo looking lancer spend money on body kits and usually get somebody else to do them, and if you look at the demographics they are usually younger guys with not much experience.

That being said a job like this with the rear sub frame "kit" that you speak of, is a big job and I'm not sure if most people would have the competency and/or skills to do. For 650, I'd agree it's a bargain and now I'd have to question the credibility of the kit that your getting or are you sourcing parts out?

I'd like to see some pictures in the future and the process that your going through as I don't think its a weekend thing either. Just so I can see it for myself and understand a little more what exactly your doing. It does sound like fun and the result sounds promising but again I'd have to see.

Still, I'd love an rear ended evo on a lancer
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Turbotime is attempting a similar swap. I'd recommend reading through his thread and seeing his accomplishments/challenges before getting in over your head. It's an epic idea and more power to you if you can complete it, but it's not going to be cheap and it's not something you're gonna be able to do over the course of a couple weekends. I know your idea is simpler than Turbotime's complete overhaul but he's been at it for 2 years!

Last edited by WangMan; Apr 19, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. I read through each page before coming up with this idea as well as a build someone else was doing that got stolen. Although he was just going to keep the lancer rear and use outlander trailing arms . I believe jmacman12 might have a good point as far as the type of market I would be trying to sell to. I think I have made up my mind possibly though and will be going the way of a custom bolt on kit set up just for my own personal use and then see how many people might be interested in it once the product is tested and finalised. if all else fails I will just wind up with an evo 8 rear in my lancer . What I would like to find is someone who can hook me up with real world stock evo 8 rear suspension specs actually measured from their stock evo with factory parts for example caster camber at suspension fully drooped as well as at ride height and fully compressed measured with an actual tape measurer or do it yourself alignment tool which I will be purchasing as well.

Quick Reply: Bolt on evo 8 rear kit