Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

gauge cluster needles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge cluster needles

So I met up with another member who helped to install white glow gauges on my OZ gauge cluster that I swapped with the original ES cluster. Now my speedometer and gas gauges are acting up. They still seem to work, just not right. When driving my speedometer needle won't move until I go about 5 or 10 MPH then seems to operate normally. The gas needle doesn't go down when I turn off the engine unless I turn the battery back on then it will drop to E. Once I start the engine again it raises normally but I can't be 100% certain if it's even at the right spot. I tried disconnecting the battery and the cluster then reconnecting both hoping to "reset" something. Still didn't change anything. I know if I go to the dealership they'll know it's aftermarket thus not covered in my warranty. The last thing I want to do is try my luck and manage to find another cluster on eBay and getting one new from the dealership is too expensive.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've put them back on wrong. In my sig is a How To I made on changing the color of your needles. In the How To I give very detailed instructions on how to remove and replace the needles. Take a look and PM me if you have any more problems.

Edit: I just realized that if you didn't mark the original spot of the needles, then this how to won't help much. Assuming all these are equal, and that all factory shipped clusters are calibrated the same (migt be a strech), I can tell you where the needles should be located so you can put them on right. Or, I'd also be willing to do it for you for a small fee if you'd want to ship them out to me. Let me know.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

ok, did you remove your gauge needles to install the white glow gauges or did you just work the white gauges around the needles when you installed them.

If you removed the needles to install the white gauge overlay and didnt mark their original place....your pretty screwed.

If you took the white gauge overlays and managed to work them on without taking off the needles by wriggling them around until they slide on then you can try this.

When I installed my white gauges I didnt take off the needles. But my spedometer needle stuck as well. What was happening was the white gauge overlay I just put on top of the original gauges made the surface a bit higher than it originally was. The spedometer needle was rubbing against it and getting stuck.

I took an exacto knife and *VERY CAREFULLY* cut around the perimeter of where the needle pivots. This should remove any extra plastic from the white gauges that might be causing rubbing.

Hopefully this applies to your problem and helps. If anything isnt clear shoot me a pm and Ill try to explain it better. Good luck.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

No, the needles weren't removed. I have a theory as to why my gas gauge is ****ing up. The gauge lights are wired to be constantly on as oppose to only when I turn on the headlights like they're suppose to be. This may explain why the gas gauge, which will move into place even if just the battery is on, is acting up.

The last time I got glow gauges for my 240SX I paid for a shop to install them and they replaced the red needles with white ones for free and everything worked fine.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 08:45 PM

yeah, i guess like brakes, replacing guages should be best left to a shop. It would be really funny if your speedo said 30 and you were actually going like 60 - 70, and the cop pulled you over. LOL, i wonder if a cop would buy the replacing guage story.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

I got the problem fixed... or should I say BADEVO did. There was serious rubbing issues, especially on the gas needle.

I'm rather proud of the current set up. I hated the ES cluster and wanted to replace it. After a year, finally got a hold of a Ralliart cluster and a halo glow gauge kit.

Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

that does look very very nice.....the only reason I never went the route you went was I didnt want to switch the gauge clusters for the mileage fraud reason. Not that thats such a huge deal to switch back, but I never had the drive to go all out. Congrats on getting it fixed, those look awsome.