Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

LC-1 Wideband problems...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sykou
I think its cuz it's not seeing any af mixture its throwing the light.
exactly; it's because the sensor is not plugged in. i have the same code, only i have no sensor in the cat. put the stock sensor back into the cat and have a bung welded into the downpipe.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by comatose721
Airlinevomitbag,

"Conventional (narrow-band) exhaust gas oxygen sensors have been widely used in automotive applications since 1981. Conventional sensors have one to four wires and can only sense air/fuel ratio over a relatively narrow 14.5 to 15.0 range. They are intended to be used with 3-way catalytic converters that require operation near the stoichiometric point (14.7 air/fuel ratio). The range of narrow-band sensors is inadequate for performance tuning. While originally developed for lab and specialized automotive applications, wide-band sensors are ideal for tuning."

have you done your research?

You cut that out from a Honda forum. I am telling you you can lean out the factory settings with a narrow band. Put it on there with stock settings and it pegs or nearly pegs rich all the time. You can lean it out to where it only hits the first bar green. I could care less it is 14 or 14.5. Its less than what you started with. I know its leaner the gauge tells me its leaner, you adjust off the original readings. Too many tools out there saying you can't do this and you can't do that and they never tried it, just regurgitate what the last guy said.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by airlinevomitbag
You cut that out from a Honda forum. I am telling you you can lean out the factory settings with a narrow band. Put it on there with stock settings and it pegs or nearly pegs rich all the time. You can lean it out to where it only hits the first bar green. I could care less it is 14 or 14.5. Its less than what you started with. I know its leaner the gauge tells me its leaner, you adjust off the original readings. Too many tools out there saying you can't do this and you can't do that and they never tried it, just regurgitate what the last guy said.
#1 i don't even know of any honda forums; i read plenty on my own time from companies with credentials

#2 you are being EXTREMELY ignorant -> "i could care less it is 14 or 14.5. it's leaner than what you started with." --> that could be the difference between having an engine or having a melted block of aluminum and steel

#3 i already told you; if you choose to tune with a NB then, by all means, go for the gold.

#4 you can tune with a NB o2 sensor; although it is not recommended for 'performance' tuning
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

:sheepbaaaaaah: I'm done arguing with people who believe everything they read on teh intraweb.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

:sheepbaaaaaah: I'm done arguing with people who believe everything they read on teh intraweb.
i'll take AEM's opinion over yours any day
Old Jun 12, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

i'll take AEM's opinion over yours any day
Dude they are SELLING a product. Of course they say you NEED it.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Dude they are SELLING a product. Of course they say you NEED it.
i won't lie, that is very true. something else you need to consider though is; what pro tuner uses NB?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

i won't lie, that is very true. something else you need to consider though is; what pro tuner uses NB?
Thats just it. We are not pros nor are we racers. Should we really be worried about whether its 12.6 WOT. Nope as long as it pegs hard on the narrowband it should be OK. Pegged rich on the narrowband would represent about a 14.2 AFR where pegged lean is about 15.2 AFR. It's centered on stoich 14.7. Safe on turbo is 13 or under which the narrowband can't display but if you get it to peg and add some fluff you are right in there. Maybe not the optimal mixture for winning the race but who is racing an OZ, LS or ES anyways.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Thats just it. We are not pros nor are we racers. Should we really be worried about whether its 12.6 WOT. Nope as long as it pegs hard on the narrowband it should be OK. Pegged rich on the narrowband would represent about a 14.2 AFR where pegged lean is about 15.2 AFR. It's centered on stoich 14.7. Safe on turbo is 13 or under which the narrowband can't display but if you get it to peg and add some fluff you are right in there. Maybe not the optimal mixture for winning the race but who is racing an OZ, LS or ES anyways.
there is nothing there that i disagree with

btw, there is software out there to change the trigger point so it will peg rich or lean at your desired AFR's.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Airlinevomitbag,

"Conventional (narrow-band) exhaust gas oxygen sensors have been widely used in automotive applications since 1981. Conventional sensors have one to four wires and can only sense air/fuel ratio over a relatively narrow 14.5 to 15.0 range. They are intended to be used with 3-way catalytic converters that require operation near the stoichiometric point (14.7 air/fuel ratio). The range of narrow-band sensors is inadequate for performance tuning. While originally developed for lab and specialized automotive applications, wide-band sensors are ideal for tuning."

have you done your research?

Makes sense why it reads so rich at times, due to the 14.0 to 15.0 range. Thanks a lot. I think your right about the cel due to seeing no air fuel mix.