Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Front rattles like crazy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front rattles like crazy

Allright... well 2 weeks ago I lost a bolt on my header/downpipe flange so I changed the gasket and all the bolts and nuts. The following morning another bolt fell off so I had to put on yet another one Ever since then the car rattles when I'm in reverse. Sounds like something is nocking somewhere but it aint the downpipe. The morning I had to put the bolt on, it took me like 4 minutes to raise the car, put the bolt on, and put the car back down. Could I have messed up something by lowering the car to quickly

The rattles is very noticable when I'm in reverse. Sometimes it will also do it when I start the car.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it's likely you damaged something by lowering the car to quickly. I'd jack it back up again and start tugging and banging on the exhaust, tie-bars, struts, and anything I can see underneath. It may just be a loose bolt or nut.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

man, so many people have the problem of bolts rattling off their car lately.. wtf do you guys torque them down to, like 20ft.lb?
To solve your problem either tighten those b*tches down with some muscle action, or get some flex-loc nuts. (not nyloc because those will melt)
http://www.spstech.com.au/flexloc.html <--they carry them at almost every automotive store or hardware store around me.. Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Advance Auto Parts, Murrays, etc..

edit: Check your exhaust heat shields too. Those are known to rattle on almost any car. You don't need them, except the ones by the gas tank, if your exhaust even has them stock.. mine didn't, but my Talon did.

Last edited by wiretap; Aug 2, 2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
man, so many people have the problem of bolts rattling off their car lately.. wtf do you guys torque them down to, like 20ft.lb?
To solve your problem either tighten those b*tches down with some muscle action, or get some flex-loc nuts. (not nyloc because those will melt)
http://www.spstech.com.au/flexloc.html <--they carry them at almost every automotive store or hardware store around me.. Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Advance Auto Parts, Murrays, etc..

edit: Check your exhaust heat shields too. Those are known to rattle on almost any car. You don't need them, except the ones by the gas tank, if your exhaust even has them stock.. mine didn't, but my Talon did.
Trust me, those bolts are on tight. They were put on with the impact
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

the rattling is probably the downpipe, i had the same problem with mine. it used to do it all the time, but doesnt do it much anymore. if you look under the car, you should notice that the dp is nearly touching the frame. you cant really do much about it, unless you want get some of those heat resistant hoses and put one between the dp and frame (my guess is that, that should solve the problem).
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Can't really be the downpipe hitting the frame. I've had my setup for over a year and it's never done that before. But I'll still look it up... I might have change the angle in which the pipe is routed when I replaced the gasket.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Trust me, those bolts are on tight. They were put on with the impact
And they are still falling off......? Are you sure you didn't strip them with the impact gun, lol. Seriously, if they fall off again, you need flexloc nuts. Those will never fall off, no matter how much they rattle.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

i bet that it is your dp, if not that then it could be you intake hitting your battery or something. do realize how much your engine moves when under acceleration? especially with the flex pipe on the dp, allows it to move even more.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oz4g94
do realize how much your engine moves when under acceleration?
Not much acceleration in reverse

And they are still falling off......? Are you sure you didn't strip them with the impact gun, lol. Seriously, if they fall off again, you need flexloc nuts. Those will never fall off, no matter how much they rattle
Only that one bolt. I guess that one wasn't tight enough when I first put it on.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

it doesnt matter the amount of acceleration or the throttle you give it, the engine moves. like i said, the same thing happened to me, it only rattled in reverse. if i was nearly out on the clutch, then it would begin to rattle really loud, but the further i pushed in the clutch (enough so that the car would move) the less it would vibrate against the frame. i had originally thought that it was my intake, but after cutting out the splash guards even more (to an extent that there was no way that it could touch it), the rattling continued.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

oz4g94 > I hate to say it but I think you're right I took a look at it when I changed my oil and the Dp is hanging very close to the chassis. I guess it's closer than it used to be since it's tighter than it used to be lol...
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

mine has finally loosened up and sits slightly lower than it did, but it is still a pretty tight fit and i get some clanks every once in a while.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

when I crawl back under there I'll see if I could juste grind down a part of what it's bangging against.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

hey blaze, i just remembered a possible solution. you can get the kartboy hangers. they are metal as opposed to the stock rubber ones and should reduce the amount of the full exhaust swaying (comes with 5- 3 for the rear section and 2 for the dp). heres a link to the thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=151282
Old Aug 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

nevermind about those hangers, i got them and now my downpipe rattles against the frame in every gear, but holds the exhaust much tighter.

Quick Reply: Front rattles like crazy