Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

water in intake

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water in intake

ok, i know lots of people get water in their cold air intake, its happened to me before, but this time the car stalled right away, and took me 15 min to get it started.. cel came on saying weak signal to mas and then another one about the mas i cant remember what.. and a third one sayin the vehicles speed sensor A malfunctioning.. oh and now theres a loud ticking coming from the head.. yes i know lancers have noisy engines, mine was always a lil noisy, but this sound is hella loud.. almost like it had been running with no oil or something, but i know thats not the case and i just checked to make sure a couple minutes ago... power is greatly reduced, is it possible that im only running on 3 cylinders? any body have any ideas as to whats wrong? any help would be great, i dont want to drive it until i know whats wrong/ and that'll only be to a shop tomorrow..
Old Oct 6, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

change the oil out right away. look for discoloration on your dipstick to see if water got into the oil. go to autzone and get some water treatment for oil... it will seperate the two. also do not drive your car, if water gets sucked up instead of oil, it will seize the engine and you will blow a rod, piston, or SOMETHIng
Old Oct 6, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

yea .. umm dont know what to tell you besides .. this has happen to me .. i posted it in GROWN MAN CRYING ... but yea ... now my car runs fine .. and i just stay away from water .. no car washes or anything ... dont know what to tell you .. but if u find out .. tell me .. just in case this happens to my car ...
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

pull the plugs. if your lucky they are fowled, change them and the oil and make sure the intake manifold is clear of water before running the engine any more. if it is still tapping you probebly bent a rod, do not drive until its fixed, if you drive you will destroy the block (if not already destroyed)

mine stalled frequently in heavy rain and pulling out of car washes due to water running down the drivers fender lip like a rain gutter and it drips straight down on the cai air filter saturating it and stalling the engine. I made a little cover to keep the water from draining directly onto the filter and the problem went away. oh and I avoid puddles like the plague

we had a cust bring in a hydrolocked CL55 that was shocked when we told him it wasnt covered under warrenty... MB doesnt care if you go swimming, just take your Mercedes off first. that was a $50,000 swim all said and done
Old Oct 7, 2005, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

It's interesting how some lancers have this problem and others don't. For example, when I got for a free wash at my old high school they pour the water right on my filter. And note that the plastic cover is off to provide more air. My engine is running and there is nothing going on. I usually slam the gas just to show off in front of the girls.
You guys have to make sure your filters are saturated with a special oil. If you take off the filter pour some water on it. It's not going to get inside because of the oil in the filter. (not engine oil)
Old Oct 7, 2005, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^good point. Maybe this is happening because of inadequent filter oil. I used K&N filter charger oil kit and it's good for 2 re-oilings. But I guess I won't have this problem seeing that I'm SRI w/ heat shield.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

so about this oil .. where can i get some? give me a brand or type?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
I used K&N filter charger oil kit and it's good for 2 re-oilings.
Damn... I do between 5 to 8 recharge with a K&N kit
Old Oct 7, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think you can buy it. Just when you will buy your next filter make sure it's not ebay, autozone, or any other cheap crap. I know for sure Weapon R's filters have a lot of oil on them. I had an extra one, submerged it in a bath tub full of water (not the opening, just the filtering part) and it didn't leak!!!

Or go to www.outerwearsracing.com
Old Oct 7, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...E62580434693E8
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

im interested too. I know we're supposed to oil our intake filters to prevent dust and other small particle material getting in but I dont know what types are good
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timdog4life
im interested too. I know we're supposed to oil our intake filters to prevent dust and other small particle material getting in but I dont know what types are good
K&N
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gregivq
I don't think you can buy it.
you talkin about the k&n recharge kit??? i've bought it at least 5-6 times now.

http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1297&cid=
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:20 AM

alright, thanks for the help guys.. im gonna try that this weekend...
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Damn... I do between 5 to 8 recharge with a K&N kit
Well, I'm not sure which filter you have, but I have a RMR re-useable that has plenty of pleats. Plus, I'm very thorough making sure every last space is covered.

I got my K&N filter recharger kit on Ebay for like $15.

Here's a link to one auction on Ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-K...spagenameZWDVW ).

Quick Reply: water in intake