Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

How To: Far left exaust manifold nut <- STICK THIS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the props on the diagram.. Myself have found this the easiest way. As far as the removing timimg belt cover, and pulling off the guard to gain access to the nut, that is lots of work that is not required, and now your doing extra work to get off 1 nut. Mind you, the only addition u need here is a rope, and you are only taking off 1 nut, not (4 screws, maybe some nuts in side, a guard, a timing belt cover.) sounds like work to me!

This is the most time efficient way, but im happy to hear how the other folks do it. I still dont know about destroying something to remove it. You should never have to destroy a part on a car to remove it.

My 2c.

- Andy
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

destroying it? it is simply unbolting it. the peice looks like crap anyway so just leave it out...please don't take this personaly but, it took me less than 2 minutes to make a permenant convenience for myself...doesn't sound like that much work.

Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

2 minutes? That's outrageous.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
2 minutes? That's outrageous.
it is seriously VERY easy to get out...atleast mine was. once it's off the bolt comes right out--> break it loose with a box wrench and unscrew it by hand. these other methods are just time consuming...not to mention the timing belt cover is just tacky looking on any vehicle
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Pics?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by comatose721
it is seriously VERY easy to get out...atleast mine was. once it's off the bolt comes right out--> break it loose with a box wrench and unscrew it by hand. these other methods are just time consuming...not to mention the timing belt cover is just tacky looking on any vehicle
I keep my timing belt cover on. I try to keep it dry and keep debris off it since I hardly have any splash guards.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Angry Every thread becomes a lame arguement.

I am beginning to think that this thread is a "im better than you" assumption.

If you got the job done, great.
If you hammer and chiseled(spelling) the nut off, great.
If you had to make a 20 min drive to HomeDepot to replace the nut, great.
If you want to bend back the plate behind the timing belt cover, great.
If you want to take a peice out, and not put it back in, thats great too.

BUT.

If you ruin the bolt threads while hammering, thats not great.
You will spend 5 bucks in gas, and .20 for a nut going to HomeDepot when you didnt have to. Thats not great.
If you bend the plate back, and it never fits the same again, thats not great.
If you remove a peice under the hood, that obviously needed to be there or Mitsubishi would have never installed it, thats not great either.

If you use a rope, and a 14mm wrench, nothing is broken, nothing is change or modified. The nut is simply taken off. I will not say that the way I do it is the best, because its not always easy, especially when the wrench drops. :-). But, this is the only way where nothing is destroyed.

Its not the easiest way that matters either... maybe to some of you, but ****, whats easy may not always work well in the long haul.

So keep cutting the bolt, keep cutting your nuts off ;-) keep bending back the metal plate, keep removing peices and doing extra work that isnt required. Ill be the guy that finishes the work on his car without having to leave the garage, while you bum a ride of your buddy to go to home depot, or to the dealership cuz you totally screwed up your ride :-)

BTW,
im not perfect,
im not better than you.

I am making a simple point, and providing useful information to help those that may read something that says,

"JUST BEND BACK THE PLATE BEHIND THE TIMING BELT!"

"JUST CUT OFF THE NUT!"

"JUST CUT OFF THE BOLT TOO YOU DONT NEED IT!"

or

"TAKE OFF THE TIMING BELT COVER AND REMOVE THE......"

-----------------

And mind you, this is not MY way. I searched and searched this forum for a better way and found my diagram written out by someone... I did it, and it was simple... Most people in the same thread did not understand the wording.. How often do you use rope to work on your car? exactly. So I took an extra step and created a diagram to help these people understand, yet someone wants to tell me they can do it easier, better....

Dont forget, the goal is to take off the nut. TAKE OFF THE NUT.. ONLY ONLY TAKE OFF THE NUT... PROPERLY :-)

there is like $1.02 for you.

Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

^+1 but how would you use to rope method with the stock manifold?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

can't take out the bolt!?
solution...

buy an evo.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by comatose721
Time consuming??

Rmember, after you are done w/ your project, you still have to take the nut off. I just add a rope to a wrench. how hard is that?

I couldnt tell you how long it took me to take off the nut, probably because 1 min would be too long, and 30 seconds may be too long, and oh wait, it took me about 20 seconds to tie a knott. and then a pull to break the nut loose, and then i pulled it off w/ my fingers... damn.. it took the same ammount of time as the others nuts.

instead of ratchet + 14mm socket it was 14mm wrench and a rope out the back of the truck... gimme a break... EASY!

Think of the timing belt cover as your motorcycle helmet. and the timing belt as your brain.... What does the helmet protect???? YOUR BRAIN... just like the COVER PROTECTS THE TIMING BELT AND GEAR INSIDE...

COMMON SENSE

Remove those tires, those are tacky too, dont need em... just want the BLING BLING RIGHT!??! lamer

NOTE: I am not angry, just a jerk naturally. So dont take me seriously, its all comon sense.

Last edited by EarsLikenElf; Dec 19, 2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gregivq
^+1 but how would you use to rope method with the stock manifold?
Its the same way. dont pay attention to the RRM header pic, I just used that for reference. Of course take off the heat sheild first. I will be swapping soon for smog, Ill make sure I take pics and start a new thread so people can tell me that my theory sucks. :-)
Old Dec 19, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

want to know how i got the nut off?

easy i went over to my tool bench found my electric hack saw pluged it in walked over to the car prayed to god that i wouldnt break anything else and sawed the mani off.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johns Slow ES
want to know how i got the nut off?

easy i went over to my tool bench found my electric hack saw pluged it in walked over to the car prayed to god that i wouldnt break anything else and sawed the mani off.
You must not live in california ;-) Smog is needed... and so is the stock mani.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

nope lm frezzing my butt off in good old chi town
Old Dec 19, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

elfwhatever..you have a major issue and it really needs to be kept off of the threads. leave your complaining in your X-mas stocking and stay on topic. i was simply giving input on this topic for others who aren't being as ignorant as you. we all have different goals and intentions for our cars and will go about things differently. my mere point was...well nevermind. any questions with the method posted earlier by ANYONE please PM me and i will be happy to help out.

Last edited by comatose721; Dec 19, 2005 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: How To: Far left exaust manifold nut <- STICK THIS