Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

have power, no start? (need all the help i can get)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2005, 05:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have power, no start? (need all the help i can get)

This is a pretty complex question, so let me try my best to explain it:

i lost my cigaretter lighter receptacle when i sent off my dash trim to be cf covered. i tried to pick up a generic one at autozone and wire it up, but for some reason it never worked (i found out later with my voltmeter it never had juice).

however, i DID notice my ash tray light had juice, so i stupidly tried to tap into that for power to charge my phone. alas, that didn't work because it was too much strain.

I found out last weekend I blew that fuse and replaced it, but my problems persist:

-since i tapped into the ashtray led, my hvac, ashtray, and shifter leds haven't been working. For some reason, they just aren't geting any juice, even though I replaced the fuse.

-perhaps related, but about once a week i turn the key and nothing. my dash leds are on (door open light or E.brake light), but once i turn the key the lights go off. take the key out, count to ten, and electricity comes back, turn key, and it'll start.

sometimes i have to wait a few extra seconds, and one time, no electricity, but as soon as i opened the hood, came back on. sometimes i just hit the positive battery terminal and it works. its really weird

so there you go. double checked all my fuses, battery is still healthy, i'm just not sure if the problem is under the dash (cigarette lighter or the lines i tried to tap into) or if its in the battery connection under the hood

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok here is my take and things you may want to check....
1) Check to see if you are grounding out you ignition system with burnt wires. Basically what I am trying to say is you may have burnt some wires when you red necked your way through your cigarette light install.
2) Check Your ground that goes to the engine block.
3) You may want to consider checking your ignition swithch it may be out.
4) Also Your Neutral Safety Switch maybe on the fritz. And you electrical problems may be something completely different.
5) ummm theres something else I cant remember I'll get back to you but definately check you connections with a voltmeter(if you need help pm me)
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Jotun
Basically what I am trying to say is you may have burnt some wires when you red necked your way through your cigarette light install.
LOL, yeah, i was in a tight bind and was grasping at straws. stupid in hindsight, but whats done is done

YGPM. problem is, i understand what your saying, but i'm unsure on how to check for that stuff, ya know?
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:36 PM

PM ya back hope it helps
Old Jun 18, 2005, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

My best guess is the same as Jotun said, a ground problem. I had a similar problem when I owned my own 18 wheeler. Definately a ground problem of some sort. My wife found it since she is a senior test tech.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 05:49 AM
Account Disabled

yeah, i figured a ground is somewhere, the problem is........finding it!
Old Jun 18, 2005, 05:36 PM
Account Disabled

well, for those of you keeping score, i THINK i fixed the problem

cigarette leads were getting 12v, and apparently my leds (shifter, ash tray, etc) are ON, but are very very dim. votlage was around 2-3 volts on the lines. is that normal or a sure sign of a short?

i do have a theory (may not make sense cause i'm electrically illiterate) but when i tapped the led leads, causing the short and blown fuse, i think i somehow blew out the leds too or at least gave them so much current and voltage they immediately stopped being so bright or working altogether (as can happend with incandescent and leds if you feed them too much voltage)
Old Jun 18, 2005, 08:38 PM

sounds possible.. cross reference your owners manual to make sure you have the right voltage going to every thing
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You can always start pulling fuses until you find out what circuit it's on. Pain in the ***, I know, but that's how I eventualy found the problem with my car. Turned out to be related to the circuit the stereo, dome light and door sensor (for the dome light) are on. Figures, eh?
Old Jun 19, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'm glad we have other McGuyvers on the board trying a huge variety of stuff on their car. Thanks Greenphsycho You may not be able to smoke in ur car anymore but you remain one of the most original lancer people on this board. Cheers to you
Old Jun 19, 2005, 08:50 AM
Account Disabled

well, unfortunately, i am without owner manual and serive manual. only way i knew what fuses were what is because of the little chart on the back of the fuse box holder (and little cubby inside)

i double checked all the fuses and they are were legit, so i'm going to try replacing the leds, and if that doesn't work i'm out of ideas

if anyone were to jump in their car and bust out the ole' voltmeter to check the juice on the leds (ash tray, ciggy lighter and shifter LED on auto), i would be grateful

edit: thanks for the compliments n1te. actually, my ciggy lighter does work, which i'm happy about, just got to fix my lighting now and then see if my starting trouble is taken care of or not (hard to test that since it happens once in a while)
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

ygpm.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 03:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Were you pulling fuses from the main junction box or from the fuse box inside the car?
Old Jun 19, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

do you have some kind of alarm system on your car? Reason i asked is my wifes jeep did the same thing as your car turns out the negative wire was fried cause we jumped started it.The negative wire on the alarm system.Just a idea
Old Jun 19, 2005, 04:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
Were you pulling fuses from the main junction box or from the fuse box inside the car?
just the one inside the car, thats the one for my dome and cig. lighter. i checked the ones in the engine bay, but they were all gravy, so i didn't pull them. why?

no, no alarm. in an hour i'll go out to my car and compare new leds (when its dark)

Quick Reply: have power, no start? (need all the help i can get)