Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Manual to Auto swap

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Manual to Auto swap

Dallas, TX.

I have a 2002 OZ. It has a manual transaxle with what I suspect is a bad input shaft bearing. I have looked at a dozen cars at the local pick n pulls but they are all automatics. I found one MT, but it had been hit so hard in the front, that the bellhousing was broken. I was thinking that it might not be so hard to swap in an auto, but wanted to see if anyone had done it. They want $99.00 for the transaxle and torque convertor. I already have the radiator fittings for the cooler lines. I can't seem to find out what functions on the auto are electronically controlled, if it is connected to the ECU, etc.; the mechanicals will be a breeze, I think, I am concerned about the electrics. Any comments/opinions/experiences are welcomed.
Old May 15, 2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by darksydedaddy
Dallas, TX.

I have a 2002 OZ. It has a manual transaxle with what I suspect is a bad input shaft bearing. I have looked at a dozen cars at the local pick n pulls but they are all automatics. I found one MT, but it had been hit so hard in the front, that the bellhousing was broken. I was thinking that it might not be so hard to swap in an auto, but wanted to see if anyone had done it. They want $99.00 for the transaxle and torque convertor. I already have the radiator fittings for the cooler lines. I can't seem to find out what functions on the auto are electronically controlled, if it is connected to the ECU, etc.; the mechanicals will be a breeze, I think, I am concerned about the electrics. Any comments/opinions/experiences are welcomed.

Hello,

I have an auto lancer and ive been doing some research to change it to manual. From what Ive gathered amazingly nobody has done it here. Everybody just says 'buy a manual'. I have your same problem, there aren't any around here.

-The only thing I can tell you is that the transmission mount has a different part number but looks the same in the picture.
-You will have to change the ECU, from my research the wiring harness is the same.
-obviously get the center console for the auto.

Let me know how it goes. We might be able to trade parts. Good luck.
Old May 15, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
People have done the swap, just haven't made a how to. You just have to search harder. As far as the guy going manual to auto, man you just may have to get the whole harness. Reason being the manual may not have the pin outs to control the auto. You are definitely going to be the pioneer in that.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

The A/T and M/T ecus have completely different pinouts, and connectors. You'll need the full engine/tranny harness. I've got both ecus on my bench at home, and can confirm the above. The A/T connectors have three rows of pins, and the M/T has only two.