Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Idle problems

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle problems

Hi, I have recently installed new plugs because I was having idle issues. I changed them and the problem went away after the ecu reset itself. but now the idle is doing the same thing- it will rev up and down about 900-1200 rpm. every once in a while it goes normal, but usually it stays there. today, i turned on the ac and the idle went from 400-600 rpm, and felt like it was going to die. any help????????????
ps i also want to install the rrm header and piggy, but want to clear these idle problems first.
Old May 24, 2006, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any misfire?
Old May 25, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davemiro
Hi, I have recently installed new plugs because I was having idle issues. I changed them and the problem went away after the ecu reset itself. but now the idle is doing the same thing- it will rev up and down about 900-1200 rpm. every once in a while it goes normal, but usually it stays there. today, i turned on the ac and the idle went from 400-600 rpm, and felt like it was going to die. any help????????????
ps i also want to install the rrm header and piggy, but want to clear these idle problems first.
What mods do you have? and what was your last mod that you installed?

Otherwise,
If you recently did crank pulley and your belt is a little loose to alternator it can give you a irregular idle.

MAS, have you done anything to it, is it dirty or you havnt cleaned your air filter in a long time? recently installed TB,IM?

Have a breather on your intake? Its a bad idea
Old May 25, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sdhes
If you recently did crank pulley and your belt is a little loose to alternator it can give you a irregular idle.
-i drove on a loose belt for 5k....it doesn'at cause a funny idle.

-if anything was wrong with the MAS you (more likely than not) would pull a CEL

-can you explain the problem better
Old May 25, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by comatose721
-i drove on a loose belt for 5k....it doesn'at cause a funny idle.

-if anything was wrong with the MAS you (more likely than not) would pull a CEL

-can you explain the problem better
I drove on a loose alternator belt for about 5,000 miles and it did....at initial start-up. If the belt is slipping intermitantly you probably arent getting consistant electical power to the car causing irregular reving at idle. When the engine heats up the belt gets warm and more maluable, or sticky, and you get more consistent current and idle, as well as overall engine performance, smoothes out. Unless it is insanely loose.

Your MAS can get dirty if you are useing a cotton mesh filter w/ intake ang you can get inconssistent measure of air flow, or if it is bent somehow, and not get a CEL. I have read that you should make sure your MAS is clean any time you reset your computer, for best results. I unitentionaly bent my MAS down once while cleaning it and didnt notice untill the next time I wen to clean it...no CEL, but I'm sure it wasnt measuring flow accurately.

Not trying to argue as much as debate your opinion on the subject based on what I have read and experienced .
Old May 25, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

i thought it is supposed to idle at like 600 or 700
Old May 25, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DemisedGabe
i thought it is supposed to idle at like 600 or 700
yeah, like 700 to 750 give or take
Old May 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I drove on a loose alternator belt for about 5,000 miles and it did....at initial start-up. If the belt is slipping intermitantly you probably arent getting consistant electical power to the car causing irregular reving at idle. When the engine heats up the belt gets warm and more maluable, or sticky, and you get more consistent current and idle, as well as overall engine performance, smoothes out. Unless it is insanely loose.

Your MAS can get dirty if you are useing a cotton mesh filter w/ intake ang you can get inconssistent measure of air flow, or if it is bent somehow, and not get a CEL. I have read that you should make sure your MAS is clean any time you reset your computer, for best results. I unitentionaly bent my MAS down once while cleaning it and didnt notice untill the next time I wen to clean it...no CEL, but I'm sure it wasnt measuring flow accurately.

Not trying to argue as much as debate your opinion on the subject based on what I have read and experienced .
i've done belts on 5-6 lancers and several other vehicles; i know how it works. i agree that a dirty MAS will not throw a code; however it will still function fairly normal....in other words not THAT big of a deal.

btw.....if your belts are malleable i feel bad your car. malleable is a property given to describe the characteristics of certain METALS and as to whether or not that can be shaped easily
Old May 25, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by comatose721
i've done belts on 5-6 lancers and several other vehicles; i know how it works. i agree that a dirty MAS will not throw a code; however it will still function fairly normal....in other words not THAT big of a deal.

btw.....if your belts are malleable i feel bad your car. malleable is a property given to describe the characteristics of certain METALS and as to whether or not that can be shaped easily
"fairly normal" might mean you have an irregular, or inconsistant idle?

OK, your right, I'm wrong, your a genius, I'm an idiot, your good looking, I'm ugly... I dont want to split hairs, I just ment, and I think you know what I ment, that the rubber that is used in the belt...or any substance, expands on a molecular level when exposed to heat, causing the belt to be less rigid and increasing the surface area that would make contact with the alternator pulley .

P.S. Mines bigger

Last edited by sdhes; May 25, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:39 PM

thanks guys. my most recent change was some bosch platinum plugs. At the time i only have an intake and never had problems before. I just cleaned my intake and experienced no problems there. I want to put in my piggy and headers, but not till i get idle fixed. sometiems the idle is okay, and most of the time it is right around 100-1200 rpm. and like i said, when i put the ac on, it went down to 400-500 rpm and almost died.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:41 PM

on a side note, is there any spray cleaner i can shoot right into throttle body. I used to use this stuff on my civic back in the day, and it made black smoke, but after word, it ran like a champ.
Old May 25, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

OK, your right, I'm wrong, your a genius, I'm an idiot, your good looking, I'm ugly... I dont want to split hairs, I just ment, and I think you know what I ment, that the rubber that is used in the belt...or any substance, expands on a molecular level when exposed to heat, causing the belt to be less rigid and increasing the surface area that would make contact with the alternator pulley .

P.S. Mines bigger
LMAO

dude; i'm sorry. i am an unpublished author. spelling and word choice are a pet-peeve of mine. i wasn't calling you stupid; nor was i calling myself a genius

...about your post script: that just made my day. i'm still all doped up from surgery and i just accidently ripped out 4 of the 9 stitches in my mouth

happy mod'n

mark
Old May 25, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davemiro
on a side note, is there any spray cleaner i can shoot right into throttle body. I used to use this stuff on my civic back in the day, and it made black smoke, but after word, it ran like a champ.
why don't you just clean the whole EGR system while you're at it along with the TB. toss a can of injector cleaner in there, change the oil, and the car should be back in business.
Old May 25, 2006, 07:55 PM

Comatose,
DO you think the plugs are causing any problems? i have heard that the bosch's are not good. should i throw some ngk's in and be done with it?
Old May 25, 2006, 07:56 PM

the car has about 35k miles on it. what do you mean toss a can of injector cleaner in? and how do i clean the egr system?

Quick Reply: Idle problems