Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Manual Shifting An Automatic

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Shifting An Automatic

Hey I have a lancer 2004 LS wondering if I can shift I'm pretty sure you can like with pro drag peeps they use autos anyways let me no cause I'm going drag strip see how my na car goes
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry man but I dont really understand what you're trying to say
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow really? Actually wait your serious huh. Well just don't do it it's absolutly stupid and won't do anything for you except make you look stupid IMO
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Ignore last comment clearly has no idea to the guy at top I'm asking or well asking if with the LANCER can you shift in my manual shows with arrows how you can shift and tells you how to shift down bla bla I know in some older cars you can and it does let you, just wana make sure I'm going to tech the ecu longer shifts but this gives it a kick and I'm going to Verafie at the strip if changing auto manually if faster then a pre set ecu
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes your asking if u can manually shift your automatic am I not correct? Cause I think that by doing that it will shift faster? Is that not what your asking?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:44 AM

My 05 lancer (asian model) has the 4-speed sequential auto tranny on the 4g94 where you can actually shift from gear 1 to 4 with an indicator on the current gear next to fuel gauge. However, it only allow you to gear up at specific speed only i.e gear 2 from zero but gear 3 must be at least 20mph and gear 4 must be 30 mph minimum. Looking into how to make this more flexible to gget in total control. Any ideas how to interfere the TCM or ECU on this?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Paintabruh
Ignore last comment clearly has no idea to the guy at top I'm asking or well asking if with the LANCER can you shift in my manual shows with arrows how you can shift and tells you how to shift down bla bla I know in some older cars you can and it does let you, just wana make sure I'm going to tech the ecu longer shifts but this gives it a kick and I'm going to Verafie at the strip if changing auto manually if faster then a pre set ecu
You drive a Lancer, not a pro drag car. The transmission is a torque converter based unit. The simple answer is no, at least not in the way you described.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:45 AM

I have a 05 Lancer es automatic and I always use the little shifter thing, it makes driving funner. But last month I went to the drag strip and it wasn't to much of a difference for me .. but I had really bad reaction times and I kept shifting it to early. Next time I go im going to let it wind out then shift see if its different then. But does anyone know if its bad for your transmission to do it all the time.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

damm to many haters on here chill out anyways the austrlian one does change for you in L 2 or 3 (shift up that is) it can shift down but when its getting to dangerous to be slowing in high gears, but i can up gears for as long as i want on L i can go up as far as i want (wouldnt do it all the time) 2 can drag that out real good and 3 i can to i dnt get how it doesnt make slower when if you have a slow auto (taught in everyday driving) it will **** at 30 kilometer an hour and so on, i can stretch out the gears i dont know if australian lancer is diffwerent or not my manual says i can profesional drag people do im sure if your doing it every day a trans cooler will help, ive driven both manual auto and rwd and fwd ( no awd) so yeh anyways ... il take it to the strip one day go down auto with out teaching ecu, with shifting and then with teaching people judge on what they dont know sometimes... ignorence is a vertue
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

damm to many haters on here chill out anyways the austrlian one does change for you in L 2 or 3 (shift up that is) it can shift down but when its getting to dangerous to be slowing in high gears, but i can up gears for as long as i want on L i can go up as far as i want (wouldnt do it all the time) 2 can drag that out real good and 3 i can to i dnt get how it doesnt make slower when if you have a slow auto (taught in everyday driving) it will **** at 30 kilometer an hour and so on, i can stretch out the gears i dont know if australian lancer is diffwerent or not my manual says i can profesional drag people do im sure if your doing it every day a trans cooler will help, ive driven both manual auto and rwd and fwd ( no awd) so yeh anyways ... il take it to the strip one day go down auto with out teaching ecu, with shifting and then with teaching people judge on what they dont know sometimes... ignorence is a vertue
OK, please try to use periods to separate out your thoughts, giant blocks of text are really hard to read, especially when it's full of spelling and grammatical errors (spelling ignorance and virtue wrong when calling people out for it is amusing though).

Anyways, I don't understand the question. You drive a basic, econocar. The transmission was obviously not designed for drag racing and it's nothing like the transmissions used by professional drag racers. All you're doing is using a mode to hold the car in a specific gear, that's it. You're not really "shifting" it, you're just switching from one mode to the other.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

damm to many haters on here chill out ..................... people judge on what they dont know sometimes... ignorence is a vertue
Lolwut?

Unless you want to change higher than the auto shift point you're not doing any good, even then I don't know if changing higher is going to be any better.

But it sounds like you already know the answer to your question, whatever your question was.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

was using ipod sorry for grammer errors il make sure i use spell check and all grammer next time for you il also get an editor yeh what i thought just to increase the shift range not always just for fun raceing etc
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Someone else might want to chime in here, I don't know anything about your powerband, but you're probably doing more harm than good.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Yeh that's pretty much main question I know alot of people that do it just want to know if I can, it does make a difference like to know any risk
Old Feb 3, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Someone else might want to chime in here, I don't know anything about your powerband, but you're probably doing more harm than good.
This, you're not making any power up top anyways.

Quick Reply: Manual Shifting An Automatic