Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Engine revving itself in traffic

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my car doesn't do it, and I have a cai, obviously not inherent to our cars, must be an air leak of some sort.
Old May 6, 2005, 10:04 AM

I have the same problem, sometimes my car revs up to almost 4K, of course mitsu knows nothing about it. I have had nothing but problems with my lancer, I really regret buying it. Furthermore, the dealer is completely worthless, they can't fix things, seem to have no idea about how to fix the car, do not want to fix anything under warranty. My parents and neighbors had similiar problems with galants. I will NEVER buy a mitsu again...
Old May 6, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

did you guys do the recall on our cooling fans?

also - it may be bad spark going through your system. try changing spark plugs or at least checking to see if they are fowled. If you aren't getting good spark you will have rough idle. Also check your gaps. Also make sure you dont have cuts in the rubber of your spark plug wires. If you do, the spark will ground on anyhting BUT the plugs and distributor. My last thing to check (besides the vac leak) is fuel type and fuel injection . . . what brand of fuel are you using? Have you ever tried running a fuel injection cleaner into your tank (especially fory ou high mile guys)? Sometimes cars run rough because of improper fuel distribution. At higher speeds, the throttle is more open, and so it wouldnt have the problem. Just something to check out. You should also reset the ecu by taking off a bettery terminal for 10-15 mins.....After you do all of this and still havent solved anything, you need to take it in and have it diagnosed. It's not healthy ot hav a car idle high - unless it is a cold engine. Chances are it is either air, fuel or (spark) that is not being consistent.