Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

fidanza flywheel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch and pressure plate will only change how your drivetrain handles transferring power from the flywheel to the clutch (and therefore drivetrain). It will not have any noticable effect ohterwise unless the clutch component weighs significantly less than stock...which I doubt because mine was quite light and my 4 puck (which I'm willing to bet is lighter than RRM's clutch because of its reduced size and surface area) weighed about the same. Anyway, basically just pointing out an apples and oranges comment, and giving a friendly reminder that there's really no need to replace your clutch and could better use the money elsewhere unless 1. you're putting out serious horsepower (supercharged or turbocharged) or 2. prematurely wore/fried your existing clutch.

On the original topic, Fidanza is a big, well-recognized name. At the time I bought my clutch unfortunately they had nothing for the Lancer, and I'm not going to open my tranny or pay someone to open it again unless I absolutely have to. The labor is time consuming, tedious and expensive especially if you don't have a lift where you can work comfortably underneath the car.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:39 PM

Location: Mountains somewhere east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon line.
Fidanza lightweight flywheels are considered among the best.

A light flywheel is great for a road racing vehicle, easy on transaxle and other drive train components. Not good in a drag car due to lack of launch inertia which a heavier flywheel will provide.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

When you say launch inertia I'm assuming you mean (for example) you're revving the car to a beefy 6k. You drop the clutch and as the clutch face engages the lightened flywheel it will balk more than a heavier flywheel because it has less effective rotational mass due to its lighter weight. ....Prolly didn't use the right terms there, but I think I made myself clear.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

^Can you learn me some fancy talk like that?
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's a lot simpler than I made it sound. Basically what I believe he was saying is that going with too light of a flywheel can adversely effect your launch.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys. this is alot more worry than i'm looking for that's for sure. but thanks again for all the help.