Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Replacing Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright! Transmission is off the car finally thank god! I want to dose the trans and driver engine mount in gasolin9e and set them on fire will this effect their integrity? (just kidding)

So I ordered just the pressure and clutch plates, no flywheel, and read that some people replace them, some people get them resurfaced, and some people just leave them alone. How can I tell if I need to replace, resurface, or leave alone? The car has 150k miles on it and I dont know if its ever been done before. Here are some pictures.

http://imgur.com/a9OAw
http://imgur.com/ZrSWD
http://imgur.com/o8cX2
http://imgur.com/aeyB7
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
fly wheel looks fine, you replace it if it is cracked, or warped...you should have it resurfaced, a fresh machine finish will allow the new clutch disc material to work into the fine crevices, having a thin film of clutch material in the flywheel will help the clutch hold on to it. I know some people just leave it alone, but that is against my own policy, if it works for ya great, but the last thing you want is for your brand new clutch to start slipping prematurely...I also recommend red loc-tite on the flywheel bolts, and the torque value is 72 +/- 3 ft-lbs

unless you're modding...right now would be a good time to get a lightweight flywheel and an LSD if you plan on going big, and have the money, otherwise, kudos on DIY maintenance....

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Nov 26, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:43 AM

Ok so the clutch disk and pressure plate are in the transmission and the transmission is all put back onto the block. It was a huge PITA but I hopefully have everything right now. So i had a few questions....

I was able to put back on all of the engine mounts, except for the rear. When I put that mount on, the rubber wheel on the inside of the mount got messed up, so I was able to put the mount on but was not able to get the 14mm bolt through the wheel. What kind of problems might arise from this?

The passenger side axle is going in very hard, I have to wiggle and wiggle it back and forth just for a few mm but its still about an inch and a half from being in. Should I be worried about this? Could this possibly be something I messed up in the clutch (ie bent flange on the pressure plate or something)

Also, there are two shifter linkages on top of the transmission with ovals on the end of them. It seems like I can select one of three positions, when pushing them side to side. Which position should they be in?

I've heard that there are two separate oils, one for the transfer case, and one for the transmission case. Im assuming the transfer case is on the driver's side of the transmission bell. Is it true that there are two different oil's that I need to replace now? What are these jobs called so I can search for them on the forums?

So I have my passenger side axle somewhat into my transmission is there an easier solution to getting it in besides wiggling it? Can I whack one end with a board or would this mess the cv joints up? When I turn the passenger side axle the driver's side turns, so Im hoping thats a good sign!

Thanks for any and all help guys!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by campbmic
ok so the clutch disk and pressure plate are in the transmission and the transmission is all put back onto the block. It was a huge pita but i hopefully have everything right now. So i had a few questions....

I was able to put back on all of the engine mounts, except for the rear. When i put that mount on, the rubber wheel on the inside of the mount got messed up, so i was able to put the mount on but was not able to get the 14mm bolt through the wheel. What kind of problems might arise from this?

well you dont want to leave it out if thats what your asking. How far off is it? Can you stick a screwdriver in the hole to help align the mounting hole? They never line up perfect you always have to adjust to get the bolt in the hole.

the passenger side axle is going in very hard, i have to wiggle and wiggle it back and forth just for a few mm but its still about an inch and a half from being in. Should i be worried about this? Could this possibly be something i messed up in the clutch (ie bent flange on the pressure plate or something)

i push the axles in as far as i can (about as far as you are) then i push in on the axle while taking a rubber mallet (as not to damage the spline) and tap a few times on the end of the axle and it should slip right over that spring clip that holds the axle in. Make sure the be pushing in on it at the end by where your tapping on it.

also, there are two shifter linkages on top of the transmission with ovals on the end of them. It seems like i can select one of three positions, when pushing them side to side. Which position should they be in?

it does not matter what position its in. Get the two linkages attached to the trans then bolt the linkage mount on and the shifter will be in the correct position.

i've heard that there are two separate oils, one for the transfer case, and one for the transmission case. Im assuming the transfer case is on the driver's side of the transmission bell. Is it true that there are two different oil's that i need to replace now? What are these jobs called so i can search for them on the forums?

we dont have 4wd (only reason for a transfer case) so we dont have a transfer case . There is a bolt on the trans on the side facing the front of the vehicle you use to fill the trans with oil. Make sure the car is level then fill until it starts to spill out of the hole and then your good.

so i have my passenger side axle somewhat into my transmission is there an easier solution to getting it in besides wiggling it? Can i whack one end with a board or would this mess the cv joints up? When i turn the passenger side axle the driver's side turns, so im hoping thats a good sign!

see above

thanks for any and all help guys!
:d

Last edited by 03lances; Nov 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dragunbayne (Jun 19, 2017)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:27 PM

SWEEEEEEETTTT THANKS for all of your help LANCES hahah
I have to work tonight but hopefully Ill get it done when I get off.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

i can't add anything to that, 03lances pretty much covered it...you need that rear mount tho...

the differential case is part of the transmission case, the only time you need different gear lube is if you wanted to use a friction modifyer for LSD, etc.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Nov 28, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:19 PM

Alright, so I have everything buttoned back up and it actually works!!! hahah

I do have two problems,

1. When I put the transmission fluid in with the car not on jacks, I put in 2.3 quarts and it still wasnt flowing out of the input hole. Do I need to put more in until it floods out of the hole? I dont want to overfill it.

2. The rear motor mount is pretty messed up. The center of the mount (the rubber wheel) got bent up when I was trying to wrestle the tranny into the car. The "eye" of the wheel is bent up and is now vertical instead of horizontal. So when I shift from first, or start the car I can feel the engine kind of jerk a bit. Its not too bad but would like to fix it if I can, I dont want it to cause damage on down the road.

So is there a way I can replace the rear mount without having to take the transmission off? For instance, the front mount is very easy to get on and off!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:24 PM

Actually, I found a write up on it THANK GOD I dont have to take the tranny out. I probably wouldnt do it if I had to!!

Thanks again for all of the help guys!!!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...s-upgrade.html
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad its back together. As for the fluid, im sure its not hurting anything right now but yeah you want it to just start dribbling out of that fill hole to be full. As for the rear mount I would get that done asap. Be easy on it until then (better if you can park it I know you dont wanna hear that lol) as you could ruin the front mount since it is now the only mount trying to absorb the torque from the engine.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Glad its back together. As for the fluid, im sure its not hurting anything right now but yeah you want it to just start dribbling out of that fill hole to be full. As for the rear mount I would get that done asap. Be easy on it until then (better if you can park it I know you dont wanna hear that lol) as you could ruin the front mount since it is now the only mount trying to absorb the torque from the engine.
not to mention it will put unnecessary stress on the cv shafts...

for the OP, you're better off overfilling...in fact i know guys that fill it till it seeps out, then the take out their speedo sensor or control housing, and fill it more...