Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

09 GTS CVT transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 GTS CVT transmission failure

I have a 09 GTS with 34000 miles. Stock DD, well, it started to make a pretty loud clicking noise right at 40 mph. Sounds almost like a big rock in the tire. Brought it to dealership for them to look at it. Couple days later they call me up and tell me that it needs a new transmission! They said when it was on the rack in gear it made a terrible winding noise. Just got it back yesterday and it's making the same clicking noise....They are taking it back Monday to look at it again. Service manager said that this was the first CVT tranny they have ever had to change.....Oh...they did make me pay for a transmission flush before they would proceed to see if that corrected the problem $199.00. Of course it didn't, but there was a visible difference in the color of the fluid before & after. It was a little brown before.......
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm. I have a similar thing, i have an 08 GTS auto w/TT paddle shifters. I hear this winding or grinding type of noise that happens when I either accelerate or after I let off the gas. This happens during any type of driving or in either mode sport or D, but it doesn't happen all the time. When the noise occurs if i put the car into N then it stops, so this is why i assume it has to be something with the trans or the gears them self.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:11 AM

Kinda sounds like the winding I heard, but didn't know that it was not normal. Signs of a tranny about to go out, make sure you don't let anyone else touch your transmission. The factory will try to void your warranty.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:13 PM

Update, the clicking noise was a loose wheel weight that would slap the rim when I hit about 40 mph. New wheel weight, good to go!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 01:06 AM

Hey Guys,
I used to have a winding noise on mine up until 65000 when i took it in after I got a CEL saying I had an issue with the tranny.

Dealer said that a part of the tranny was bad, and since they don't sell the part by itself, they had to replace the whole thing. Got a free fluid change with it.

The winding noise came back at like 75k, and now at 105k its more distinct.
Even with exhaust/intake, I can hear it, especially at low speeds.

I can DEF. hear a winding noise if im downshifting. (GTS Auto - Paddle Shifters)
Winding scares me all the time since i fear it to be another transmission swap. Guess the noise is common among these cars..
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyl
Update, the clicking noise was a loose wheel weight that would slap the rim when I hit about 40 mph. New wheel weight, good to go!
Good to hear. So your transmission is fine now?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 05:48 AM

Yeah, thanks, the transmission is way quieter now.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

I really don't like the noise, it doesn't happen often but it just doesn't sound good. I want to bring it to a shop still and see if it can be look at under warranty.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TutMatt3
Hey Guys,
I used to have a winding noise on mine up until 65000 when i took it in after I got a CEL saying I had an issue with the tranny.

Dealer said that a part of the tranny was bad, and since they don't sell the part by itself, they had to replace the whole thing. Got a free fluid change with it.

The winding noise came back at like 75k, and now at 105k its more distinct.
Even with exhaust/intake, I can hear it, especially at low speeds.

I can DEF. hear a winding noise if im downshifting. (GTS Auto - Paddle Shifters)
Winding scares me all the time since i fear it to be another transmission swap. Guess the noise is common among these cars..

Hey Any update? I know its been awhile. I was just browsing some threads and saw this again. I still have my annoying sound. Tried taking it to a shop but they wont touch it because my CEL is on for the cat and o2 sensor. So im waiting for them to replace that before the trans can get looked at. Still under a warranty not by mitsu though.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 04:08 PM

Just took mine in to have the whining sound/ trans leak looked at.

Shop says torque converter started to shear tiny pieces of metal off that took out all my seals. New torque converter plus rebuild kit and labor: $3900 ish. At 141k miles, I am considering a new car

2009 Lancer ES Sport w/ CVT