Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Brake light? WTF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light? WTF

ALright, this ones got me stumped. Perhaps this light is attached to a sensor i dont know about?

About 2 weeks ago my brake light randomly came on when driving and wouldnt go out. After about 3 days it went out and didnt come back....until last night.

The only things that happened just before the light came on was my egt gauge probe coming out a little bit from the manifold, which i noticed, pulled over, pushed it back in, and it was fine.

So on to the problem..... once the car is warmed up the "brake" light will come on. It stays steady when my foot is on the throttle, once my foot comes off the throttle it either A) blinks or B) goes out completely. Once i put my foot back on the throttle it comes on steady again.

Any ideas? the only other issue i'm having is a high idle, but i've had that before the brake problem. E-brake still works fine, and the light comes on when i have it up
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was gonna say a short in the wire someplace and then you said once the car warms up... so when you first start the car its off? Im confused..
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

reset the ecu see if that works
Old Jul 15, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Already reset the ecu. DIdnt go away. And yeah its once the car has been warmed up. and driven down the street. Like this morning for example. It was gone until i drove about a mile down the highway.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

nave u checked your BRAKE FLUID level???
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by housedj
nave u checked your BRAKE FLUID level???
Agreed - when you're on the throttle, the car leans toward the back (fluid heads to the rear of the MC). When you let off, it might be sloshing away from the sensor.

Your car monitors the brake fluid level. That way, if the fluid is low, you know one of two things is true:

1) leaking fluid
2) pads are low, causing the system to use more brake fluid
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Well the brake fluid was completely full, however i didn't realize the location of my air filter made it wedged between the brake fluid reservoir and the intake pipe so i'm guessing possibly when the engine was under load and the intake pipe moved it squished the filter against the reservoir and threw a brake light?. I decided to redo my piping anyway and put the MAF on the pressure side and get rid of my BOV recirc port. Just finished it and the brake light didnt go on for my quick drive down the block. SO we shall see.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sicktght311
ALright, this ones got me stumped. Perhaps this light is attached to a sensor i dont know about?

About 2 weeks ago my brake light randomly came on when driving and wouldnt go out. After about 3 days it went out and didnt come back....until last night.

The only things that happened just before the light came on was my egt gauge probe coming out a little bit from the manifold, which i noticed, pulled over, pushed it back in, and it was fine.

So on to the problem..... once the car is warmed up the "brake" light will come on. It stays steady when my foot is on the throttle, once my foot comes off the throttle it either A) blinks or B) goes out completely. Once i put my foot back on the throttle it comes on steady again.

Any ideas? the only other issue i'm having is a high idle, but i've had that before the brake problem. E-brake still works fine, and the light comes on when i have it up

I have the same issue
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

please pm me if you figure out what it is
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Check my above post before yours. I am almost positive now that because my air filter was wedged up against the brake fluid reservoir that when the car went under load the intake pipe pushed it even harder against the reservoir throwing something off and giving a brake light. I just took it for a drive around the block and it hasnt seemed to go on. I will make a quick post back here after i make a drive somewhere significant.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

sweet thanks. my intake is in there pretty tight also. i think AEM didnt really take a look at how well there intake fits