Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Misfiring, Spark Plugs, wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfiring, Spark Plugs, wtf?!

Recently I bought a new set of spark plugs (NGK IX). Everything was fine until I noticed my car is misfiring like crazy when I push the throttle more than 60%.
Today I wanted to check the plugs to find out which one is misfiring. When checking the 4th one I noticed it was not even in all the way?!?!?!?!
I tightened it and it still misfires.
My OZ might be misfiring because of a coil pack but why would one of the plugs be loose??? I know it was tightened because I changed them myself.
Unless people from Midas f**** me up.
Any Ideas?
Old May 3, 2005, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

check for dirt in the sparkplug hole. could cause a gap between the cylinder head and sparkplug.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

I can see some dirt in there, just a little bit on the bottom. How to clean it up??? I checked all the spark plugs and it seems like the third one is misfiring. There's a black line on the white park of the plug.
I had magnacore wires and changed them to stock wires and it's still doing it.
Gap is not set, whatever it was when I bought them that's what it is now.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear of your problem...but like they've been saying-try new plugs, plug gap, and even gasoline. Did you happen to get gas recently??? I got a bad batch of gas once...really made the car f up. Clean up that dirt deposit, keep the stock wires on for now, get new plugs (even cheaper ones will work fine), gap them, start'r up. See what happens...heard that the higher performance plugs on a non-performance car (my Lancer and others) will have a negative impact rather than a good one. Good luck.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buy a new set of plugs - just go to AutoZone, etc and get whatever they recommend for the Lancer. Clean the dirt. Use either set of plug wires, but clean them.

Reinstall everything, reset the ECU (hey, why not?) and fire it up. See what happens.
Old May 3, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

IN addition to what everyone says, get regular NGK plugs.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

I will try that tomorrow. thx for help
Old May 3, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Probably a misfire from a coil pack.

Got a check engine light? Go to Auto Zone and get it checked they will tell you from what cylinder it is misifring. (They do it for free) When you find out, change the coil pack. It will probably be the second or fourth cylinder since those have the coil packs. Coil pack is like $70 from dealership.

Let me know how that works.

Magnacor wires should have nothing to do with it, I have those wires and my car is great.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:06 PM

ive been having problem with my car. and Im tring to read all i can to find out whats wrong with my car.. What is spark plug misfiring.? and how can you kno?
Old May 3, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Misfiring means it's not getting the proper spark it needs. It can be caused from the coil pack from shorting out and not being able to send the power to spark.

Spark plugs are the little plugs down in the cylinders. The coil packs are the two box looking things on top of cylinders 2 and 4. 1 and 3 cylinders are just power from 2 and 4 coil packs.

Make sure you always replace the spark plugs with what Mitsu or your manual says. Some plugs may look better but it depends on your car. If you got a lot of tuning done to your car, you could probably do different plugs, but for a stock or only lighty modified car, stay with the stock recommended plugs.

Last edited by pumpdog720; May 3, 2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Once again, hopefully you got the Check Engine Light on and can take it to Auto Zone to get the code so you know where the problem is coming from. The first step is to know where the problem is and what it's coming from, then you can fix from there.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:32 PM

the problem ive been having is that when im under 2k rpm its chokes. and say im entering the freeway and just trying to gain speed, its feels like it cant breath, and its choking.. I have almost 80k miles on it, and my car gets the normal oil changes and tune ups.. Dont kno what it can be.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it happened to me before. I bought ngk Laser iridium plugs and after a while my engine misfired. I changed them to ngk IX and everything was fine until recently. When I still had Laser iridiums I downshifted and got a SES light. Autozone told me it's misfiring.
It looks like it's the 3rd cylinder. The spark plug has a black line on the ceramic part of the plug.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gregivq
Well, it happened to me before. I bought ngk Laser iridium plugs and after a while my engine misfired. I changed them to ngk IX and everything was fine until recently. When I still had Laser iridiums I downshifted and got a SES light. Autozone told me it's misfiring.
It looks like it's the 3rd cylinder. The spark plug has a black line on the ceramic part of the plug.
The reader tells you what cylinder it is from. Go back have them check and ask which cylinder is misfiring.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Now I can't because the SES light is gone. I know it will apear if I will step on the throttle and let it misfire for few seconds but don't want to harm the engine.
Either way my egine is gone get torn apart, tomorrow I have to change the pistons!!!
I will get a cheap set of original spark plugs and see what happens. If that doesn't help I will get new coil packs, spark plugs, wires, and if that doesn't help I will **** in that cylinder.

Quick Reply: Misfiring, Spark Plugs, wtf?!